Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 04:50 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,349,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Pour boiling water onto them. I saw that last year an tried it. Wees died. Sorry, I don't know those weeds.
You cannot pour boiling water on them if they're in the lawn or near plants you don't want to kill. Boiling water works great on sidewalks and patios, but that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2013, 12:02 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
Default back in the day when chemicals........

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Roundup makes at least 2 different types of herbicide. If the regular Roundup doesn't kill the weed get the Roundup made for Blackberries. It's stronger and contains additional chemicals. That's the only thing that will kill knapweed.

Be super careful that you don't get any on plants you want to keep. Don't spray when there is any wind at all.
Even the counties don't use Roundup on plants with a rhizome anymore i.e. blackberries.
I wasn't kidding about the Cat with the wide angle blade. I had to send the Cat into two acres and after, walked through pulling the rhizomes up and out by hand.

Roundup is systemic and undoubtedly better designed than when I last used chemicals (1980) but anything with a taproot is just going to bounce back. If you have less than two acres pull the plants by hand.

I thought we were getting away from the whole chemical thang nowadays?

Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Even the counties don't use Roundup on plants with a rhizome anymore i.e. blackberries.
I wasn't kidding about the Cat with the wide angle blade. I had to send the Cat into two acres and after, walked through pulling the rhizomes up and out by hand.

Roundup is systemic and undoubtedly better designed than when I last used chemicals (1980) but anything with a taproot is just going to bounce back. If you have less than two acres pull the plants by hand.

I thought we were getting away from the whole chemical thang nowadays?
It took several years, but I did get rid of blackberries with Round Up.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,112 times
I used Roundup once and it knocked back the brambles, but the next growing season they came back stronger than ever.
It was the same cost to send in the Cat, since it was there for other work anyway.
I then roto-tilled the ground and put it into a garden, so I wanted to avoid any residual chems. of any kind. The ground had originally been lightly wooded with pasture, so I was fairly sure it had not seen any chemicals at all. I considered 1980 to be a real mistake on my part.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 AM

There are other products for getting rid of persistent thugs like brambles. I have been battling trumpet creeper here. Our subdivision has a small median in the street in front of our house, with three crabapple trees in it -- and a carpet of trumpet creeper if it isn't controlled. For two years, I hit it with Roundup and got temporary results. I have now resorted to a bonafide brush-p[oison ivy killewr, with trumpet creeper listed on the label, and I think this year might be the year I eradicate the stuff for good.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
This is inaccurate. Some weeds such as nutsedge do not respond to Roundup due to their genetics. On many of these such as nutsedge where roundup doesn't work, MSMA knocks them down. It will take multiple applications as the plant reemerges to kill the bulbs but eventually it will kill it.

I'm not sure what particular weed is in the picture but it is possible that it is not susceptible to roundup.
You're right. Nutsedge is an exception. Brush-type plants are also exceptions, as is poison ivy. For the type of weed shown in the photo, Roundup will work if used properly.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:36 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,779,594 times
A page back I ID's the weed. It is NOT your average weed! It is not a 'common weed' like crabgrass or dandelions that responds to normal weed removal practices, chemical or organic.

OP if you are still around the weed you have is Florida Betony commonly called Rattlesnake Plant. It's spreading out from its native habitat in Florida to states north and west of FL in the south. It cannot be removed with one application of Roundup, hot water, vinegar or whatever else has been suggested. It has tubers that are dense and, while usually under a foot long, can run as deep as 3 or 4 feet underground- and that makes it hard to eradicate once you have it. The younger the plants are, the easier to control it. It will come back from those tubers even if the leaves seem to be gone. Right now they are stopping their winter time growth and will start going dormant. This means you may think you've killed them and then they will pop back up next fall in cooler weather with even deeper tubers. My recommendation is to hand pull and dig out as much of the weed as you can while you can see it now. Look for all the white to white gray tubers (they look a little like rattlesnake rattles) and yank them out without breaking them if you can. Next fall keep an eye out for the same leaves popping up and weed again or use the weed killers listed and explained in the following 2 sources:

ENH1127/EP388: Florida Betony Biology and Management in Turf

Weed Wizard: Controlling Florida Betony in the Landscape | CAES Publications | UGA

Old 03-31-2013, 08:51 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
While I'm not a big fan of chemical sprays, in my pre-goat days, I would spray blackberries and Canadian Thistle with a mix of Weedmaster and Crossbow (although I suspect that either one by itself would have worked fine).

Also, I'm not familiar with the OP's weed, but I know with some things, the timing of spraying is important. For instance, it is recommended that you spray blackberries in the fall, when the sap is running down to the roots.

And, for Canadian Thistle, which is a biannual and lays dormant under ground, it is important to spray for several years; you kill the stuff above ground but the dormant plants surface the following year. I just mention that in case the OP's weed falls into that category.

I've always understood that Roundup is good for grasses but not so much for broadleaf plants.

Last edited by Cinebar; 03-31-2013 at 09:12 AM..

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM

Roundup is very effective for broadleaf weeds. It is also very effective at killing an entire River Birch tree if you happen to mislabel your sprayers. And no, that wasn't me, but I was very surprised the tree died, even after being rinsed off as soon as the neighbor realized he hadn't grabbed the insecticide.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,250,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Roundup is very effective for broadleaf weeds. It is also very effective at killing an entire River Birch tree if you happen to mislabel your sprayers. And no, that wasn't me, but I was very surprised the tree died, even after being rinsed off as soon as the neighbor realized he hadn't grabbed the insecticide.
Well, I know my neighbor has been using it on Japanese knotweed for the entire 7 1/2 years that I've lived here - and it hasn't done a bit of good. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden