Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,701,903 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I have brown thumbs. We just got back from Florida and saw lots of pretty flowers. So for summer, I thought we would try something simple. Maybe a couple of big pots for the patio. It gets full sun for 3-4 hours in the afternoon, but shaded otherwise. Something hardy, but still pretty. Petunias? Imaptiens? Could we mix these 2 types in a pot, or is 3 hours full sun too much for impatiens? I don't mind keeping some good soil and peat and watering, but don't want to do much else. We don't like marigolds. I think they smell bad! Any other hearty plants for spring and summer? We are in N Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Off of the top of my head it sounds like you may do well with begonias, "Sunpatiens" (impatiens bred to tolerate the sun), ageratum, nasturtium, zinnia, petunias, annual geraniums, snapdragons (dwarf varieties fit nicely with other annuals in pots) annual vinca and Four O'Clocks. I'm sure a few more gardeners will have their own favorites to add soon.

It is actually a hard combination to make recommendations for because afternoon sun is hard on those plants that like part sun conditions and it is not enough sun for plants that thrive best in full sun conditions. The ones listed above may not flower as much as they would in full sun but they will be green and flowering with steady watering and a little fertilizer now and then.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:33 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
One flower that I love is nasturtium. Just stick the seeds into the soil and they grow. They don't need much tending and will tolerate most conditions that would kill other plants. They look great in a hanging basket with their yellow-orange cascading blooms.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 AM

Nasturtiums have large, decorative leaves besides the showy flowers. Favorite easy summer flower.

Old 01-21-2013, 11:40 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
I'm not super fond of them, but annual cosmos are pretty easy to grow. I had some in full sun, and some in partial afternoon sun similar to the conditions you describe. They're easy to start from seed. But be warned, a teeny seedling becomes a gigantic, somewhat floppy plant covered in flowers. I planted a mix of pink and white ones, and I get volunteers every year.

Another suggestion is sweet potato vine (ipomea batatas). I'm from the Caribbean where we eat these, and I would recommend "murasaki." I actually ate one when I lived in a city... I stole it from a public planting. ke ke ke. But I wouldn't recommend eating an ornamental cultivar. Anyway, Murasaki is sold as a vegetable and you can buy it from Burpee. Again, one teeny plant becomes a pretty big vine, so plant accordingly.

The ones I planted in pots last year were so pretty. They got purple and white flowers in late summer here in zone 7. When not flowering, the vines trailed like mad and looked awesome, so you may consider including one or two in a pot with another annual.

The vines grew in full sun, partial afternoon sun and even grew in my Shade Garden. These root along the ground if they touch dirt, so you may need to trim them occasionally, but the best part is when you empty the pot, you can eat the potatoes. Just don't let them freeze.

Caveat: I've only ever grown cosmos in the ground, not in pots. My advice would be to get a fairly large pot and ensure it has drainage holes in the bottom.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:13 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
If it doesn't have to be annual you could try astillbe, with a few trailing petunias (which are annuals) around it. Then in the late summer or early fall just transplant the astillbe into the ground and it will rebloom indefinetly, each season. I have 5 or 6 clumps in various spots around the garden and find they bloom for quite a while. Most of mine are in different shades of pink. Send for a catelog from White Flower Farm. It has lots of great ideas. You can Google them and get the address. Another favorite of mine for hanging pots is fuschia. The one I like the best is "Swingtime" and I put some white Baccopa with it for quite a show all summer.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 01-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: a

Old 01-21-2013, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Nasturtiums have large, decorative leaves besides the showy flowers. Favorite easy summer flower.
These look beautiful! I was thinking of getting flowers that have already been started and ready to plant. You know, something available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Is it just as easy to start with seeds? Again, I plan on just getting a couple big pots, some potting soil and the palnts and seeing how they do.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm not super fond of them, but annual cosmos are pretty easy to grow. I had some in full sun, and some in partial afternoon sun similar to the conditions you describe. They're easy to start from seed. But be warned, a teeny seedling becomes a gigantic, somewhat floppy plant covered in flowers. I planted a mix of pink and white ones, and I get volunteers every year.

Another suggestion is sweet potato vine (ipomea batatas). I'm from the Caribbean where we eat these, and I would recommend "murasaki." I actually ate one when I lived in a city... I stole it from a public planting. ke ke ke. But I wouldn't recommend eating an ornamental cultivar. Anyway, Murasaki is sold as a vegetable and you can buy it from Burpee. Again, one teeny plant becomes a pretty big vine, so plant accordingly.

The ones I planted in pots last year were so pretty. They got purple and white flowers in late summer here in zone 7. When not flowering, the vines trailed like mad and looked awesome, so you may consider including one or two in a pot with another annual.

The vines grew in full sun, partial afternoon sun and even grew in my Shade Garden. These root along the ground if they touch dirt, so you may need to trim them occasionally, but the best part is when you empty the pot, you can eat the potatoes. Just don't let them freeze.

Caveat: I've only ever grown cosmos in the ground, not in pots. My advice would be to get a fairly large pot and ensure it has drainage holes in the bottom.

I think I might has seen these in Puerto Rico before? They are very unusual!

Old 01-21-2013, 02:14 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
what about different kinds of sunflowers they have all kinds now like Lemon Qeen , nastrrtums are very nice too yes and very colorful also forget me nots etc .. I just love all kinds of flowers in pots and always have pots full of colorful flowers and half the time my neighbors ask me what Im growing this year .

Old 01-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
These look beautiful! I was thinking of getting flowers that have already been started and ready to plant. You know, something available at Lowes or Home Depot.

Is it just as easy to start with seeds? Again, I plan on just getting a couple big pots, some potting soil and the palnts and seeing how they do.
You can buy nasturtiums already in the pots and growing. I just plant the seeds because with nasturtiums it's so easy. Some potting soil or just plain garden soil, push some seeds into the soil according to the directions on the seed package and keep watered. wooosh! With young plants, don't let them dry out, but don't over water them (the leaves will turn yellow) either.

Pots of nasturtiums can stay out in the sun and not die so easily if you forget to water them AND they last all summer, even into the fall. They're easy. In the fall you have your autumn colors already in place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden