Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 04:01 PM

10,026 posts, read 17,947,510 times

Advertisements

I got a lot of helpful replies when I asked about planting flowers in my front yard, so now I have a question about my BACK yard.

It is quite large ... my lot is 1.29 acres and probably 2/3 of that is my back yard. The back yard is almost a perfect southern exposure (according to the solar panel guys, it was great!) so gets lots and lots of sun. Here are a few photos, kind of a panoramic view from the left (that is the door from my screened porch) ...

I have a LOT of planting room and would like to plant some fruit bushes/small trees. I was thinking cherry and blueberry (maybe because those are two of my favorites!) but am open to others. I don't have to do them all this year, of course! Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 AM

10,026 posts, read 17,947,510 times
Hmmm ... do you think I would have more luck posting in the NH forum instead?

thanks,
Karen

Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,739,382 times
There are a limited amount of fruit trees that will do well in NH, the further south in NH the better it is. It's not just the zone but the relative micro-climate. Many fruit bearing trees are easily damaged by late freezes and frosts just as the trees are blooming. Damaged blossoms won't set fruit. At one time I lived south of you, but in the same USDA zone, where fruit trees grow a little bit better but even there we'd have the occasional years that were not so great.

Here's some information on which trees can survive and produce fruit and in what parts of NH.

http://extension.unh.edu/resources/f...585_rep607.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden