U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:05 AM

1,149 posts, read 3,922,728 times

Advertisements

I think I will start planting some seeds in small peat cells today - not veggies this year, but I have some heuchera seeds that I'd like to have line the front (shady) pathway.

I also have some seeds for ground cover: creeping thyme, sedum, creeping blue speedwell, roman chamomile - that I am trying to figure out if I should just try and rake them into the ground, or start them in cells. Also have some sapphire lobelia and lavender (hidecote blue) seeds. For now, I'll start with my Coral Bells
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,696,055 times
I made a new raised bed and the skeleton for my cucumber frame. I put in dirt and spinach and kale seeds yesterday. Another experiment with "early" crops. I should have the chicken wire tacked to the "cucumber frame" by the time they've germinated, I hope.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM

9,428 posts, read 11,673,736 times
I put some sunflower seeds out at our lakehouse (lake shack, LOL) today. Don't know when we'll get there again so they are on their own.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 PM

374 posts, read 458,831 times
We've been growing all year. But since we do have cold weather here,no more greenhouse for awhile after this year. So far peppers,cabbage,tomatos,lettuce planted in soil and some in hydro.

I planted potatos about 2 weeks ago,they look good almost tiem to cover them with soil again. We have about 20 tomatos on the plants now.

Also have been eatign lettuce for weeks now from our hydroponic reservour.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM

4,944 posts, read 6,482,170 times
the one luxury I allow myself, for now, is someone that helps me in the yard, as I refer to it. He doesn't like to pull weeds and such, he likes the creative things like building a trellis or a walkway and we try and trade off. Also, since he has a "record", it is hard for him to find work so......but, I am not going to be able to afford him too much longer. It has been a great run and I don't know what I will do eventually. I will soon be 70. I love being outside.

Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,696,055 times
I transplanted a rose today. It was in the wrong place. It was easier than I thought. Maybe I will tackle the lilacs next...

Old 03-12-2014, 06:29 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,546,241 times
Couldn't stand it... Hopefully the coldest weather is passed and I won't have to build too many more "cold frames", cuz I got crazy with starting a whole lot of stuff in the greenhouse the last couple of days.

If it produces the majority of its crop above ground, it's in seedling containers, getting a jump start on the growing season. That 250 sq ft of new ground that I just worked up, isn't going to be nearly enough room. I have one more area that I'm turning "back into" garden, but it's only about 120 sq ft. Looks like we're going tt be either losing more "lawn", or I'll be building some new planters.

Yes! I have the fever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden