U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:04 PM

36,502 posts, read 50,888,621 times

Advertisements

I want a natural look in my gardens and nothing is naturally black. Wood chips turn a beautiful color. Black anything close to the stems of your plants might attract too much heat and do more harm than good. I'd try to convince my wife to love natural mulch. All that dying sounds like a whole lot of trouble for little return.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 2,517 times
I'm an intern for a product called Hippie Mulch Color that sounds like something you could use. It's a top coat you can spray on existing mulch and it comes in a variety of colors (including black). It's a water-based, non-toxic formula that's safe for people, pets, and the environment and it's actually pretty innexpensive. It lasts 1 year or longer, so it's not a permanent solution but you won't have to completely replace your mulch to get the color you want.

Hope this helps!

Contact this poster via DM to get more info...

Last edited by Rance; 07-02-2013 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: 1st post and advertising is not cool!

Old 04-01-2014, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONBY View Post
I bought a chipper shredder and want to make mulch for our yard, but my wife likes black mulch, so any idea how can I dye wood chip for black mulch?

Thanks your guys,

Don
I was in same boat recently. Got a boat load (Truck load really) of wood chips. I like natural tone of wood chips but wife liked some other color (black/brown). I wanted chips for compost+mulch purpose. All you need is the top layer of chips to look colored. Here is what I did to make it black. Starbucks ! Go to starbucks and ask for their coffee grounds. You would be surprised how much they give you. It's nitrogen too and helps decompose the chips. Works well for me. As I turn my chips, I add more grounds to keep the color. chips need lot of nitrogen to decompose. HTH.

Old 04-01-2014, 03:40 PM

508 posts, read 627,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DONBY View Post
I bought a chipper shredder and want to make mulch for our yard, but my wife likes black mulch, so any idea how can I dye wood chip for black mulch?

Thanks your guys,

Don
You do realize that black mulch will superheat the soil - most likely killing anything you are trying to plant....

Old 07-31-2015, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Default mulch dyeing

How long do you let the dye sit for.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
39,363 posts, read 70,636,382 times
I have a chipper/shredder too, and use it frequently. Unless you bought a big commercial quality unit, the chips are too small to be used as mulch as is. When mixed with green (shredded leaves) they will break down in time and become a great soil amendment, but the fine (thin, 1/4") chips will interlock and prevent water from penetrating, absorb much of it, and when decaying rob nutrients from the soil. Use it in areas with no plants, or in planted areas, leave 6" around each plant without any chips. The chips from a tree service are much bigger and work much like bark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden