U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 08:51 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,220,595 times

Advertisements

The winter picture is quite pretty. It also helps somewhat in seeing what you want to do.

The problem with your wish list is that each "wish" (like only evergreen and very fast growing) eliminates a bunch of possibilities. Most evergreens are not very fast growing, especially in low to no sun conditions. Just to illustrate the following link shows a collection of fast growing shrubs, most of which are not evergreen and most require at least part sun. Fast Growing Shrubs | Fastest Growing Shrubs Your request is not an easy one! LOL

Hemlocks came to mind, they tolerate more shade and are evergreen, but they aren't considered fast growing by any definition.... and so it goes. Hemlocks are also a problem with pests and some diseases. Cypress and false cypress are also in the same category, all the shrub versions I could think of are all slow growing or need more sun.

The group of shrubs that were mentioned on the TV could be Barberries, some of which are not very popular and are considered invasive ( Invasive Exotic Plant Tutorial - Japanese barberry and European barberry ), and some are deciduous. They are fairly fast growing though. Of the group of them one stands out as a strong possibility: wintergreen barberry. Wintergreen Barberry - Berberis julianae - PNW Plants *just note if you have kids/pets I can personally attest that the the thorns are very long and painful. Be sure to look at which variety to avoid the dwarf and compact varieties which have become popular for landscaping. Other barberries can be seen here but many are deciduous: Barberry Bushes | Barberry Shrub Varieties

Spreading yews are dense and evergreen, tolerate shade and a few are considered fast growing but I'm not sure if it is fast enough: Weston Nurseries

Aside from the Holly I already mentioned there are members of the Ilex family that could work if you make sure they get some moisture in the first years Ilex glabra and a deciduous one that has fairly dense branching: Ilex verticillata
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 06:26 PM

15,231 posts, read 21,332,150 times
Excellent help, thank you so much. Have no doubt one of them will work. I really like Ilex's red color. Would have been nice accent, it's all uniformly boringly green.

Thank you once again. Very knowledgeable and helpful.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:25 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,220,595 times
You are welcome. I was hoping Azoria would check in. She knows so much about landscaping and has the most experience with your area and probably can name several candidates I've missed.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:28 AM

15,231 posts, read 21,332,150 times
Maybe.
Whatever grows fast, wild, thick, green winter time, is at least 6-7 feet tall, and does not cost arm and leg will do for me. As I'll have to plant A LOT of those for the span. Also, have to cover living hedge gap house builder left on the opposite side, about 30 feet wide, and have to match existing plants. That itself will cost me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden