Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 02:35 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,842,837 times

Advertisements

I have recently moved to a semi-arid part of the Southern Black Hills in South Dakota. Last year I had limited success raising onions, tomatoes, zucchiney, & peppers. I can irrigate the garden, but I am sometimes not at home for extended periods to take care of such chores on a regular basis. Does anyone have suggestions on what vegetables I should be planting that can do well under dry conditions?

uh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,239,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I have recently moved to a semi-arid part of the Southern Black Hills in South Dakota. Last year I had limited success raising onions, tomatoes, zucchiney, & peppers. I can irrigate the garden, but I am sometimes not at home for extended periods to take care of such chores on a regular basis. Does anyone have suggestions on what vegetables I should be planting that can do well under dry conditions?

uh
You could put a drip irrigation system on a timer. Otherwise, I doubt much will grow with semi-arid conditions combined with erratic watering. We grew tomatoes, peppers, and eggplant on our patio in Tucson, but that surely did require some watering! Good luck.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:29 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,320,729 times
Do I?!

Okay...do I? Yep, I do.

1. Grain Amaranth - Native to our continent. I remember eating bags of toasted amaranth in Mexico. Growing Grain Amaranth: Production tips, economics, and more

2. Okra - Another veggie that's widely grown on the drought-prone island where I was born. I looked it up and yep...Okra is drought tolerant and according to this website, originated in Ethiopia. In the Bins: Okra: Have a taste of the world's most drought-tolerant veggie - Santa Cruz Sentinel

You can find nurseries which sell the items above.

Old 02-23-2013, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I am also considering putting the plants out earlier in the season when there is more moisture and cooler temps. I live in a banana belt that warms up faster than the surrounding countryside. I have some styrofoam cones in case I get too early a start.

uh

Old 02-24-2013, 02:44 AM

Since Amaranth is a grain crop, rather than a veggie, something else might be more practical in a garden.
Okra is probably drought tolerant, but it does best in hot humid climates such as Louisiana or Mississippi. Probably not for hot, dry climates that one finds in a semi-arid region.

uh

Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,730,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post

uh

Unlike xeriscape planting for flowers and greenery growing normal vegetables requires a commitment in care, especially they will be in need of regular watering. My first thought was to look for a community garden to work in where someone else might be responsible for the watering needed or a timed irrigation set up might be in place. Or you can install a timed irrigation system in your garden area. That would be the best answer to not being there to water the veggies.

Another option might be a container planted system where you can water it every so often and the water is collected in a reservoir system and wicked back to the plants for a period of time. I know several gardeners who have done this with porch and patio planters when they are gone for a week long vacation. I did a quick search and didn't find perfect examples but here are a DIY cheaper version and an example of a purchased set in use:
How To Make A Self-Watering Container & Planter | Urban Organic Gardener

These 5 Self-Watering Planters Make Vegetable Gardening Easy : TreeHugger

The more drought resistant veggies out there usually have deep roots such as squashes and melons. Dark Star zucchini are supposed to do well in drier conditions. Cucumbers can be used in fairly dry conditions and, once established prefer to be watered less often than any people realize. If tomatoes have had a chance to get deep roots they can take some neglect in dry conditions, the best/strongest are usually cherry tomatoes although I've heard good things about the 'HeatWaveII' tomato for hot and dry conditions, too.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,768,138 times
I live in basically a high desert, very arid, hot dry summers. I have a raised bed garden, and an irrigation system on a timer. Garden pretty much takes care of itself.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:18 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,499,574 times
Drip and timer as suggested before.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:06 PM

6,954 posts, read 11,983,187 times
Absolutely get a dripper system for your garden. You can just forget it for as long as you want and the plants are happy cause they are getting water. Without it here in Phoenix area, nothing would ever grow since we get 7 inches of moisture a year.

Old 02-26-2013, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the answers everyone. I am convinced I will have to set up an irrigation system with a timer. Also as suggested we will be focusing more on melons, squash's, etc. We still have zucchini's from last year and I plan to start our tomatoes earlier so they have a chance to become established before the hot weather waether hits. I'll just have to watch the weather reports for frost warnings and cover them.
Thanks again,
uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden