Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 12:23 PM

149 posts, read 271,007 times

Advertisements

I've been thinking about planting something like a fruit tree in the yard. I don't know what really, but something that would be easy to take care of and provide some delicious snacks from time to time.

So I thought I'd see what you guys grow, if anything. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 12:34 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,805,930 times
I'm growing lemons and key limes. Freeze almost killed them a couple years ago or so. I've got a dozen or so bell peppers in a two gallon pot waiting for the picking. Check out Square foot gardening in Garden forum!

Old 11-26-2012, 12:38 PM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
In summer I grow all our vegetable for eating. What ever I harvest we eat, freeze and can enjoy year round.I grew tomatoes,carrots,beans,okra,herbs,mint,peppers,chi lies,zuccini,cucumbers,and the list goes on...

Old 11-26-2012, 12:45 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,383,288 times
I love growing my own food. Summer time is wonderful.

In my garden I grow onions, lettuce, spinach, green beans, peppers, tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, cucumbers, peas, strawberries and this fall I grew more lettuce, spinach and turnips.

I also have many apple trees and blackberry bushes on my property. Next spring I am adding peach, pear, cherry, plum trees, and blueberry bushes.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
For Thanksgiving, we ate a home raised turkey, home grown parsnips and onions.

I've got about 40 fruit trees and a veggie garden. My freezer is full of home raised chicken, rabbit, and turkey.

I've got herbs, citrus, figs, and pomegranates growing in pots inside my house.

Old 11-26-2012, 03:53 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
For many yrs I had large gardens...last yr, moved to a townhome. At first I thought fresh vegetables and herbs were out for me...but then I had an atrium indoors/4 walls but NO roof.

This yr, raised potted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, green beans and a large no of herbs....pots allow no weeds, little to no pests. Easy to pick too.

Old 11-26-2012, 04:06 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
I feed the deer across the street to fatten them up....thats pretty close to growing your own food..

Old 11-26-2012, 06:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
For many yrs I had large gardens...last yr, moved to a townhome. At first I thought fresh vegetables and herbs were out for me...but then I had an atrium indoors/4 walls but NO roof.

This yr, raised potted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, eggplant, green beans and a large no of herbs....pots allow no weeds, little to no pests. Easy to pick too.
An atrium? Sounds beautiful.

OP if you are planning to grow a fruit tree, I would pick one suited to the climate, amount of sun and soil you have. I would actually recommend growing 1 -3 smaller trees if you have the room. Fruit trees do not always produce fruit depending on the weather, etc...so it would be nice to have a couple of choices.

I am attempting to grow my own food. I planted fruit and nut trees, berries and herbs. I put in a veggie garden and grow things organically. Honestly, to me veggie gardening is a lot of work, but I am hopefully getting better at it.

My favorite "food" to grow is ornamental edibles. These are perennials and shrubs which are included in my landscaping, but can be "food" in a pinch. I include blueberries, aronia, pawpaw, camassia quamash, daylilies, lilium henryi, roses w/ hips...etcetera. I try to include medicinal plants, as well.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM

37,450 posts, read 61,360,276 times
We have an orchard which has: Almond, Apples, apricot, Cherry, Chestnut, Elderberry, Ginkgo biloba, Hazelnut, lemon, Mulberry, peach, pear, Pecan, Plum, Walnut, and Witch Hazel.

Our garden produces: asparagus, Beans, beets, Bell peppers, Blackberry, Blueberry, Carrots, Corn, Cranberry, Cucumber, Eggplant, Fig, garlic, Ginseng, Goji, grape, Horse radish, Kale, Lavendar, mint, Leek, onions, oregano, parsley, peppers-hot, pumpkin, Radish, Raspberry, rosemary, sage, Spinach, Squash, Strawberry, tea [Camellia sinensis], thyme, Tomatoes, and zucchini.

I also harvest a marketable amount of fiddleheads, medicinal mushrooms, and resveratrol that grows on my land.

Old 11-27-2012, 05:56 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We have an orchard which has: Almond, Apples, apricot, Cherry, Chestnut, Elderberry, Ginkgo biloba, Hazelnut, lemon, Mulberry, peach, pear, Pecan, Plum, Walnut, and Witch Hazel.

Our garden produces: asparagus, Beans, beets, Bell peppers, Blackberry, Blueberry, Carrots, Corn, Cranberry, Cucumber, Eggplant, Fig, garlic, Ginseng, Goji, grape, Horse radish, Kale, Lavendar, mint, Leek, onions, oregano, parsley, peppers-hot, pumpkin, Radish, Raspberry, rosemary, sage, Spinach, Squash, Strawberry, tea [Camellia sinensis], thyme, Tomatoes, and zucchini.

I also harvest a marketable amount of fiddleheads, medicinal mushrooms, and resveratrol that grows on my land.
Ooooh! I love it! I am growing some of the plants you have. Sadly, I can grow "tea oil" camellia, but not camellia sinensis. It is too cold up here.

Do you actually eat the fiddleheads? And what do you do w/ the witch hazel? Is it the native witch hazel?

It makes me feel really happy to see so many people planting things in their yards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden