Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 09:01 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times

Advertisements

I've wondered this for a long time now, and can find almost nothing about it online. I always envisioned large fields of crop being grown for seed harvesting, bet since that would take many acres of land and many paid personnel to harvest the seed, it doesn't make that much sence given the quantity of seeds available coupled with the relatively lwo price of a packet of seeds.

So.... where DO seed companies get their seed? Anyone have a clue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 09:41 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
Some farmers still have 'on farm' seed production, which means some of their crop is harvested for seed rather than a food/plant/grass and is used for the following year's planting. In developed nations they usually buy from sources that farm exclusively to produce seed or belong to cooperatives that exchange seeds. In developing nations many farmers still save their own but there is increasing reliance on seeds from commercial sources.

Some examples: On-Farm Seed Production

Flower seed, grass seed, native seed and fresh produce production farming

There are also seed cooperatives and seed guides that have some information:
Organic Seed Alliance - Publications
Seed Production Guides | Carolina Farm Stewardship Association

Old 03-18-2013, 11:22 AM

67 posts, read 242,560 times
Some companies do it in-house. Some use contract growers (most ag seeds), and some buy bulk from contract growers and co-ops.

Here's an example of a company doing a little of all of those: Welcome | Ernst Conservation Seeds

Old 03-18-2013, 03:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I've read long ago that growers in Costa Rica provide some flower seeds. Sorry that I can't remember any more details.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
When I got some seeds from Outside Pride, I think the packet said they were imported from someplace in Europe. Germany? None of the seeds I've gotten from them have ever grown...but they were woodland plants, so maybe I was too optimistic. I did sow them out in the woods instead of flats.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:04 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Interesting read...

The gardening game: Do you know where your seeds come from? You may be surprised... by Jerri Cook from the March/April, 2006 issue of Countryside & Small Stock Journal

Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 PM

11,083 posts, read 17,527,537 times
In one of my wacky moods tonight and I'm surprised somebody else hasn't thought of what I was going to say. Where do seed companies get their seeds? They order from the other companies! LOL

Seriously, about 20-25 years ago there was an older couple who lived a few miles out of town. Most of the huge yard he never had to mow because it was covered with flower beds. Once a year they would have what he called an "open yard" as opposed to an open house. You come out and walk around looking at all the flowers and plants. If you saw one you liked he would cut off a seed head for you, if the flower was one you could do that with. Everything was free but they asked for a donation per seed head that went to a local community charity.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Seeds come from seed growers. Those are farms that grow many acres of one variety and grow them for seed. Normally, they are under contract to one of the big seed companies.

Small seed companies tend to buy in bulk from the large seed companies and repackage. Unless they can sell enough of a specialized seed to have a contract with a seed grower

There are several carrot seed farms in my area. There are alfalfa seed farms nearby in Christmas Valley.

Over in the Willamette Valley, grass seed farmers grow something like 90% of the grass seed sold all over the world.

My father worked for Northrup king and that company buys all their seed form seed farmers who are under contract to them to produce seed. Their little seed packets are very small potatoes. They provide seed in bulk to farmers who are planting entire fields, not just a little veggie garden.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:59 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
Small kid time, my first "real" job was to work in a cornfield where we pulled the tassels off of corn plants. There were two specially marked rows that had the tassels left on them, then four rows we pulled the tassels off and then two more special rows. Row after row after row. Working for less than $2 an hour since it was way back when and agricultural work and we were some sort of special age group, too. I think it was sort of a semi-babysitting sort of thing, too. They'd pick us up on a bus and take us back about eight hours later. That was Pioneer corn, I think it was and the corn was being grown for hybrid corn seed. My cousins worked in the milo fields, although I'm not exactly sure what they did, I dunno if it was for seed or not.

I grow some seed and sell it, but it is a very limited market. The latest ones are OP watermelon seeds made up in packets and sold at one of our small local markets. Since the seeds were grown in this area, the seeds should do well in this area. Each new season, the seeds have been pre-selected yet again for this specific area. We should all be growing OP varieties in our own areas and saving the seeds.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Thanks for the link!
Informative, sad, scary, disheartening...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden