U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM
 
Location: rain city
2,958 posts, read 11,789,953 times
Reputation: 4927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
All the garden centers are beginning to stock now. I just picked up 2 huge bags of potting soil and couldn't resist buying the lily of the valley and bleeding heart bulbs. Came home and checked on their requirements and found they won't grow well for me (if at all) in Dallas. Why do stores sell plants that won't grow in that area?
No, bleeding hearts will not grow for you in Dallas.

They will sell them to you, but this plant does not love heat and does not love Dallas. Don't buy them. Waste of your money.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
77,820 posts, read 90,634,794 times
Reputation: 48756
I am starting to shudder at all the clean up we will have to do, before we can even think of our garden. Because of our mild winter, many of our weeds never even died out. Our rock area looks like a bunch of squatters lived here. Our veggie garden will take days to get ready and I am about willing to place bets we will have no major snow or ice storms this year. if we don't get something in another few weeks and none is predicted we will have another snowless winter. The good news, we are getting more rain than last year. Let's hope it continues. With the almost spring like weather and all the catalogs, plus email reminders from seed companies I am getting antsy, but like I said, I just hope I can get down and back up again..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 11:29 AM
 
1,064 posts, read 3,354,906 times
Reputation: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
All the garden centers are beginning to stock now. I just picked up 2 huge bags of potting soil and couldn't resist buying the lily of the valley and bleeding heart bulbs. Came home and checked on their requirements and found they won't grow well for me (if at all) in Dallas. Why do stores sell plants that won't grow in that area?

Oh yes, bleeding heart bulbs...I tried so hard and they did absolutely nothing. I starting keeping a list of plants that will not grow where I live, no matter how pretty they are and I REALLY want to buy them. I agree, I don't know why they even offer them here in the Metroplex and surrounding areas. I have pretty much decided that unless it is a hardy perennial, a native plant or a bulb that will grow back, I won't be buying it. Waste of time and money...damn you pretty plants!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 PM
 
15,262 posts, read 17,880,773 times
Reputation: 25524
Last weekend I planted lettuce, spinach, beets, carrots and radishes, and everything but the carrots have started to come up. But to those of you who are freezing right now, take heart, because in July/August/September it will be so hot here we won't venture outside until after 8:00 p.m. and you'll be able to sit on the patio and enjoy your homegrown tomatoes.

But it's great to be taking advantage of our mild weather for now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 01:03 PM
 
9,428 posts, read 11,719,351 times
Reputation: 10253
My Century Plant sent up a baby this year, so I just dug that little guy up and put it in a pot. I think my dog cut her foot on the baby, though. :-(
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 03:56 PM
 
1,064 posts, read 3,354,906 times
Reputation: 588
Huh, I had to look up what a century plant was...had no idea it was an agave. Some of my family members have them and they are beautiful but can be dangerous! We have Spanish Daggers everywhere and they hurt like HELL if the leaf points get you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 6,956,360 times
Reputation: 2736
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I am starting to shudder at all the clean up we will have to do, before we can even think of our garden. Because of our mild winter, many of our weeds never even died out. Our rock area looks like a bunch of squatters lived here. Our veggie garden will take days to get ready and I am about willing to place bets we will have no major snow or ice storms this year. if we don't get something in another few weeks and none is predicted we will have another snowless winter. The good news, we are getting more rain than last year. Let's hope it continues. With the almost spring like weather and all the catalogs, plus email reminders from seed companies I am getting antsy, but like I said, I just hope I can get down and back up again..
I feel your pain, in more ways than one! This winter has been perfect for growing a bumper crop of winter weeds here. It's been too cold for doing much work for most of the time when I have been home, but its been plenty warm and wet enough for those weeds to be putting in some mighty strong roots. This spring is going to be a killer at this rate. I hope you figure a way to make it easier in your back when the time comes.

Sadly the overly warm beginning of the winter fooled lots of plants into early budding and growth. My cherries began blooming right before the last cold snap, as did the creeping phlox and my candytuft are blooming their hearts out right now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 PM
 
9,428 posts, read 11,719,351 times
Reputation: 10253
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Huh, I had to look up what a century plant was...had no idea it was an agave. Some of my family members have them and they are beautiful but can be dangerous! We have Spanish Daggers everywhere and they hurt like HELL if the leaf points get you.
I love Spanish Daggers but won't plant them because of that, too close to eye level. I do have some "soft" yucca but even those can get ya! The dog ignores the agave, but the pup it had sent up was about 2 feet away and I just didn't see it. It's out and potted now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 PM
 
3,339 posts, read 8,245,232 times
Reputation: 4273
Yikes, the leaf buds on all my Knockout roses are swollen and getting ready to break! It's way too early! Last year, they all leafed out so early, I only had a chance to prune back a few of them!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 AM
 
8,026 posts, read 8,477,378 times
Reputation: 11529
QVC just had a gardening/outdoor living day...
I couldn't help it!...I bought:

- a set of 10 sun patiens (all kinds of various colors/annual)
- a set of 4 WINTER HARDY perennial snapdragons (yellow, pink, white)
- a set of 3 ice plants (blooming evergreens perennial --pink and red)
- a set of 8 hens and chick (perennial/red, pink, blue)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:35 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top