Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 07:06 AM

20 posts, read 37,222 times

Advertisements

Hi , I have Norway Spruce , can i plant it now or wait till spring? I live in southern NJ( Cherry Hill)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 08:07 AM

106 posts, read 476,987 times
I went to my a local nursery to ask about having a magnolia tree planted over the winter, which they did yesterday. Of course I live in Texas which has a different climate than NJ, but the absolute worst time to plant it is in the summer because of the high water requirements and the stress that the tree experiences due to the heat. I recommend you consult with your a reputable nursery in your area.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:38 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Winter is normally not considered the ideal time for planting, especially if the temperatures regularly drop below freezing. In your area winters tend not to get too severe so, as long as you can dig the hole deep enough and water the tree at least once a week (soaking not a 5 second drip) it should work. Make sure you also mulch above the root ball to within 3 or 4 inches of the stem/trunk of the tree to protect the top most roots from freeze and thaw cycles. Ideally the best time to plant is at the very end of winter and very early spring when you tend to get more rain but if it is sitting above ground in a pot it will need similar watering to keep it from desiccating. Years ago I planted a live Christmas tree the same way and it grew beautifully.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,955,595 times
Best depends upon the local climate. The goal is to help the plant get established before it is stressed. Some places (and years) you can plant anytime but on average spring is the safest.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:48 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel31 View Post
Hi , I have Norway Spruce , can i plant it now or wait till spring? I live in southern NJ( Cherry Hill)

If you are willing to lose it give it a try. We have had a very mild winter, thus far, and if it continues you could be OK. That said, if I could I would hold on a bit longer and wait till the spring.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:03 PM

20 posts, read 37,222 times
Will wait till the early spring. Thank you guys for help :-)

Old 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
In our area I have heard quite a few people say to plant a tree in a month with an "r" in it. That takes us from September to April. Works every time that I've seen.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,784,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawel31 View Post
Will wait till the early spring. Thank you guys for help :-)

Since the experts here have spoken I sincerely hope that you have made plans to protect the tree from the coming months of temperature changes that can damage an exposed root ball since it will not be in the ground. You may need to cover the roots and water periodically and it should be kept in an area protected from the wind. I think it is a mistake to wait if you have the ability to plant it now.

I realize everyone has heard about "best" times to plant for landscape purposes, but this sounds like it might have been a live Christmas tree which is not quite the same as landscape planting. The universal recommendation is if you can put it in the ground do so right away and then you still have to protect it from wind and dessication.

http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-211.pdf

HGIC 1751 Living Christmas Trees : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina

The closest to Southern Jersey was a Long Island reference where they have similar weather conditions and same USDA zone:

http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Horticu...stmas-Tree.pdf

Old 01-19-2013, 09:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
You can plant trees in the months that have the letter R in them. Do not plant trees in months that don't have the letter R.

May, June, July, August are bad tree planting months. All other months are good, even the dead of winter.

Don't let anyone tell you winter is a bad time to plant trees. The dormant period is the ideal time to plant trees.

You only have to worry about how to water them during the snow periods since snow doesn't get water to the roots.

When to Plant Trees – Help for Figuring Out the Best Time

Old 02-10-2013, 11:10 PM

12 posts, read 24,974 times
Guy's i have to ask something which is that I have a rubberized shrub place that is increasing too huge for its pot, but I don't really have space for a bigger pot, so I'd like to split the place by its origins, if that will continue to perform. I've never done this before, so I don't quite know how.???

Last edited by Challis0; 02-11-2013 at 12:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden