Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 07:47 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times

Advertisements

I have been trying to resolve unsuccessfully a problem I have with my Rain Bird ESP-6 sprinkler system and need advice and help.

Basically it is running too long. I have it set to start at 4:30 am and it waters 5 zones for 35 minutes each. Although it is a 6 zone unit my sprinkler system has but 5 zones. Today at 9:30 am it was still watering the last zone #5. I figured that it should be finished by 7:15 am the latest. Also Zone 6 is set to zero minutes.
What am I not figuring in? what am I doing wrong?

Sid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 12:11 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I have been trying to resolve unsuccessfully a problem I have with my Rain Bird ESP-6 sprinkler system and need advice and help.

Basically it is running too long. I have it set to start at 4:30 am and it waters 5 zones for 35 minutes each. Although it is a 6 zone unit my sprinkler system has but 5 zones. Today at 9:30 am it was still watering the last zone #5. I figured that it should be finished by 7:15 am the latest. Also Zone 6 is set to zero minutes.
What am I not figuring in? what am I doing wrong?

Sid
Geez I hate that controller. Usually one of two things- an overlapping program that needs to be deleted or a stuck valve.

Hard to help with the programming without actually seeing everything on the clock. You'll have monkey around with that one.

For the possible stuck valve the diaphram or solenoid might be sticking.

Start with the clock first delete everything off programs A and B then start over. It would also disconnect the power and battery to erase the ram memory.

Also try turning the valve in question on and off manually with the clock. That will probably tell you if the valve is sticking. Obviously if the valve doesnt turn off with this procedure its a stuck valve.

If its the valve take the top off, CAREFULLY so no springs pop out and flush all the inner parts. Bulid up, sand and tiny rocks can get in there and cause the valve not to close.

Ugh do you really want me to get into the solenoid checking procedure? try the other things first and get back to me.

If you can post a picture of the valve that would help also.

Old 04-03-2013, 12:32 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,951 times
I may have discovered the issue. Under programs 1,2,3. I had fooled around and set program 1 and program 2. One to start at 4am and the next at 4:30. I am guessing that the system would be running all 5 zones starting at 4 am and then when that finished it would start the second program immediately afterward. I now just have one program set and will see tomorrow Am what happens.

Thank you so much for replying. I know it is a simple system but I bought the house and had no prior knowledge of sprinklers. If it does not work can I write again?
Sid

Old 04-03-2013, 03:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Yup. Like I said best to clear everything and start over. Goodluck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden