Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
The nature of things means that the world is a big giant pot of chemical soup.
Don't be obtuse. You know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Reading is fundamental. My post was about hornworms, not rabbits.
Reading is fundamental. Read my post about the larvae being hatched on the foliage. They don't crawl up there. And marigolds do not keep the parent moths from laying their eggs in your tomatoes.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
I can see how that bit of sulfur can benefit a new seedling by preventing the growth of mold and fungi that would attack the youthful plant. I use sulfur, wood ash, corn gluten, garlic, soap & red pepper blend, nematodes and other benefical insects in my backyard for four years now. I rarely if ever buy commmercial products. The front yard get the same but have more weeds due it exposure to wind and unkept neighboring yards and land. I hadn't put down the corn gluten this past two Fall or Spring seasons just so I can see the difference. I don't mind this because the weeds I pull up and feed to my chickens...free food source for them.

TM you have to understand everything will not be from a scientific standpoint because science has not advanced enough to understand. For example, 30 years ago in the medical field they told us the nervous system was incapable of regenerating itself. Didn't make sense to me that ONE system was unable to heal itself but ALL others could. Science has recently discovered it can and a surge of neuroregenerative science had increased across the globe. Also science says that insects are unable to fly but we all know they do. Light (laser) can heal the body by just surface exposure or used in the eye to treat a neurological problems. This wasn't discovered by science until recently. Nature is more advanced than Science; it is in it's infancy.

If you plant a matchstick at the bottom of a pot, under the soil, it isn't going to anything. It won't acidify the soil and it can't possibly inhibit mold or mildew. In fact, a seedling's roots will be nowhere near the matchstick, and whatever is in the match won't migrate upwards so much as it will sideways and down.

And since when did science say insects cannot fly?

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Boy, at first this thread was fun and interesting, but it seems it is deteranting into a hen fight:

Now, for me, I have used the egg shells and coffee grounds for years as well as other garbage like potato peelings etc. Does it help? Heck I don't know, but my garden does pretty well. As for the marigolds, I have always heard they will deter the worms as well. I also found out last year the putting small cups of beer right next to the new tomato plants will keep some forms of worms away. I learned this, after lossing about a dozen tomato plants in a few days. They were fresh, just planted and by mornig they were only little green sticks with nothing else. We tried the beer, we found lots of dead worms and our new plants thrived. Well they did til our horrible, hot summer hit.

As for chemicals, I don't like to use them, no one does, but if it means no produce without the use, I will go the chemical route.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:10 PM

I'm out now. I've said what I need to say, and if you all want to believe that dancing in the moonlight will keep vampires away from your veggie gardens, have at it. When it gets to the point where even SCIENCE is being doubted because we may know more in the future, then I know I am wasting my time.

There is scientific research behind everything I post. These are controlled and closely monitored university studies that are ultimately paid for by private donations and tax dollars. And the information is free to anyone who wants it. That's what Extension is all about. You want to dispute the findings of researchers at Ohio State, Illinois State, Iowa State, Penn State, Clemson, Kansas State, U of Minnesota, U of Missouri, UC Davis and others, go right ahead. I am an Extension Master Gardener, not a witch doctor.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I also found out last year the putting small cups of beer right next to the new tomato plants will keep some forms of worms away. I learned this, after lossing about a dozen tomato plants in a few days. They were fresh, just planted and by mornig they were only little green sticks with nothing else. We tried the beer, we found lots of dead worms and our new plants thrived.
Good tip! Beer attracts slugs (which are notorious little defoliators!); they crawl greedily into the cup and drown.

That's how I rid myself of beer I don't like. That, and dumping a bottle of beer into a vat of chili.

Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times

Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Chickens ... now those would keep the hornworms away, if we could train them to roost atop the tomato plants ... and not eat the tomatoes while they're at it ...

Old 03-18-2013, 08:52 PM

67 posts, read 242,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good tip! Beer attracts slugs (which are notorious little defoliators!); they crawl greedily into the cup and drown.

That's how I rid myself of beer I don't like. That, and dumping a bottle of beer into a vat of chili.
That's because beer is good for you!

Fun fact: we actually did a randomized and replicated study about ten years ago at Ohio State to see if some beer was better than others for the slugs. Of the ten or twelve that were tested, the winner was Michelob (really). There was a significant difference between regular vs light beers, too. Slugs like the high octance material. Of course, this was NE Ohio, your mileage may vary.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:58 PM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmer437 View Post
Last year I had beautiful Bell Pepper plants, but no peppers. Was talking to a lady at work about gardening and how I had that issue. She said you should of put some matches under each plant. I said what!? She recieved this tip from an "old timer". She tested it out one year by putting some matches from a box under some plants and no matches under others. The ones with the matches had a clear advantage! Apparently the sulfur from the matches works wonders for the plants! I guess all you have to do is put one or two matches under each plant when you transplant to the garden. Or if you plant the seed in the garden for those of you who have longer growing seasons.

Do anyone else have any weird tips for your gardens?

That is weird so I will try it. Tomatoes were lousy in Atlanta last year. Anything to help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden