Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 02:20 PM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times

Advertisements

I have one spot that I would like to fill in for privacy-it doesnt have to be tall-just tall enough so I dont see my neighbors car. Its a pretty small spot that is mostly treed or with bushes. It does not get any sun and I am in NY. Any recommendations for something I can get at the nursery and do myself? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 03:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,218,289 times
Too many trees for a fence or trellis? Grow some climbing vines on it? Like Boston Ivy, Virginia Creeper or Clematis or mixture there of. Google shade vines and your zone.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:43 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Try some euonymos japonica. It's an easy to grow everygreen. Thrives just about anywhere and can be controlled with trimming into any space/shape/size you wish. Has pretty red berries in Fall

Old 10-26-2012, 05:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Too many trees for a fence or trellis? Grow some climbing vines on it? Like Boston Ivy, Virginia Creeper or Clematis or mixture there of. Google shade vines and your zone.
Those two are very invasive in our area. Have plenty to share

Also, Virginia Creeper loses its leaves - and then you'd see the neighbor's car in the Winter

Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,405,309 times
I'm in MD. My suggestions:

1. Columnar yew - I found out these are not salt-tolerant, but otherwise, yew is an evergreen which grows in shade and is pretty useful for privacy. These don't grow super-fast, so I'd get big plants. I would recommend Hicksii/Hicks. These are columnar in habit and can reach 20 ft, but withstand shearing.

2. Rhododendron - These also grow super-slowly, so I'd recommend a big one. You get privacy AND gorgeous flowers. Check the mature size before planting, since these can be difficult to prune. These in my yard appear to need a lot of water to get established.

3. Camellia - I am in LURVE w/ my Winter's Snowman camellia. Again, I'd get a big one as these don't grow super quickly. Double white flowers in Autumn.

BTW, it may be a little late to safely plant evergreens now... You may be better off waiting until early Spring.

If you contact a nursery, I'd suspect you can expect to pay 60 - 150 per plant for planting and mulching.

If this costs too much, you CAN plant large shrubs yourself. For the rhodies, I noticed I really have to dig a BIG hole, and ensure I cut the rootball to stimulate root growth. You may need to ask the nursery to order big plants and then pick them up.

You can also check out tree farms to see if you can order plants from them.

Hopefully my comments were helpful.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 AM

903 posts, read 3,580,534 times
Thanks everyone-I will be visiting nursery end of next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden