Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 05:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,757,752 times

Advertisements

My niece recently posted a picture of this on FB. It showed several rows of rain gutters mounted on the side of a garage with everything from carrots to lettuce growing in them. I believe this is a type of "urban gardening" (self sufficient living in a tiny space basically). Anyone have experience with this type of gardening? It seemed simple and easy to do. Only concern I could see is the weight of the dirt and plants might be too much for gutters and they would fall / tear down (?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:13 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,357,725 times
I saw that on a Facebook page called "Grow Food Not Lawns". They have some really interesting and innovative ideas.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:25 AM

Thank you...I will go look up the page. My niece only posted a photo.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:53 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
There have been tons of them popping up, especially in the reuse and recycle gardening websites. There are videos and how to pages as well. It is a neat idea if you have both the ability to hang the gutters properly and garden in small areas. There are plenty of free hanging ones as well. I think in my neck of the woods the "gardens" would dry out far too easily.

It's Written on the Wall: Two Excellent Uses for Rain Gutters-Ribbon and Plants

Inside Urban Green: A 30-Day Old Rain Gutter Garden On a Deck Produces Amazing Results

DIY Vertical Garden with Reclaimed Gutters | greenUPGRADER

Small Space Solution: Make a Gutter Garden | Nest In StyleNest In Style | Garden Living with Modern Style

http://re-store.org/blog/2012/06/sal...green-nursery/

Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 AM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I have 6 rain gutters setup that we use for salad greens.

Old 04-06-2013, 02:32 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
The problem here is that with 44" of rain from September-June, they would overflow regularly and the plants would suffer from root rot. We do sometimes find small trees growing in them when we clean them out, from seed of the cedars, firs, and alders falling. Gutters are not meant for the weight of soil, so unless they are reinforced, are likely to eventually fall off. Most have one long aluminum nail every 6 feet holding it up, you would need at least double that.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM

Would you be able to drill holes in the bottoms for drainage? I guess they would just drain down into the one below...the bottom one would always be soaked. I did wonder about the reinforcing...it did seem like a lot of weight.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:29 PM

37,472 posts, read 61,423,512 times
I mounted two 2" X 4"s side-by-side in an 'L' shape, to give each of my rain gutters support, 8' long. It is plenty.

On the end caps I drilled an 1/8" hole about 2" up for drainage of excess water.

Mine are hung from posts in our porch, the roof eave extends beyond them, so normally rain run-off does not get in them.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,166,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
There have been tons of them popping up, especially in the reuse and recycle gardening websites. There are videos and how to pages as well. It is a neat idea if you have both the ability to hang the gutters properly and garden in small areas. There are plenty of free hanging ones as well. I think in my neck of the woods the "gardens" would dry out far too easily.

It's Written on the Wall: Two Excellent Uses for Rain Gutters-Ribbon and Plants

Inside Urban Green: A 30-Day Old Rain Gutter Garden On a Deck Produces Amazing Results

DIY Vertical Garden with Reclaimed Gutters | greenUPGRADER

Small Space Solution: Make a Gutter Garden | Nest In StyleNest In Style | Garden Living with Modern Style

Salvage Garden Fun at Village Green Nursery
This is marvelous!
I'm going to do straw bale gardening for my vegetables this year but I love the gutter idea for annuals and salad greens.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:56 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,788,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Would you be able to drill holes in the bottoms for drainage? I guess they would just drain down into the one below...the bottom one would always be soaked. I did wonder about the reinforcing...it did seem like a lot of weight.

The direction in one of the links I made showed how to do it including the drain holes: Small Space Solution: Make a Gutter Garden | Nest In StyleNest In Style | Garden Living with Modern Style

This woman made a set (direction on the page) but didn't drill holes because she lives in a dry climate and actually had to water the gardens more than once a day at times. Hanging Gutter Garden Part 2: Putting it Together | Maggie's Mind Mumbles

Just in case you think the gutter garden might not work this site has some pictures of other "gardens" you may want to consider trying. DIY Gardens for Small Spaces | That's Smart Deco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden