Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 10:15 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times

Advertisements

The neighbors that own the land that backs up to the back of our back pasture have been working like bees jacked up on Mountain Dew lately. They're putting in a road of some kind that wanders all over the land back there.

We've got nearly 10 acres that we'd planned on bush hogging, fencing and putting in some cattle or goats or maybe a couple horses. We're concerned though that what they're planning on doing is putting in a four wheeler track for their grandkids. Great for the grandkids, stressful for livestock.

So we'd like to plant shrubs or trees that would provide some privacy back there and will grow quickly. We're in middle TN, on the edge of the Cumberland plateau. The USDA map looks like we're zone 6/7 - I've seen 7b by searching by zip code. Our summers can be in the lower 100 degree range with high humidity, though it's usually more like the mid 90s. Winters can be a few stretches of 5 or 6 inches of snow in the yard for several days, but usually is just half a dozen snows or so of an inch or two that only last a day or two each.

Our land is mostly clay with river rock. The terrain is very hilly. I don't know off the top of my head which direction it's facing, but one side is cleared land with pasture grass and the other is virgin timber - mostly oaks and walnut, but some pine and cypress as well.

Can anyone suggest a tree or shrub we can plant along the border that will grow fairly quickly? The trees / shrubs will be well behind the fence so I don't need to worry that the trees themselves are poisonous to the livestock, but need something that doesn't have poisonous fruit / leaves that may blow into the pasture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Floridata: Elaeagnus pungens
Thorny Elaeagnus - Shrubs
This is used quite a bit in Memphis as a hedge plant. I've seen them thriving in full sun and in partial shade. Grows fast, gets pretty sizable, is evergreen and is not poisonous to people, not sure about animals. Some species are considered invasive.
Very fragrant too, I've been known to cut branches to bring into the house.

200 S Perkins Rd, Memphis, Shelby, Tennessee 38117 - Google Maps
Not a very good picture, but you can get and idea how thick and tall the bushes get.

Last edited by DubbleT; 03-07-2010 at 02:23 PM..

Old 03-07-2010, 02:34 PM

174 posts, read 540,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
The neighbors that own the land that backs up to the back of our back pasture have been working like bees jacked up on Mountain Dew lately. They're putting in a road of some kind that wanders all over the land back there.

We've got nearly 10 acres that we'd planned on bush hogging, fencing and putting in some cattle or goats or maybe a couple horses. We're concerned though that what they're planning on doing is putting in a four wheeler track for their grandkids. Great for the grandkids, stressful for livestock.

So we'd like to plant shrubs or trees that would provide some privacy back there and will grow quickly. We're in middle TN, on the edge of the Cumberland plateau. The USDA map looks like we're zone 6/7 - I've seen 7b by searching by zip code. Our summers can be in the lower 100 degree range with high humidity, though it's usually more like the mid 90s. Winters can be a few stretches of 5 or 6 inches of snow in the yard for several days, but usually is just half a dozen snows or so of an inch or two that only last a day or two each.

Our land is mostly clay with river rock. The terrain is very hilly. I don't know off the top of my head which direction it's facing, but one side is cleared land with pasture grass and the other is virgin timber - mostly oaks and walnut, but some pine and cypress as well.

Can anyone suggest a tree or shrub we can plant along the border that will grow fairly quickly? The trees / shrubs will be well behind the fence so I don't need to worry that the trees themselves are poisonous to the livestock, but need something that doesn't have poisonous fruit / leaves that may blow into the pasture.
Well, leyland cypress is evergreen and grows very quickly (the drawback is that they have poor root systems and will often fall over in storms.) They respond well to pruning and will cause a minor skin irritation at the worst.
Leyland Cypress gaining popularity in South

Or Golden Bamboo if you can find it (non-toxic)
Golden Bamboo Plant Guide | Phyllostachys Aurea Plant Information | Garden Guides
golden bamboo plants - Google Product Search
Just make sure to create root barriers or it's rhizomes will spread *everywhere*

Or poplar
Hybrid Poplar
The Hybrid Poplar

Lists of Toxic and non-toxic plants:
Poisonous Plants
Manes & Tails Organization Horse Rescue - Plants Toxic to Horses
Toxic / Nontoxic Plants
Pasado's Safe Haven - Non-toxic Plants (http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/HOMEPAGE/02_14_09WEBSITE/nontoxic/nontoxic.htm - broken link)
Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Horses

Old 03-07-2010, 03:05 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Be very careful with eleaengus. Make sure you don't get the species. E. x ebbengi is a good one that you can find at most garden centers.

I would stay away from Leylands too, only because of a virus that takes out all of them. In fact, I wouldn't plant a single variety of evergreens, but a mixture. Include Arborvitae (some reach 70' tall and 20' wide), Ligustrum Davidii, Carolina Cherry Laurels, and a variety of heights and sizes. American hollies are great too. The birds will thank you for the berries. Pyracantha should grow there. They can zoom up fast and if anyone tries to cross them, they'll need stitches everywhere.

You might want to talk to an agricultural agent as well at the local ag center. They can give you very good, free advice.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:42 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Trees: Thuja plicata

Green Giant

Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Floridata: Elaeagnus pungens
Thorny Elaeagnus - Shrubs
This is used quite a bit in Memphis as a hedge plant. I've seen them thriving in full sun and in partial shade. Grows fast, gets pretty sizable, is evergreen and is not poisonous to people, not sure about animals. Some species are considered invasive.
Very fragrant too, I've been known to cut branches to bring into the house.

200 S Perkins Rd, Memphis, Shelby, Tennessee 38117 - Google Maps
Not a very good picture, but you can get and idea how thick and tall the bushes get.
I do like that. And I like that it smells good. Always a plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu7 View Post
Well, leyland cypress is evergreen and grows very quickly (the drawback is that they have poor root systems and will often fall over in storms.) They respond well to pruning and will cause a minor skin irritation at the worst.
Leyland Cypress gaining popularity in South

Or Golden Bamboo if you can find it (non-toxic)
Golden Bamboo Plant Guide | Phyllostachys Aurea Plant Information | Garden Guides
golden bamboo plants - Google Product Search
Just make sure to create root barriers or it's rhizomes will spread *everywhere*

Or poplar
Hybrid Poplar
The Hybrid Poplar

Lists of Toxic and non-toxic plants:
Poisonous Plants
Manes & Tails Organization Horse Rescue - Plants Toxic to Horses
Toxic / Nontoxic Plants
Pasado's Safe Haven - Non-toxic Plants (http://www.pasadosafehaven.org/HOMEPAGE/02_14_09WEBSITE/nontoxic/nontoxic.htm - broken link)
Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Horses
Thanks for all the info!! The cypress doesn't do too well. We had an amazing gorgeous cypress that I was in love with out back but it came down in a storm. In the last 4 years we've lost all but two that we had on the property. That first that came down was so big I had them cut me a slab from the trunk. It's drying now and once totally dry it'll be the base of a dining table.

Will look into the others. The links for toxic / non-toxic are wonderful - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Be very careful with eleaengus. Make sure you don't get the species. E. x ebbengi is a good one that you can find at most garden centers.

I would stay away from Leylands too, only because of a virus that takes out all of them. In fact, I wouldn't plant a single variety of evergreens, but a mixture. Include Arborvitae (some reach 70' tall and 20' wide), Ligustrum Davidii, Carolina Cherry Laurels, and a variety of heights and sizes. American hollies are great too. The birds will thank you for the berries. Pyracantha should grow there. They can zoom up fast and if anyone tries to cross them, they'll need stitches everywhere.

You might want to talk to an agricultural agent as well at the local ag center. They can give you very good, free advice.
Wow!! Lots of stuff! Ok, can I alternate planting them? Like choose three or four I like and alternate their planting so I've got a variety back there? And why should I avoid the species species. E. x ebbengi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Those are gorgeous tree. Any clue what I'm looking at for smaller / younger trees, price range?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:27 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,152,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Wow!! Lots of stuff! Ok, can I alternate planting them? Like choose three or four I like and alternate their planting so I've got a variety back there? And why should I avoid the species species. E. x ebbengi?

Those are gorgeous tree. Any clue what I'm looking at for smaller / younger trees, price range?
Yep. Alternate, plant in groups, one of a kind, whatever you like. The reason being, if a disease does come along that attacks a certain variety, you don't lose all your trees at one time. It's happening with Leyland cypress here in the south. So mixing up your border, you could even throw in some deciduous, blooming trees and shrubs along the edge to make it more interesting.

Elaeangus x ebbengi is the one you will find today in most garden centers. It's not invasive like the others. It's called Silver Berry, commonly.

Elaeagnus angustifolia is one you REALLY want to stay away from. It's called Russian Olive and can reseed all over the place creating a huge mess for native plants.

At Lowe's, you'll likely pay $24 for a 4' tall Arborvitae. Just be sure you're getting the right one. Some grow to 15' tall, others to 70' tall. If they grow to 10' wide, plant them 7' apart if you intend to use them as a privacy hedge with no gaps. They really are a great tree.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:44 PM

174 posts, read 540,622 times
My pleasure! And if you want a thorny, fast growing small to medium sized (native) tree that bears (non-toxic) fruit sometimes eaten by livestock, try some of these:

Osage Orange Profiles

Osage Orange

Old 03-07-2010, 11:37 PM

666 posts, read 2,536,548 times
You may want to try Red Cedars, they grow like weeds here, and it seems like you have the same climate and terrain as I do, clay soil with limestone a couple feet below the surface. These trees hold up pretty well against ice storms and snow. They also get pretty big. Mine are probably 25-30 ft. tall and 15 ft. wide. The summer after I tore up part of my backyard to put in a pond, 4 Red Cedars started growing by themselves in the loose dirt and are now about 4 feet tall. I even found one growing against the side of my house.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,747,912 times
Yes, Eastern Red Cedar came to my mind also, as they are native and do quite well all on their own. Not sure what area you are in, though.

A cheap place to order small Green Giant trees: Thuja Green Giant, Evergreen Trees, Princeton Elm, Jefferson Elm, Valley Forge Elm, Red Maples Autumn Blaze and Brandwine I have never ordered from them, but they get glowing reports on the Garden Watchdog: The scoop on 'Botany Shop Garden Center' You can plant the GG trees pretty small because they grow so quickly, I've read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden