U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 01:48 PM

5,185 posts, read 4,994,028 times

Advertisements

That's a nice sized squash!

Looking forward to your posts in the Recipe section(s).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 09:36 AM

75,864 posts, read 59,984,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
That's a nice sized squash!

Looking forward to your posts in the Recipe section(s).
Thanks. lol. I don't cook, I grow.

Here's some pics from this morning.

* NOTE: If the pics don't show up, my free photobucket account resets the bandwidth used every 4th of the month. So wait until the 5th.

My favorite pepper plant as far as looks. Dorset Nora. When I pulled the pot up to get a solo shot I was surprised at the thickness and root structure. Wow

Old 09-01-2013, 11:47 AM

6,191 posts, read 16,636,788 times
Wow, what a great yield you've had this summer!
How hot are those Dorset Noras? They look a little like Scotch Bonnet peppers, which I have grown in the past.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Wow, what a great yield you've had this summer!
How hot are those Dorset Noras? They look a little like Scotch Bonnet peppers, which I have grown in the past.
Very similar looking. They are HOT! Especially when leaving them on the plant longer.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:18 AM

Family BBQ yesterday I took home Lobster scraps for my compost. :-) What an excellent source of nutrient!

Did u know theres a whole business for just Lobster Compost?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 PM

May 2013 Weather Summary
June 2013 Weather Summary
July 2013 Weather Summary

August 2013 Weather Update:

Rain Total: 3.02" (Average)
Highest Temp: 87.7°F (8/21)
Lowest Temp: 52.4°F (8/15)
Mean Temp: 70.7°(Below Normal)

Max Temps:
0 Days in the 60s
16 days in the 70s
15 days in the 80s
0 days in the 90s

Lows:
13 nights in the 50s
15 night in the 60s
3 nights in the 70s

Had some warm nights but many nights in the 50s which is cooler than normal for August. Also Notice the 0 90's and half the month in the 70s. Cool month overall and only got 1/2" in one shot twice. meaning there were a lot of drizzles and light rain but no real rains in the month.

Tomato plants: outgrew the stakes and started late blight disease at the very end of the month. Yeilds were somewhat below average I felt (maybe due to cool dry month).
Cucumbers: were done mid August.
String Beans: yielding plenty and healthy.
Eggplants: healthy with good yeilds
Bell Peppers: healthy with ok yields.
Kale: continues to grow and be healthy since beginning of season
Hot Peppers in pots: had beast season yet
Onions: small but good
Corn: small
Squash and Butternut: taking over entire yard

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 AM

983 posts, read 2,313,785 times
This is amazing, love looking at these pics. great job.

Old 09-12-2013, 06:45 AM

September 12th, Still going.. Thanks to normal and above normal temps past week or so. NO RAINS! I haven't gotten 1/2" of rain in 1 shot in over 30 days now

The trellis I built is holding up a Zuchinni.

Lots of string beans!

Old 09-14-2013, 07:09 AM

8,004 posts, read 10,760,074 times
Awesome Cam....loving every pic. You're amazing!

The edible pod peas have about 2 more pickings on them. The bush beans are about done. The crookneck and zuchini squash are still bearing, the leeks are doing growing slooooowly. The "mamoth" radishes turned out to be mediocre at best and most of my lettuces craaaawled. This was new soil that, it turns out, was a little too acidic for many of the plants. Because I got it so late in the season, I knew I'd just have to punt and wait until late this fall, to get some lime in it, if need be. Yeah.....need be'ed. LOL

It's okay though, because the water holding quality was fantastic, something that could only be remedied by adding some "good" clay-ish soil, to this fine beach sand we've got around here. I've got a truckload of composted horse manure/shavings to mix in with about 1/3 of a truckload of that leftover topsoil. That will go on the beds this fall, along with some lime, to sweeten the soil for next year.

My grandson's sunflowers did fantastic. Clearly, I've found the perfect spot to grow them in. LOL Some of them are 10 ft tall and have heads which measure about 16" across. Imagine the magical memory he's going to have. LOL He's only 4 years old, helped plant the seeds in containers in the greenhouse and has been watching them all summer. I made his mom take pictures of him in front of them.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:46 PM

8,316 posts, read 12,027,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
September 12th, Still going.. Thanks to normal and above normal temps past week or so. NO RAINS! I haven't gotten 1/2" of rain in 1 shot in over 30 days now
The trellis I built is holding up a Zuchinni.
Lots of string beans!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
The edible pod peas have about 2 more pickings on them. The bush beans are about done. The crookneck and zuchini squash are still bearing, the leeks are doing growing slooooowly. The "mamoth" radishes turned out to be mediocre at best and most of my lettuces craaaawled. This was new soil that, it turns out, was a little too acidic for many of the plants. Because I got it so late in the season, I knew I'd just have to punt and wait until late this fall, to get some lime in it, if need be. Yeah.....need be'ed. LOL
I LOVE both of your posts! Glad your crops are bountiful! Great photos, too, Cam!
I can tell you both enjoy your gardens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden