Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 12:09 PM

1,149 posts, read 4,195,621 times

Advertisements

I have what I consider to be a massive camellia bush (tree??) in the front of my house, against the backyard fence. My arborist was horrified at the thought of pruning it; my neighbor says it is the most impressive camellia bush in the neighborhood. It is definitely beautiful - blooms several times a year, with very odd colors. It is just... huge. And I am starting to worry about it a bit because the limbs of the "tree" are definitely leaning to either side, and I suspect it is top heavy. These are some pictures I took a few minutes ago:

Would you recommend pruning it, and how (other than get a REALLY tall ladder, haha)? Right now, I do absolutely nothing to this plant... no fertilizer, no watering other than what it gets from rain... nada. I'll likely rake away the old blooms soon, but then again, maybe I should leave them there for mulch?

Any advice (and possibly identification, since I didn't know camellias could produce different color blooms on the same plant, I'm new to this) would be welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,109,778 times
I suspect that this particular bush is one that has more than one variety grafted together.

As far as pruning, that's up to you. I think I would leave it alone. I like the big bushes. It's difficult to prune a camellia so that it buds back out evenly. Cut out any dead branches.

Rake the old blooms up. Petal blight ofter gets started on the fallen blooms and then spreads to the living bush.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:04 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,684,466 times
Agree, just me but I wouldn't prune it either.

It's not obstructing anything, not in the way, and it has a nice natural shape.

I'd leave it alone. I like it the way it is.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM

50,023 posts, read 63,359,544 times
I love pruning things, but I agree, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. What I would do is cut off any branch that crosses another, or is dead.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM

Oh, if it doesn't need to be pruned, I won't touch it. I like the privacy it gives our backyard! The limbs just look like they're going to snap in two if it keeps growing, and since I never grew camellias, I worried that I was being negligent

Also, never knew you could graft plants together. I'll have to look that up - I mean, the different blooms are often on the same branch, but who knows what the previous owner did to manage it! My neighbor tells me she was quite the gardener, but I wish she didn't go quite so overboard in the front yard... 27 cubic feet of mulch, ugh!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:49 PM

560 posts, read 1,285,832 times
That’s a beautiful camellia! If it was mine it would be hard to keep myself from cleaning up the branches around the bottom third of it, but probably best to leave it alone like everyone said. One of my camellias (Spring Circus) is supposed to be multicolored like that, but it hasn’t bloomed yet.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,391,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I suspect that this particular bush is one that has more than one variety grafted together.

As far as pruning, that's up to you. I think I would leave it alone. I like the big bushes. It's difficult to prune a camellia so that it buds back out evenly. Cut out any dead branches.

Rake the old blooms up. Petal blight ofter gets started on the fallen blooms and then spreads to the living bush.
Or maybe it's more than one plant (I can see more than one trunk going into the ground? I'm with everyone else in terms of not pruning in general. I would however cut out the dead branches to encourage internal growth - and to get the plant(s) to bush out. Also - I am not a big fan of the branches that run across the ground (mostly because our ground can get very wet during summer rains and encourage rot/bugs - and those limbs can really start to look messy). I sure wouldn't prune the top of this camellia. Robyn

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,391,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post

Or maybe it's more than one plant (I can see more than one trunk going into the ground? I'm with everyone else in terms of not pruning in general. I would however cut out the dead branches to encourage internal growth - and to get the plant(s) to bush out. Also - I am not a big fan of the branches that run across the ground (mostly because our ground can get very wet during summer rains and encourage rot/bugs - and those limbs can start to look really messy). I sure wouldn't prune the top of this camellia.

BTW - I have a couple of ideas about the identification. When did this camellia bloom? Robyn

Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Or maybe it's more than one plant (I can see more than one trunk going into the ground? I'm with everyone else in terms of not pruning in general. I would however cut out the dead branches to encourage internal growth - and to get the plant(s) to bush out. Also - I am not a big fan of the branches that run across the ground (mostly because our ground can get very wet during summer rains and encourage rot/bugs - and those limbs can start to look really messy). I sure wouldn't prune the top of this camellia.

BTW - I have a couple of ideas about the identification. When did this camellia bloom? Robyn
It's definitely the same plant - both white and pink are on the same branch in some spots. Not to say there aren't more than one trunk, but I figured it was the same odd camellia from all of them.

It started blooming in late January... and hasn't stopped, lol. It puts out blooms several times a year.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:53 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,946,563 times
Well your Camellia is just beautiful! Like the OP, I also came into a camellia when I moved into this house. Mine isn't blooming yet, and I am so impatient. I see camellias in full bloom across the river in Portland, but mine, located in Vancouver, WA just sits there with its big fat buds waiting for something. On the other side of my yard, sits another, less robust camellia which has put out two red blooms. It has others on the way, unless they have decided not to progress.

I've never had one of these. So having one is a delight. But I am so impatient.

In the big camellia there is a limb that grows inward and crosses over to the other side of the tree. I think it needs to be pruned out. Yes? And I intend to fertilize with a high acid fertilizer after bloom. Yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden