Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure - this might be better over in the food forum but I guess I will start here.

I planted horseradish two years ago in a big wooden planter. It has done well, despite all efforts by my chickens to scratch it up, and I've been anxiously waiting for the best time to harvest it.

Most things I read on-line said to wait to harvest for at least 18 months after planting and to wait until after the second hard freeze of the winter for best results. It's been a mild winter here and we were well into January before we had what I would call a couple of hard freezes.

So, I put a nice beef roast in the crock pot today, googled a couple of "how to harvest horseradish" websites, and went out with my pitchfork and dug up a root.

The root I brought in was probably 12-14 inches long and wasn't particularly thick; I figured that was ok because one of the sites I googled said to use root that was about finger thick.

I peeled it and cut it in small pieces and ran it through my food chopper, one of those little mini processor things.

Most things that I had read said to keep windows open because of the fumes, which I did, but I didn't find them to be that bad. It was definitely strong and you didn't want to get your face too close or to breathe too deeply but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be; I honestly thought I was going to need a gas mask by what some of the sources said.

Anyway, I never did get a real smooth paste in the chopper; it was rather grainy.

I added a little white vinegar, water, salt, and sugar but I just could not match the taste of store bought horseradish. I even tried mixing it with a little sour cream; still no go.

So, I need some help troubleshooting what I did wrong. Could it be possible that I got a taproot and should have dug the whole plant up and went for bigger root, closer to the plant? And maybe that's why the fumes weren't as strong as what I understood they would be?

I have only had store bought prepared horseradish (which I love), so part of me wonders if the "real" stuff shouldn't even be expected to taste like store bought?

I would sure appreciate some help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 10:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,207,078 times
I have never processed it myself, but my ex-father in law use to grate it. He always said to only harvest it in a month with an "R" in the name. But he usually harvest in September. I sure miss his horseradish, I can occasionally fin it in the produce section where you'll usually find the refrigerated dressings. Grated and really hot.
Here is a link that may help. How to Prepare Horseradish Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 03-06-2013, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
I have never processed it myself, but my ex-father in law use to grate it. He always said to only harvest it in a month with an "R" in the name. But he usually harvest in September. I sure miss his horseradish, I can occasionally fin it in the produce section where you'll usually find the refrigerated dressings. Grated and really hot.
Here is a link that may help. How to Prepare Horseradish Recipe | Simply Recipes
Thanks. I looked at that site and it said to do pretty much exactly what I did.

I'm wondering if I got the wrong root? The root that I used looks just like the chopped up root in that picture but the only thing that I can think of that I can do differently is to take a piece that's closer to the plant.

I know I was kind of afraid that I would damage the plant, so I was hesitant to dig too close to it. But I was looking a little more closely at one of the sites I had googled and they said to dig the whole plant up, take what you want off it, and then replant it.

So.....at this point, that's the only thing I can figure. And I'm thinking that the lack of pungency when I was processing the root might have been my first clue that I was doing something wrong.

That, and one of the sites said hand grating works much better than the food processors or choppers.

Oh, well......even if I can never get it right, it's still a handsome plant to have in the garden.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
I have a plot of horseradish too.
Once it's established it's hard to kill or eradicate.

Chopping doesn't seam to release the oils as well, grating kind of works.

I run it threw my meat-grinder. This helps to release the stiff that clears your nasal sinus.

Like garlic crushing it is best to release the flavor.
jmo

Old 03-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
I have a plot of horseradish too.
Once it's established it's hard to kill or eradicate.

Chopping doesn't seam to release the oils as well, grating kind of works.

I run it threw my meat-grinder. This helps to release the stiff that clears your nasal sinus.

Like garlic crushing it is best to release the flavor.
jmo
Thanks for responding.

So you agree that it is better to grate than to chop. Hmmmm........I guess I need to dig out my meat grinder and try that.

I'm going to try it again this weekend; the next time, though, I'm going to try for some of the bigger root and I'll try grating it, either with a hand (cheese) grater or my meat grinder.

Do you use the vinegar/water/salt/sugar brine mix? And do you mix the horseradish with anything, such as mayonnaise or sour cream, for serving?

Old 03-07-2013, 10:38 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,168,071 times
Just vinegar/water/salt/ and remember to peal it.

Grating seems to be better than chopping but grinding it is best.
When you break up the fibers it releases more of the flavor.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
Just vinegar/water/salt/ and remember to peal it.

Grating seems to be better than chopping but grinding it is best.
When you break up the fibers it releases more of the flavor.
Thanks.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Chop then use food prodessor add seasoning you like.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:23 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,482,219 times
I don't grow the stuff - but I buy it in the store. I use a microplane to grate it. Usual recipe would be for horseradish sour cream sauce. Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden