Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 08:38 AM

974 posts, read 1,890,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
People pay $9.99 for fast growing annual garden plants? I really need to get into that business.
You have no idea what city people would pay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 04:41 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,725,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowbe202 View Post
You have no idea what city people would pay!
Yeah, I've actually seen those $10 plants. It always amazes me that a $2 plant turns into a $5 plant two weeks later, and then into a $10 plant two weeks after that.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:01 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,775,613 times
Glad you have interest, OP!

I had a lge garden for yrs then moved to a townhome...have an atrium w/full sun in summer (four walls, no roof) in my new place. Last 2 yrs I have grown everything in pots and have been thrilled with the results! (and I have a horticulture degree )

First, find our your area zone for gardening (just type in the question, your zip).
Buy or prepare GOOD soil, as your plants will only have a reduced amt for growth/fruiting etc. If in a hot area, use soil with water-retention additives or make your own.

I only use mostly transplants...seeds take too long in most cases to suit me. Have had good luck with: cherry tomatoes or those with smaller fruit, small peppers (pimento, jalapeno), cukes,eggplant, pole beans...veggies with smaller fruits and/or those that can GROW UP (lattice, string, trellis etc) are your best bet due to space issues.

Herbs do well but some take full sun and can take a lot of space...so, instead of the basil usually planted, there is a basil that grows in a small rounded bush form. SUN: rosemary, , sage, basil; some shade: parsley, thyme, cilantro. OH, I also used the cheap shoe storage bags that hang on doors....filled with soil after cutting hole in bottom on each pocket...planted shallow-rooted lettuce and spinach with great results. (but lots of water needed). I also have small potted lemons, limes and an orange tree.

The 10 bucks for a plant sounds terrible but: if you only have room for ONE plant, and you want fruit early and easily, then a plant already to the stages of blooming etc can actually be more suited to your balcony. Planting sm tomato transplants will give you fruit but only after weeks and weeks of waiting!

Have fun
Gardening can be done ANYWHERE with time and forethought
Plenty of websites for container gardening of fruits/veggies

AND: your plants are weed-free

Last edited by greatblueheron; 02-24-2013 at 05:09 PM..

Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
OP...I know you are asking for info about herbs and veggies, but how about that "Top hat" blueberry? It would be easier to take care of in a pot, since you could better control the PH etc...plus I've always wanted to try one, so I can live vicariously through you. When I lived in an apartment, I grew peaches and highbush cranberry. But my patio was pretty sunny.

I used terracotta, which I've learned is not recommended for year-round outdoor use since it can crack. I also use glazed ceramic and those big fiberglass pots that look like concrete. I liked the fiberglass pots since they were a lot easier to move and provided pretty good insulation for the roots. The same plants are in my outdoor garden today.

Too bad you don't have a lot of sun. Burpee has a new sweet corn that was bred just for containers. I think it would be fun in an apartment. After the ears dry up in the fall....Instant Fall Decor!

Old 02-26-2013, 04:01 AM

127 posts, read 293,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OP...I know you are asking for info about herbs and veggies, but how about that "Top hat" blueberry? It would be easier to take care of in a pot, since you could better control the PH etc...plus I've always wanted to try one, so I can live vicariously through you. When I lived in an apartment, I grew peaches and highbush cranberry. But my patio was pretty sunny.

I used terracotta, which I've learned is not recommended for year-round outdoor use since it can crack. I also use glazed ceramic and those big fiberglass pots that look like concrete. I liked the fiberglass pots since they were a lot easier to move and provided pretty good insulation for the roots. The same plants are in my outdoor garden today.

Too bad you don't have a lot of sun. Burpee has a new sweet corn that was bred just for containers. I think it would be fun in an apartment. After the ears dry up in the fall....Instant Fall Decor!
I wanted to edit the title for fruit. I hadn't been sure what kinds of fruit I could reasonably grow in my situation (I'm also in zone 6-7 SEPA). You can grow and keep a peach tree in a pot? Blueberries would be welcome, as well as other fruit suggestions

Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzbone227 View Post
I wanted to edit the title for fruit. I hadn't been sure what kinds of fruit I could reasonably grow in my situation (I'm also in zone 6-7 SEPA). You can grow and keep a peach tree in a pot? Blueberries would be welcome, as well as other fruit suggestions
Yes, but to be fair, I kept mine in pots for only two years.

I got peach trees on dwarf stock from home depot. The fiberglass pots I used were very big as well. About three feet high by 2-3 feet wide. The trees fruited and everything. It was pretty cool, but I would have had to top prune and root prune them to keep them in pots long term, I suspect.

Do you know anything about bonsai? It might be worth it to get a book. You can probably root prune almost anything and keep it in a pot. If you are going to have outdoor potted plants, the rule of thumb is to get something that is hardier than your current zone. If you have a sunny window, you can grow a calamondin inside. I had one for about 10 years before I got rid of it. Sour little fruits, and delicious smelling blooms.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:55 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,551,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerys52SoSilver View Post
25 years ago we had a balcony.I used to grow basil , rosemary , melissa , marjoram , thyme , tomatos , chili peppers in pots.

What is melissa? Is it the same thing as sweet annie?

Old 02-28-2013, 12:07 PM

2,421 posts, read 3,551,957 times
We are currently overseas in the Balkans and away from our regular east coast gardening. We do have two small balconies that get alot of mid morning sunshine. I have already started from seed: cucumbers, zucchini, pole beans, sunflowers, cilantro, dill, basil, I bought two rose bushes, a dahlia plant. I also plan on marigolds for bugs, portulaca since they are good in hot areas. When the green market here makes them available, I will pick up a couple of tomato and pepper plants. This will be my first try at this as well, so I will be watching the forum for suggestions. I think this will be a challenge.

Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarragon View Post
What is melissa? Is it the same thing as sweet annie?
I think melissa is lemon balm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden