Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 06:38 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
A blanket of nearly 10 inches of snow fell last night, effectively cooling off that fever for me. I don't even want to see any of those catalogs for at least another 2 months or so but i know they will be filling the mail box soon.

Anyone know where I can order a giant box of stamina - the kind I had in my 30's or even 40's? During my working years, living in a big city I used to daydream about the sort of grand gardens I'd have once I retired and moved to a place with more land. Retired, got the land but can't find the energy to create those magnificent landscapes now.
I'm sorry to hear that. Seeing my mom get started on her garden in later years is what inspired me to be the fiend I am now. I looked at my social security statement, and my retirement age is 67 If you have more money than stamina, maybe you can hire a landscaper to do the bigger jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 01:22 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
I'm afraid my enthusiasm is damped down a bit, at least until we get through the coming week. Lows on are all to be below 0 for the next 4 days with Wednesday night's low of - 17. After that perhaps with the longer daylight I will start to be a bit more optimistic. I have had to do alot of thinning of my perennials the past 2 seasons. It seems after something has been in the ground for 3 years it's time to divide. I have given away so many iris, astillbe, ferns etc and things still seem a bit crowded.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:45 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
I just started getting seed catalogs, the fiends! As I look at my garden buried in snow and frozen dirt from 6 weeks of highs below 32, and lows below zero. *sigh*

Looking forward to Memorial Day when I can start planting.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Spring comes early here. Some cold weather seeds are planted, like spinach and letttuce, and my little tomato seedlings are on the kitchen windowsill. Just a few little things like this keep me going until the real planting begins.
If you have any local greenhouses nearby, it's like a mini vacation to walk through them when its cold outside. Even my local Lowes and Home Depot greenhouses are nice to visit at ths time of year. In the south, they are already filled with tropicals and pansies and shrubs.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Burpees keeps sending me EMails and it makes me want to just start now, not even wait. Of course I won't. So far we have had literally no snow, and not many really cold days. Well we have had some but the moisture is missing. I know, if this continues for another 3 or 4 weeks we should have an early spring. That is fine with me, just so we get enough rain this year.

Yes, I am beginning to think garden, but have some concerns about my ability to bend down this year. I will see the Orthomedist as soon as the referral comes through. I am hoping I don't have to have surgery; what a bummer, no gardening, would really upset me....

Let's pray I will be ok, still able to get up and down and have another year of growing my squash, tomatoes, beans, and let's not forget my cantalope from last year; This time I saved the seeds and will know what it is..

Old 01-23-2013, 03:50 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
I was excited the other day when I saw that my Lenten Rose is pushing up new growth here in Denver. It's not a spectacular plant, but it's the first thing to bloom and will be flowering in February. Crocus will be next, then other bulbs. I'm counting down to March 1st (36 days!) when I'll be able to fill my flower boxes with pansies.

On the bright side, I guess it's nice to have no yardwork for 3 months.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Burpees keeps sending me EMails and it makes me want to just start now, not even wait. Of course I won't. So far we have had literally no snow, and not many really cold days. Well we have had some but the moisture is missing. I know, if this continues for another 3 or 4 weeks we should have an early spring. That is fine with me, just so we get enough rain this year.

Yes, I am beginning to think garden, but have some concerns about my ability to bend down this year. I will see the Orthomedist as soon as the referral comes through. I am hoping I don't have to have surgery; what a bummer, no gardening, would really upset me....

Let's pray I will be ok, still able to get up and down and have another year of growing my squash, tomatoes, beans, and let's not forget my cantalope from last year; This time I saved the seeds and will know what it is..
I just prayed for you Nita. Maybe getting a massage would help, or a program of physical therapy in lieu of surgery. There's a type of PT you can get now which involves water. I bet you can even get heated water therapy. Maybe something like that can help, if the Dr. agrees.

BTW you inspired me to try cucumbers again this year. I can grow lots of things, but cucumbers simply will not grow for me. Those lemon cukes you had sounded unkillable, so I'm planning to try them.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I just prayed for you Nita. Maybe getting a massage would help, or a program of physical therapy in lieu of surgery. There's a type of PT you can get now which involves water. I bet you can even get heated water therapy. Maybe something like that can help, if the Dr. agrees.

BTW you inspired me to try cucumbers again this year. I can grow lots of things, but cucumbers simply will not grow for me. Those lemon cukes you had sounded unkillable, so I'm planning to try them.
Thanks so much. I am a prayer caller for our church and rarely think about having myself on the prayer chain but think I will tonight. We haven't gotten the appointment yet, hopefully, in the next few days..I can't imagine not being able to do my planting but if that is all I have to worry about, good for me. A lot of others have things really rough.

Now, if I don't get to do the cukes, you can do some for me and send them via pony express or something.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:18 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
We never finished our fall cleanup either. We have a huge garden/landscape that is really too much for me. I got my landscape design certification and became a Master Gardener for our county, and I thought I was superwoman when we chose an undeveloped 3-acre place. I am very happy not gardening right now! I am thoroughly enjoying cooking, sitting by the fire with a good book and playing with our puppy. We have a pretty long gardening season here in Kansas, so this is a nice break.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Old 01-24-2013, 10:43 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I was excited the other day when I saw that my Lenten Rose is pushing up new growth here in Denver. It's not a spectacular plant, but it's the first thing to bloom and will be flowering in February. Crocus will be next, then other bulbs. I'm counting down to March 1st (36 days!) when I'll be able to fill my flower boxes with pansies.

On the bright side, I guess it's nice to have no yardwork for 3 months.
Yall on the front range have been in tshirts and shorts while we've been in the deep freeze on the western slope. Planting time here is always Memorial Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden