U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM

9,428 posts, read 11,686,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes, the fever has started and I put 2 sweet potatoes in jars yesterday. They will have plenty of time to sprout their roots before they go into the ground. Now, the fever is going out a little, just temporarily; tonight we are due for some wintery weather, including a possible ice storm. We haven't had one in over 4 years...I don't think it will be anything like the last one, but even a little one takes the wind out of the gardening sails...
Ugh. You're north of me but it's cold here now! We're expecting just a cold rain, but it's bumming me out!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:29 AM

77,666 posts, read 90,231,741 times
Well I finally got my self motivated enough to put in my Burpees order. I just orders 3 kinds of squash, including my favorite: patty pan: 2 kinds of cukes, one is good for potting and I ordered Kentucky Wanders. I have, in the freezer my cantalope seeds from last year and my acorn squash seeds. Now, it is clean the garden up time (probably in about another couple of weeks) and then get the top soil layed. I also have my sweet potatoes rooting in water.

Am I the only one that is jumping in this early? My positive nature (sometimes) tells me, this cold snap we have right now will be our last...Ok, so it is barely 20 degrees as I type, that is changing, today should make it to 40 maybe, yesterday, 37!!!!

Old 02-23-2013, 09:56 AM

3,339 posts, read 8,207,290 times
I need to go to Home Depot today to buy bird seed, so I guess I'll look at seeds....sighhhhh. We had a foot of snow a few days ago and are expecting another 8-10 inches on Monday. I'm exhausted. I need something summery to do.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM

11,257 posts, read 9,421,546 times
I was out in the woods today, and Harbinger-of-Spring is starting to bloom! It's a little white wildflower with tiny clusters of even tinier blossoms above an inch and a half ste, and easy to overlook among last year's fallen leaves, but with cold rain, sleet and snow in our forecast, it was certainly uplifting to find this miniscule promise of spring.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:44 PM

3,339 posts, read 8,207,290 times
We had a foot of snow last Thursday and are getting at least another foot overnight tonight. This Friday I have my first Master Gardener's hotline shift for this season at the Extension office. It should be interesting, sitting and looking at phones that don't ring.....

Old 02-25-2013, 08:32 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,934,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
We had a foot of snow last Thursday and are getting at least another foot overnight tonight. This Friday I have my first Master Gardener's hotline shift for this season at the Extension office. It should be interesting, sitting and looking at phones that don't ring.....
It won't make it better but we don't have the snow and will probably still have that same 'don't ring' this week because it is going to be so cold again. Maybe you'll be lucky and someone will have questions on the seeds trays they got growing under gro-lites. I got that last year about this time. This winter will end, really, it will!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM

403 posts, read 771,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
How is it possible that I'm ALREADY thinking about spring gardening?

Winter just started, Spring is MONTHS away. AND I don't have any place left to put anything new anyway!

But QVC did a couple Roberta's Gardening Show hours, and that pricked my latent gardener's virus OMG they showed some GORGEOUS delphiniums! I don't know what I'm going to do when the weather REALLY starts to get warm....
Ha! It is the right time of year to start your veggie plants indoors. Started purs two weeks ago & already have garden planned, including flowers.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 PM

403 posts, read 771,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I can relate. Physical challenges make gardening difficult. It is so depressing not to be able to garden that I can't even watch garden show, go on garden tours, etc. I'm putting my creative juices back into cooking and crafts and sewing but I do miss my dirt fix. A few pots on the front and back porches will have to do.
Have you thought of raised mini gardens? When my brother had ALS we built him his own patio retreat full of mini gardens he could roll up to in his wheelchair.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:37 PM

21,079 posts, read 19,003,246 times
We just had our very first crocus bloom today here in SE Pa. I say today but it wasn't quite open when I got the mail today at 1:00 pm but it was getting warm( mid 40s) and was sunny so that should have helped it along. That was a yellow one, I haven't seen any of the white snow drops or purple ones yet. Its been a weird winter. Some long cold snaps but none too severe, not much snow but lots of rain, and not very many warm spells and then only brief ones.
I don't know what Spring will be like but its been trending to be later than usual and then it gets hot at the very end.
The midwest and southwest and New England are getitng out share of the heavy snows.

Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM

6,472 posts, read 14,713,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well I finally got my self motivated enough to put in my Burpees order. I just orders 3 kinds of squash, including my favorite: patty pan: 2 kinds of cukes, one is good for potting and I ordered Kentucky Wanders. I have, in the freezer my cantalope seeds from last year and my acorn squash seeds. Now, it is clean the garden up time (probably in about another couple of weeks) and then get the top soil layed. I also have my sweet potatoes rooting in water.

Am I the only one that is jumping in this early? My positive nature (sometimes) tells me, this cold snap we have right now will be our last...Ok, so it is barely 20 degrees as I type, that is changing, today should make it to 40 maybe, yesterday, 37!!!!
NO way! I ordered my seeds at the beginning of February! I'm skipping sweet potatoes this year. I love eating them, but I'm so lazy...I looked at all the root vegetables in the catalogs and then thought "I have to wash off dirt." LOL My mom always grows a lot of root veggies, so I'll get some from her.

I planted a few snow peas in Feb, too. It is an experiment to see what I can get away direct sowing in winter. I thought I had finished my plans, but I decided at the last minute to plant kale and spinach and try to get more of a head start. Supposedly you can put the spinach seeds out literally on snow, and have them germinate when it is warm enough. If it works, that would be a dream come true for me since I love spinach.

My shallots from last year are still green. I think they may turn out to be a semi-permanent part of my garden. You know...like the ornamental allium they sell in catalogs. Unfortunately I found out shallots give me the most horrible gas ever, so I don't eat them. This is also the third year for the asparagus...so whoa...am I in for a nice surprise in Spring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden