Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 04:47 AM

167 posts, read 310,767 times

Advertisements

Dreaming here. More snow today. Have a small green house. The weather has been crazy this winter snow, then it melts, warm weather, repeat. Hurricane Sandy, a n'rtheaster and wind wind wind wind wind. Yesterday it was 60MPH winds today it is snow again. I have a small green house (not heated) and itching to get out there usually March 1, a little behind stores are just getting seeds and dirt in. It will be in the 50's this weekend, the snow will melt and I'll be in the warm greenhouse, setting up and getting ready to plant. So looking forward to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 04:51 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,312,269 times
Is cold today so looking through my seeds box see what I have.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:06 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
Still snow on the ground here but more than a few days in the 40s should take care of that. There is always the possibility of more snow anytime in March so mostly what I'm doing is "planning". I will start a few seeds inside and check out the combinations of things for my containers. Hubby just told me that a town in MA "Mansfiled" near where we lived years ago has gotten 14" of snow last night and it's still snowing. This is such a different winter from 2011/2012. We are going to the Portland, ME flower show tomorrow and I can't wait. I have heard it is a good one. It's been running about 13 years and I have never been. Looking forward to some ideas from it.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:53 AM

57 posts, read 46,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla151 View Post
Dreaming here. More snow today. Have a small green house. The weather has been crazy this winter snow, then it melts, warm weather, repeat. Hurricane Sandy, a n'rtheaster and wind wind wind wind wind. Yesterday it was 60MPH winds today it is snow again. I have a small green house (not heated) and itching to get out there usually March 1, a little behind stores are just getting seeds and dirt in. It will be in the 50's this weekend, the snow will melt and I'll be in the warm greenhouse, setting up and getting ready to plant. So looking forward to it.
I feel your pain. We're on our third day of hurricane force winds, and the temperature does well to get above 45. The sidewalks are covered with big puddles of water where the ground is still so wet it can't absorb any more. Stores don't have any sprouts for sale yet.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,943,945 times
Last week I repotted all my container plants with fresh soil, added another foot to my vegetable garden in the lasagna method, and pruned all my roses. This weekend I'll create another bed for a flower garden and work on my compost pile. It's been in the high 50s/60s during the day and chilly at night. The flowering trees are starting to bloom and my lawn is looking like it's time for its first mowing of the year.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
This weekend I'm taking down my climbing rose bush, which is now widely infected with rose rosette disease. You have no idea how depressed I am about this! I thought about letting it bloom one more season, but the sooner I take it down the better.

If anyone has suggestions on a climbing plant(s) for the trellis, I'm all ears. I need something for a little privacy on the front porch.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:00 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This weekend I'm taking down my climbing rose bush, which is now widely infected with rose rosette disease. You have no idea how depressed I am about this! I thought about letting it bloom one more season, but the sooner I take it down the better.

If anyone has suggestions on a climbing plant(s) for the trellis, I'm all ears. I need something for a little privacy on the front porch.

You have my sympathy. Rosette disease is spreading all over and it is so awful with no treatment available except an expensive preventative that I'm not about to spring for. Our local rosarian is beside herself with worry over her garden since it is wall to wall gorgeous roses. I just noticed that easily half the roses in the landscaping of a local store, which won awards in design, are infected. Those people will having to pay for a costly replacement landscape once it gets spotted. I will probably be yanking 2 roses this year. I cut back all signs of infection on them well below the area of the disease last year as soon as I spotted it but don't hold out hope that was enough.

What kind of sun exposure and how dense do you want to make the cover to be for your privacy? Clematis are always the first thing that comes to mind but there might be some other possibilities. I've been hearing more about Variegated Kiwi ( Actinidia kolomikta ) but it may get too big for what you need. Actinidia kolomikta

Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Thanks; I like the look of that variegated kiwi, and of course clematis is always a possibility. I especially like the fall-blooming clematis, and woodbine ... but woodbine might not be the best choice, given its enthusiastic growth. There already are a few dwarf azalea shrubs nearby; I could easily plant a few more to shade the clematis roots.

The porch faces south, and gets plenty of sun all day long, from about one or two hours after sunrise to an hour or two before sunset. I would prefer something along the denser side for shade and privacy.

I probably won't plant anything permanent this summer; the trellis has been long neglected and needs and paint job and some reinforcement at the top. It was meant to be, I guess ... Makes me sad, though, because not only is that rose bush stunning in mid-May and provides plenty of shade and privacy, but also I'm afraid to plant roses now ...

Old 03-08-2013, 09:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,802,181 times
We should wait until April 15th or we risk having to cover everything. I'm getting itchy to get started on planting spring flowers and am repeating "it's too early" as needed. I think I'll go to my favorite garden store this weekend and plan what to put in the pots on the patio. No buying, just planning!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
I'm looking forward to starting a new garden this year. We had one several years ago before we moved. Can't wait to grow our own food again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden