Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

well we are getting a real downpour and the temps are around 70 degrees, too bad I know we have 2 more months of winter, which we really do need...Just think, if this was late March or early April the pure soaking of the garden would be perfect to start adding the new top soil and getting the garden ready.

and J&E , I loved the information on raised beds for the handicapped. What a wonderful way for the disabled to get out in the fresh air, and enjoy the thrill of growing a garden..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2013, 08:58 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
We've just had a spell of about 2 weeks of sub freezing temps---like it is 9 degrees, it is 16 degrees, and at night it is 2 degrees. Silly and horrible and depressing.

I had tried, once again, to get a rosemary and a lavender plant through the winter. I put them in the small glassed in porch and they were still alive until recently when I forgot they were out there and they froze to death.

I'll try again next year with the rosemary but I think I need to make a big sign: TAKE IN ROSEMARY PLANT IN SUB FREEZING WEATHER and tape it across the door so I'll see it.

I keep saying I'll plant some romaine and when it germinates, I'll set it out on the porch. Can't seem to get motivated though. It would be a healthy thing to have on hand, better than rosemary.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 AM

311 posts, read 467,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm afraid my enthusiasm is damped down a bit, at least until we get through the coming week. Lows on are all to be below 0 for the next 4 days with Wednesday night's low of - 17. After that perhaps with the longer daylight I will start to be a bit more optimistic. I have had to do alot of thinning of my perennials the past 2 seasons. It seems after something has been in the ground for 3 years it's time to divide. I have given away so many iris, astillbe, ferns etc and things still seem a bit crowded.

I have to say I Don't miss Maine weather & temps. My hubby was stationed in Limestone (way back when Loring AFB was there) I remember thinking I'll never see the ground again!!
Here in TN it's snowing right now and can't wait any longer...I've planted my parsley and basil in indoor containers. My garlic is coming up out side already and the daffodiles are in bloom....Only to be frozen this weekend. I am ready for spring

Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Well it was a beautiful day here so I did some yard clean-up. I noticed that some of my hardy perenniels like salvia are already starting new leaves, I have a huge mess of parsley growing crazy for spring/summer butterflies as well as some dill. Around Valentines I'll prune the roses. Hoping we don't get any ice storms in the next few weeks, I've got the fever!

Old 02-03-2013, 12:43 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,758,855 times
Txngl,

same here...did yard work for 10 hours yesterday...seriously...(we have a very large yard and some acreage) and I have noticed my salvias, mexican petunia, bradford pears, daylilies and my knockouts starting to bud/new leaves. I love that but I am a little worried about it being too early. I was hoping to trim by knockouts back but am not sure if I should now since the little red buds are everywhere. My herb garden is starting to grow too....garlic, mint, chives.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Well things were a bit more bearable this week with milder temps and no new snow - also more daylight. We've gained about an hour since the solstice. I won't be seeing any activity in my perennial garden for at least 6 more weeks and that may be the helebours. I have only one plant but for the past 3 seasons it has been outstanding. It has huge leaves and very sweet white blossoms. The seem to last a very long time too. I have had my Christmas cactus bloom twice. The first one at Christmas time and it was loaded with over 2 dozen flowers while the second time was fewer but just as pretty and welcome as the color adds alot during the dull winter months.

Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM

Location: (Orginally From Ann Arbor, MI) Now reside in Evans, Georgia
560 posts, read 1,143,101 times
I am concerned a bit also. I am in Zone 8B and my fig trees are budded out already. My day lillys, climbing roses, All my herbs are growing( new growths) and my tropics are starting to bud already and I am worried if it just far too early for them to be doing so

Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Txngl,

same here...did yard work for 10 hours yesterday...seriously...(we have a very large yard and some acreage) and I have noticed my salvias, mexican petunia, bradford pears, daylilies and my knockouts starting to bud/new leaves. I love that but I am a little worried about it being too early. I was hoping to trim by knockouts back but am not sure if I should now since the little red buds are everywhere. My herb garden is starting to grow too....garlic, mint, chives.
I just checked my knockouts, guess I'll be leaving them alone. I cut them back whenever I feel like it, anyways. I saw some daylillies, too!

Old 02-03-2013, 03:25 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
All the garden centers are beginning to stock now. I just picked up 2 huge bags of potting soil and couldn't resist buying the lily of the valley and bleeding heart bulbs. Came home and checked on their requirements and found they won't grow well for me (if at all) in Dallas. Why do stores sell plants that won't grow in that area?

Old 02-03-2013, 03:42 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,402,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
All the garden centers are beginning to stock now. I just picked up 2 huge bags of potting soil and couldn't resist buying the lily of the valley and bleeding heart bulbs. Came home and checked on their requirements and found they won't grow well for me (if at all) in Dallas. Why do stores sell plants that won't grow in that area?
Isn't that a great question? Maybe they think it will guarantee future sales.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden