Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,599,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I never said a thing about going to a megamart. You're engaging in the most immature form of debate and attributing me with things I never said. Get some elemental sulphur. Get it at a local nursery. Make sure it's a form of sulphur the plants can take up, or didn't you know that minerals need to be in specific form for plants to use them?

Besides, I doubt very much your tomatoes even need extra sulphur. Do a soil test. It's silly to do anything to your soil until you know what you're starting with.
It's not about supplementation but prevention of fungal growth. Does a soil test for fungus and mold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Just because you have taken to calling previous generations of scientist work "pseudoscience" does not mean that they were not scientist. Do you concider Issac Newton a Pseudo-scientist?
At some point way back when a person (possibly a scientist) was studying the Bumble Bee and could not understand why it could fly (with the knowledge they had at the time) and so put the question out to the scientific community to find out the answer (this would explain your so called myth that has been around for so long) once science advanced and they knew the answer, the mystery was solved.

My reading comprehension is just fine, as is my understanding of history and common sense and how myth's and old wives tales come into being.
Maybe you should join us in the real world and learn some common sense, it will do you good

bill
Bill, in 10 or 15 years from now their scientific theories they are dearly devoted to today will be also labeled "pseudoscience" they just don't know it yet. They will see.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
It's not about supplementation but prevention of fungal growth. Does a soil test for fungus and mold?
No, and here is why. Fungus and mold spores are everywhere, all the time. They're airborne and soil borne. All soil contains fungal spores and mold and believe it or not, most of them are good guys. Decomposing leaves create leaf mold, a good thing for the soil. Soil fungi are an important part of that underground ecosystem. And even the evil pathogenic fungal spores are everywhere. There is no getting rid of them. But you can prevent them from reproducing into fullblown disease by creating an unfriendly environment for them. Moisture and darkness plus the right amount of time gets them breeding. So it isn't what you put into the soil that prevents fungal diseases (unless you find some sort of systemic drench that makes the plant foliage unfriendly for disease development) -- it is what you do above ground that counts.

Those pathogenic spores will splash up onto your tomato foliage no matter what you do. To prevent them from turning into a disease, you need to minimize the splash factor if possible, provide good air circulation to keep the foliage dryand use whatever spray you want, organic or otherwise, to give the foliage a coating that is "birth control" for the fungus.

A soil test will tell you about fertility and pH. If your pH is neutral or acidic, you shouldn't be adding sulphur.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:41 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Here's a VERY old timer trick that most of us have probably heard:

When the early colonists came here the Native Americans taught them how to plant corn. They told them to put a dead fish in the hole when they planted the kernels. It really worked because fish are high in nitrogen and would decompose as the corn grew. Corn is a very heavy feeder. There are other forms of nitrogen, of course, but you use whatever you have!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:15 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I love all types of old-time tips - gardening, cooking, cleaning, etc. Old folks were much more resourceful and didn't run to the store for the latest chemical to solve their problem. What could have been a really nice thread has been hijacked by a few know-it-alls that must prove their knowledge is superior to those who rely on natural and old-time methods.

For those who want to grow using the scientific method, fine. For those who want to try other methods, go for it. I believe that a true gardener knows that successful gardening is achieved by lots of trial and error and is an ongoing learning process.
I was also looking forward to a fun thread with interesting tips for gardening. Most of us have books on gardening and know how to get information from the internet; I don't think the OP intended this to be any sort of scientific-proven gardening thread. It was suppose to be light hearted and fun...some ideas will make some master gardeners cringe, some laugh, yet some have uncontrollable urge to correct all of us for the horrid mistakes we're making. Get over it. We're having fun with gardening.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Good tip! Beer attracts slugs (which are notorious little defoliators!); they crawl greedily into the cup and drown.

That's how I rid myself of beer I don't like. That, and dumping a bottle of beer into a vat of chili.
Slug trap: Clean out a 2 ltr. soda bottle, cut the top off and invert it so the top is facing inside the bottle and staple it onto the bottle. Before you staple it, put slug bait in the bottle; you don't want residue on the opening. Put this in your garden. The slugs can get in, but can't crawl out. This way you don't have to waste that last can of beer.

Found this link with a good picture: http://blog.oregonlive.com/kympokorn...ns_part_5.html

Old 03-20-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Here's a VERY old timer trick that most of us have probably heard:

When the early colonists came here the Native Americans taught them how to plant corn. They told them to put a dead fish in the hole when they planted the kernels. It really worked because fish are high in nitrogen and would decompose as the corn grew. Corn is a very heavy feeder. There are other forms of nitrogen, of course, but you use whatever you have!
My grandmother put fish in all of her flower beds and she had the best flowers in town. I could never do this where I live; I have too many raccoons!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:40 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
You have no way of knowing if trhe sulphur in a match head is (a) enough, or (b) a form of sulphur that is beneficial to plants. Buy some elemental sulphur to be sure. Save the matches for lighting the grill.
If it works, I don't give a crap why it works. There's really no need to overthink these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
My grandmother put fish in all of her flower beds and she had the best flowers in town. I could never do this where I live; I have too many raccoons!
Well, then you'd have to sprinkle used cat litter around your garden to keep the critters away. One thing just leads to another ...

Old 03-20-2013, 06:47 AM

Quote:
No, and here is why. Fungus and mold spores are everywhere, all the time. They're airborne and soil borne. All soil contains fungal spores and mold and believe it or not, most of them are good guys. Decomposing leaves create leaf mold, a good thing for the soil. Soil fungi are an important part of that underground ecosystem. And even the evil pathogenic fungal spores are everywhere. There is no getting rid of them. But you can prevent them from reproducing into fullblown disease by creating an unfriendly environment for them. Moisture and darkness plus the right amount of time gets them breeding. So it isn't what you put into the soil that prevents fungal diseases (unless you find some sort of systemic drench that makes the plant foliage unfriendly for disease development) -- it is what you do above ground that counts.

Those pathogenic spores will splash up onto your tomato foliage no matter what you do. To prevent them from turning into a disease, you need to minimize the splash factor if possible, provide good air circulation to keep the foliage dryand use whatever spray you want, organic or otherwise, to give the foliage a coating that is "birth control" for the fungus.

A soil test will tell you about fertility and pH. If your pH is neutral or acidic, you shouldn't be adding sulphur.
So once you plant a seed in the ground it is now exposed to this dark, moist, heated environment which is conducive to mold and fungal growth. Would not a wee bit of sulfur/matches/crushed garlic added into the hole prevent this growth and give that seedling a good head start?

Now this is how you talk to people...you explain things; not call them stupid, dumb and ridiculous for what they know or don't know. But you must stop the THINK about what they are saying also; it not a one sided conversation. Sulfur, no matter what the source, be it matches, crushed garlic or straight sulfur, prevent growth of mold and fungi ( I'm thinking...I''m thinking ) so therefore if I add it to the soil underneath my seedling, I give it a fighting chance against these microbes

In my field, I must talk to people in layman's term; not scientific, medical, jargon they don't understand. And if at my job I called people backward for their beliefs and understanding, I would be called to the carpet on that.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
If it works, I don't give a crap why it works. There's really no need to overthink these things.

Well, then you'd have to sprinkle used cat litter around your garden to keep the critters away. One thing just leads to another ...
Now, I have to get a house cat. No wait, I'll put cotton balls soaked in coyote urine around the garden and hope the raccoons know the odor is supposed to mean danger. Now, that's not going to make the plants grow, but will stop critters from chewing or digging up the plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden