Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 09:50 AM

43 posts, read 86,604 times

Advertisements

What are your favorite hot peppers to grow. I enjoy pimento L because they are very bright red, Jalapenos because they put out so many, same with habernaros, Rooster spurs because they are HOT, but have a good taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:46 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Ancho for stuffing, cooking, canning and salads
Jalapeno for cooking and canning
Anaheim for drying and salads
Habanero for cooking

Old 01-15-2013, 12:40 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
I grow a lot of peppers. My favorites are jalapeno, serrano, congo black habanero, Scotch bonnet, fatalii, malagueta, chiltepin, hot cherry, cumari, aji panca, aji amarillo, aji limon, red congo habanero, thai dragon, chocolate bhut jolokia, and Moruga.

I love poblanos but they never yield well for me in size or numbers, and I can buy them for cheap at the grocery store, so I don't grow them any more.

I also love manzanos and rocotos, but this species (pubescens) can't really be grown successfully in Indiana outside of a climate-controlled greenhouse. They need a year-round growing season + mild summer temperatures to grow well. They more or less cease growing and setting pods in the summer heat. When it cools down in the fall they resume growth and set a few pods but most of these don't ripen before the frosts. I'm lucky to get 4 or 5 pods when I grow these, even when I start them indoors in December or overwinter plants, so I've kind of given up on them.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Ancho for stuffing, cooking, canning and salads
Not to be pedantic but anchos are dried poblanos.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
What are your favorite hot peppers to grow. I enjoy pimento L because they are very bright red, Jalapenos because they put out so many, same with habernaros, Rooster spurs because they are HOT, but have a good taste.
Serranos are my favorite.

They are just hot enough, have a nice flavor and are small. I use them for all most all my "spicy" cooking. I like jalapenos also when I want that distinct flavor.

Next year I am planning on putting in one "ghost pepper" plant just because it is the world's hottest pepper and one "peter pepper", just because. LOL

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-15-2013, 01:00 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
Not to be pedantic but anchos are dried poblanos.
LOL, I thought it was the other way around.

Oh, well, you know what I meant ...

Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Serranos are my favorite.

They are just hot enough, have a nice flavor and are small. I use them for all most all my "spicy" cooking. I like jalapenos also when I want that distinct flavor.

Next year I am planning on putting in one "ghost pepper" plant just because it is the world's hottest pepper and one "peter pepper", just because. LOL

20yrsinBranson
I agree completely on serranos, they are my favorite pepper for using fresh. Great green or red, great in fresh, bright-tasting things like pico de gallo and also great in savory things. Just the right amount of heat imo to be able to use enough of the pepper to get the flavor of the pepper along with a nice heat. They are extremely productive and easy to grow and they continue to do well several weeks after the other varieties start to decline from the cold. They apparently evolved some extra cold tolerance since they came from mountainous regions in Mexico, they are always the last plant standing in my garden.

"Ghost peppers" are not the world's hottest pepper though, there are hotter, including Trinidad scorpions, 7 Pod Douglahs, Trinidad scorpion moruga, 7 Pod Brain Strain, etc. There's a constant shuffling at the top, a lot of hype and people trying to get records to cash in on, and not a whole lot of reliable data, which is why I don't get into the world's hottest pepper circus anymore, but they're a little below the hottest varieties. I don't mean to discourage you from growing them though, they are extremely hot and have a nice and very unique flavor.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:41 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,496,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugboy View Post
Jalapenos, because of the reason you stated. I was picking them up until about a month ago!

Old 01-16-2013, 10:45 AM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,301 times
Jalapenos! I can never get enough of them. My plant yielded so many I couldn't get them all before it froze and nipped them. IMO, one pepper I wouldn't recommend, is a banana pepper plant. They are horrible tasting. Blech.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:54 PM

31 posts, read 40,002 times
Jalapenos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden