U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 04:44 PM

13,908 posts, read 12,308,703 times

Advertisements

I was at a freinds house and he was telling me about his mothers pineapple plants. We live in Ohio so I was bit dumbfounded by the idea until he explained it all to me. Apparently you can take the top off your grocery store pineapple and make a house/garden plant out of it?

Anyway, I bought two pineapples today and I'm going to try it. Have any of you done this before? What kind of results have you gotten and what are your experiences?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 04:49 PM

5,546 posts, read 7,778,068 times
i live in florida and do it all the time. sweet pineapples

Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,704,229 times
Will that work north of Florida? In a drier climate?

uh

Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM

13,908 posts, read 12,308,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Will that work north of Florida? In a drier climate?

uh
I guess you can do it about anywhere but if you live in a place that gets cold in winter, you should probly stick to just growing it as a house plant.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:03 PM

34,963 posts, read 56,833,455 times
I saw one at the fair last year. It took them 5 years to finally produce their first pineapple fruit.

I started one here this winter. So far it looks half dead. Hopefully this summer it will grow.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:05 PM

374 posts, read 488,756 times
We have grown them from tops,it did'nt take 5 yr.s but I took them off too soon.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:24 PM

440 posts, read 814,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I was at a freinds house and he was telling me about his mothers pineapple plants. We live in Ohio so I was bit dumbfounded by the idea until he explained it all to me. Apparently you can take the top off your grocery store pineapple and make a house/garden plant out of it?

Anyway, I bought two pineapples today and I'm going to try it. Have any of you done this before? What kind of results have you gotten and what are your experiences?
My mum used to give the pineapple tops for us to grow as kids-I don't think we ever got a pineapple ( long process-kids attention span!) I did however grow an avocado plant from the seed which I ended up giving to my sister many many years ago and it's still doing well!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM

77,800 posts, read 98,095,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sossie View Post
My mum used to give the pineapple tops for us to grow as kids-I don't think we ever got a pineapple ( long process-kids attention span!) I did however grow an avocado plant from the seed which I ended up giving to my sister many many years ago and it's still doing well!
But no avocados right?

Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM

31,241 posts, read 32,249,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But no avocados right?
I always wondered. I never had mine that long.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM

5,178 posts, read 7,119,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I saw one at the fair last year. It took them 5 years to finally produce their first pineapple fruit.

I started one here this winter. So far it looks half dead. Hopefully this summer it will grow.
I live in Florida and many years ago, I planted some tops. Yeah, I didn't think they were ever going to fruit until I put an apple (it gives off a gas) down into the center of the plant. Walla ! it formed a pineapple and I was off and running.....the original plant will not make a new fruit but, the pups on the sides will fruit faster. I had a whole clump of them and never fertilized or watered them. I always had pineapples though small from lack of care...I finally had to move that bed and I am now starting another one, if the neighbors don't still the pineapples....lol.

Just as a side note....I spent a ton of money on water and fertilizer and a banana plant. Too much expense for the return and the old plant needs to be cut down. They spread, as well. Too much effort. I got one stalk of ladyfinger bananas and they were heaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden