Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 05:58 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times

Advertisements

Hello all. This is something I've never had luck with and really haven't tried in years.

I brought my beautiful Easter lily home from church last Sunday that was at the altar in memory of my parents. It is still in the pot. I need any advice for planting this.

I live in southeast Tennessee in Zone 7. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 06:05 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Hello all. This is something I've never had luck with and really haven't tried in years.

I brought my beautiful Easter lily home from church last Sunday that was at the altar in memory of my parents. It is still in the pot. I need any advice for planting this.

I live in southeast Tennessee in Zone 7. Thank you.

From K-State Extension, information you can take to the bank!

K-State Horticulture Newsletter
http://www.hfrr.ksu.edu/doc3710.ashx

The first article is about planting Easter Lilies outside.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:13 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I'm in MD in zone 7. I planted an easter lily about 3 years ago and it has bloomed every year. Albeit, not at Easter. It is in partial shade under a 40-50 foot white pine on the edge of my shade garden. I guess these like quite a bit of shade based on my experience. They get what I'd call dappled sunlight mainly from the East.

I had no idea what I was doing at the time, but I believe I planted it after the last frost and simply watered it until it was established. I guess the area has good drainage thanks to the pine tree's roots. I just read that these need good drainage.

Although it/they are quite near the pine (about 4 feet from the trunk), the lilies (I think it had a baby or two) are at the bottom of a slope and it has rained frequently in MD in the past few years. I suppose that ensures they get enough water. Hopefully this is helpful. Good luck.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:29 PM

Thank you both!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,720,858 times
I plant Easter lillies every year!

We get them from residents who don't want them once the flowers have gone. Always in a little plastic pot, at least 4-6 of them every spring.

I just take them out and stick them in the ground. They thrive. I've had them rebloom after planting too, which I never expected.

Bulbs are easy, just dig a hole and plop it in. Done.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:50 PM

I have been trying to remember how long it has been since I planted any Easter lilies. I know that it's been at least thirteen years and probably longer. Can't remember what my issue was but can't wait to try again. I think that I am going to put it in my neighbor's bed I am fixing but am not sure yet. I want to buy either the townhome I'm in now or another one in the building.

I did plant a forsythia in front of mine. My neighbor's friend gave it to her and it helps the entire building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden