Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times

Advertisements

In Tennessee, we have some beautiful weeping cherry and also crabtree (they turn dark pink in spring)....I already have these, but was wondering if anyone has other ideas for a nice complementary color/flowering tree....I think Wisteria has the violet colour....not sure how easy it is to plant though....anyone have other ideas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,847 times
Flowering trees, while beautiful in flower, only display for a short period of time. I suggest you look for a tree with three or four season interest, that is a plant that not only flowers but has interesting bark, a nice natural structure, and fall beauty. Paper bark Maple, Acer Grisium is a nice tree, no flowers but great bark and structure as well as autumn beauty. Japanese Snowbell is another nice tree, more for the flowers as well as the drupes displayed after flowering. You may want to look into a Katsura tree, again no flowers but a wonderful three season tree, the leaves emerge a dark purple and change to a medium green for the growing season, then turn impressive colors in the fall. Also check out Persian Parrotia, great fall color and overall aspect. All the trees I mentioned are very disease resistant.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:25 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,268,930 times
Wisteria is easy to plant and you can let it trail or actually prune it into a bush - as long as it gets full sun it will be one happy camper. Warning - it will become invasive if just left alone, and if you let it climb it had better be on a very heavy arbor or something. It is so heavy it will tear limbs off of trees - if you grow it on a heavy trellis next to the house it will rip your gutters off if it gets up there and you put off the pruning "until tomorrow"...words spoken from an experienced veteran of the wisteria...but we have one that we've trained into a small tree/bush outside our bedroom and the smell is just absolutely wonderful...I only wish they bloomed longer.

Japanese maple is a lovely addition to any yard and is most spectacular in the fall, but I love the architectural look of the leaves year-round. Bradford pear always does well - and ginko if you just want a pretty fall showing of leaves. The tree itself is pretty boring except in the fall - and it dumps every single leaf at one time, but it's an eyecatcher for the autumn season. No flowers, though...

I also saw a tree called Harry Lauder's walking stick that is incredibly interesting in the fall and winter, but you'd have to look it up to see if it can thrive in your zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden