Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 AM

67 posts, read 242,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
*Sobs* Why do people post questions about using chemicals in the gardening forum.
Because they work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:27 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Default That's exactly what you want

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I have tried the Walmart generic Roundup and it is very slow to work.
I usually see results in a week, and that is a good thing. That means the chemical has been transported to the roots and is giving you a thorough kill.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:33 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocD357 View Post
Because they work?
Why shouldn't people ask about garden chemicals in a garden forum? Even in an organic garden forum there would be questions about pest and weed control. Integrated Pest Management is widely accepted as the most sensible approach to pest control, and I have absolutely no problem pulling out the big guns when necessary.

People come here wanting to know what to use, and when to use it. It is better that they do ask questions rather than just dump a bunch of chemicals all over in the hopes that they'll work. If you choose not to use any pest control chemicals in your garden, that is fine, but please don't preach to those of us who have some education on the subject and use them discreetly and responsibly.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM

67 posts, read 242,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Is one brand of pre-emergent better than another? Also, do most of you buy concentrate and spray it in a bug sprayer?
Sorry, got off topic without answering! There's good advice here. It depends on what sort of area you need to treat in terms of the concentrate vs Ready-to-Use (RTU). Little 1-2 gallon sprayers are great for a number of products, but cleaning between uses is important, i.e. clean out as soon as you're done spraying. If I were you, I'd have one sprayer for non-selective or heavy-duty products that you know will injure or kill whatever or a lot of you touch (like glyphosate, glufosinate, pramitol, Tordon/picloram, triclopyr), one for selectives or pre-emergents (Preen, or 2,4-D), and probably one for insecticides/fungicides if needed for your application.

Some of the common PRE herbicides contain trifluralin, pendemethalin, oryzalin, dithiopyr, and some others.

Preen has trifluralin in it, and it's the one that I advise users to water in as UV light will speed the breakdown (considerably). Some folks are familiar with the yellow-colored granules from professional landscapers and lawn companies, that's the active ingredient pendamethalin. Dithiopyr isn't too widespread on the market (Dimension). Oryzalin is Surflan, as Bulldogdad noted, also good stuff.

Timing is sorta important on these things, as they are going to have virtually no effect on emerged weed species. Going too early means that the product degrades (or worse, runs off into the ditch) and may not have the concentration necessary to blast the root meristems of the weeds to oblivion (insert evil weed-killing laugh here... okay, it really doesn't BLAST them).

Great advice below, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER for preemergent to work correctly and not get pollute run off.
If you don't understand something on the label, don't feel bad or embarassed about it. Labels are designed (and EPA reviewed) to get you results and minimize off-site effects (if any). Ask your local Extension Agent, most counties have one or are near one. Better yet, ask your Extension people if there is a Master Gardener to talk with. They love to talk about gardening and would be thrilled to help. If that fails, post your question here, if that fails, feel free to send me a note.

Last edited by DocD357; 02-02-2013 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: More content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden