Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 AM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times

Advertisements

Feeding on our suet is a bird that looks like a Downy Woodpecker except it has a topknot. I can't find this bird in any of my bird books. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 09:00 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
I'm assuming you eliminated the woodpeckers that look most like or are a similar size as the Downy; the Hairy which is very similar and the Northern Flicker which looks quite a bit different. My best guess is another woodpecker: Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker whose male sometimes has a sizable crest. The third picture down in the following link shows the more distinct crest. Is that the topknot you saw?

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Conservation | Wild South

A less likely candidate would be the Red Bellied Sapsucker.... but it doesn't have anything resembling a crest or topknot look.

Without a picture it feels like shots in the dark but I hope this helps.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks J&Em. We have, and have IDd, all those you mentioned. This one is the smallest of the lot and has definite Downy markings. When I saw it the first time I thought that some way it had ruffled it's head feathers in the process of feeding, but it comes back several times each day. So, I guess, we have a Downy with anomalous head feathers. Too bad I can't get a photo of it. Oh well.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Feeding on our suet is a bird that looks like a Downy Woodpecker except it has a topknot. I can't find this bird in any of my bird books. Any ideas?

This is such a coincidence .. I just posted in the "11 trees you shouldn't have in your yard" thread about two Yellow Bellied Sapsuckers that are drilling into my maple trees ! I also have suet hanging out in the backyard but need to remove it. You cannot see their yellow bellies under the down, but they are small, and they are diligent. I need to get them to vamoose, soon.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I'm assuming you eliminated the woodpeckers that look most like or are a similar size as the Downy; the Hairy which is very similar and the Northern Flicker which looks quite a bit different. My best guess is another woodpecker: Yellow Bellied Sap Sucker whose male sometimes has a sizable crest. The third picture down in the following link shows the more distinct crest. Is that the topknot you saw?

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Conservation | Wild South

A less likely candidate would be the Red Bellied Sapsucker.... but it doesn't have anything resembling a crest or topknot look.

Without a picture it feels like shots in the dark but I hope this helps.

Yep .... that's what I've got too. Little carpenter beasties, drilling holes in my maple trees!

Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yep .... that's what I've got too. Little carpenter beasties, drilling holes in my maple trees!
All woodpeckers can be dangerous to trees in the yard but most go after trees already suffering damage from insects because they are looking to eat the insects. It's a bad feeling when you have a wood shingle home and they decide to take a liking to that instead of your trees. We were worried that it meant insect problems in our home's walls but it turned out to be male woodpeckers who like the sound and were trying to attract mates. On the other hand the sap suckers actually actually eat the "sap" and some of the inner wood of healthy trees, leaving leaky holes behind that attract other pests. I haven't had to fight them off (yet) but if I remember correctly there aren't many ways to keep them away once they find a tree beside wrapping up the bark with hardware cloth or burlap.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
All woodpeckers can be dangerous to trees in the yard but most go after trees already suffering damage from insects because they are looking to eat the insects. It's a bad feeling when you have a wood shingle home and they decide to take a liking to that instead of your trees. We were worried that it meant insect problems in our home's walls but it turned out to be male woodpeckers who like the sound and were trying to attract mates. On the other hand the sap suckers actually actually eat the "sap" and some of the inner wood of healthy trees, leaving leaky holes behind that attract other pests. I haven't had to fight them off (yet) but if I remember correctly there aren't many ways to keep them away once they find a tree beside wrapping up the bark with hardware cloth or burlap.

Thank you J&Em, it looks like that is what I'll have to do, get someone to wrap the tree. It seems the bird is only picking at one of my two maples, but I will probably have to wrap both so he doesn't simply move on to the other one. I already had 3 of the (ugly and messy) tan river birch trees removed because they are so messy and always shedding. Now my pretty maples. Ugh, darned sapsuckers. Off to the ag store today.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM

My understanding is that the Sap Suckers are pecking to get the sap oozing for their food, not insects. And other than being unsightly, there is no damage to the tree.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:32 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,947,401 times
No "Top Knot" on a Northern Flicker but look what it's doing to our house.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden