Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you buy this New Raven 46-in Hybrid Riding Lawn Mower?
Yes, It would be cool to own. 3 37.50%
No, Waste of money. 5 62.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:56 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Would you buy this riding lawn mower that has a built-in generator and looks like a ATV and has mower deck on it? It only costs 3000.00 dollars.

Shop Raven 46-in Hybrid Riding Lawn Mower at Lowes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:09 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Lots of Plastic and BATTERIES and Gas (Ick), sorry would NOT work on my rural farms.

now IF it were a METAL BODY Diesel HYBRID (no dinosaurs or OPEC required) and FAR more economical and emision friendly + MANY times the service life of Gas (ick).

But, hey... we are the USA, we will insist the Diesel Garden equipment go EVERYWHERE else in the world. WE Have CARB!!!, who cares about GREEN (certainly not CARB)

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,723,520 times
I think it's cute.

I've used a number of kinds of riding mowers/garden tractors, I'm with the Rabbit, I'd much rather have something made of metal than plastic. You buy a piece of equipment like that and you're thinking long term. Plastic just doesn't hold up over time and it can't be repaired.

Having said that I do like this thingy, it has the capacity to tow 500 lbs, so that's good. But the blade is only 23 inches? That's hardly better than a standard walk behind mower. And $3,000 ain't no kind of bargain. (are you rich?)

You have made no mention of your intended use, the kind of property you intend to run it on, or the area that needs to be mowed. This buggy looks like it is intended for steeper terrain that would defeat a lot of riding mowers.

Personally if I were going to sink that kind of money into a piece of driveable lawn equipment, I'd get a little garden tractor for which you could buy a variety of attachments to do a lot more tasks than just mow. You could probably get a nice little Kubota used, with a couple of good attachments like a box blade and a trailer for near the same price.

But it's your toy.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
If we had a half acre or so, you bet I'd buy it! A hybrid -- go figure! That's a pretty wide deck for something in that price range, too.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:03 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I think it's cute.

I've used a number of kinds of riding mowers/garden tractors, I'm with the Rabbit, I'd much rather have something made of metal than plastic. You buy a piece of equipment like that and you're thinking long term. Plastic just doesn't hold up over time and it can't be repaired.

Having said that I do like this thingy, it has the capacity to tow 500 lbs, so that's good. But the blade is only 23 inches? That's hardly better than a standard walk behind mower. And $3,000 ain't no kind of bargain. (are you rich?)

You have made no mention of your intended use, the kind of property you intend to run it on, or the area that needs to be mowed. This buggy looks like it is intended for steeper terrain that would defeat a lot of riding mowers.

Personally if I were going to sink that kind of money into a piece of driveable lawn equipment, I'd get a little garden tractor for which you could buy a variety of attachments to do a lot more tasks than just mow. You could probably get a nice little Kubota used, with a couple of good attachments like a box blade and a trailer for near the same price.

But it's your toy.
I was kidding about the price being cheap.
I would buy this.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,338 times
Just got it sweet I got about 4 acres ,I mow 2 acres best thing we got no more belts like my swisher 60 inch cut Zerro turn now that's junk. I put on more belts after the pro's they could not do any better. Having a power source that's even better it even run on battery power with out gas engine running. Not long about 1 hour in a couple of weeks I'll let you know how she is holding up but one thing for sure I will no longer be putting on drive belts or blades belts.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:43 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Nothing beats my 11ft cut rotory Toro Groundmaster 4000D.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM

414 posts, read 972,729 times
Default Had one, not a good buy.

I bought one of these three years ago when they were over $4000. It seemed a good idea but the execution left much to be desired. Even now, three years later with the prices down around $2400 they still leave much to be desired. First, there are two battery systems, the single 12 volt that does nothing but start the engine. Then there are four 12 volt batteries hooked in series that do the work. If the starter battery is dead, you can have all the charge you want in the other battery pack but there is no "boost" or interconnect so the mower can only run on the 48 volt battery system until they go dead. They need an interconnect. Second, as it is, you need TWO different battery charges to keep the batteries up in the winter, a cigarette lighter 12 volt type for the starter battery and a much more expensive 48 volt charger for the main batteries. Totally stupid. Third, it took me two years to get the grass catcher and it does not work all that well. Fourth, there is no snow plow, snow blower or bucket you can stick on the front of these things. A lot of potential is lost as you could have powered equipment using the 48 volt system to run a blower or raise and lower a plow or even turn a snow brush. But there is nothing. Sure, you can use it as a portable generator to run tools but all the tools are standard hand tools you can run off 110 power. Again, they do not take advantage of their 48 volt system, you can not even run a tool off the battery for a minute, the engine has to be running and you run off the generator. Fourth, do not ever think you can use it as an ATV. To switch from high gear for speed to low gear to get up a hill you have to stop, get off, get down on your hands and knees and switch a lever under the rear. I totally regret buying this thing and wished I had gone with something like a John Deere for the same money. A great idea but poorly executed.

Old 06-21-2017, 10:31 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
No, I'd spend a couple grand more and get a good brand of zero turn.

My Husqvarna riding mower handles an acre and a half just fine, but for any more lawn than that, I'd want a better, faster, mower.

By the way, I voted "no" but not because I think it is a waste of money. It just doesn't suit me and I'd rather spend my money on something else.

Old 06-21-2017, 01:37 PM

600 posts, read 566,480 times
Wait for the Hydrogen powered lawn mower. No more fumes. No need to recharge. Only exhaust is water. So it waters your lawn too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden