U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 PM

683 posts, read 1,779,081 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment and am looking for suggestions for a large and tall plant or tree that will grow well in a container for the corner of my balcony.

I live on the top floor so my balcony has a vaulted ceiling. My best guess is that it is 10 feet at its peak, although it could be even taller than that. The corner area is large enough to house a plant or tree that is a few feet in width.

The corner gets afternoon sun for four or five hours a day. My zone is 7b and I am looking for something that I can leave out there year-round so I don't have to drag it in and out a few times a year.

I would like something that has an appealing look, but other than that I am very open to just about anything.

What would you plant in this area?

I will try to upload some pictures of my balcony later in case that helps some of you visualize the area I am working with.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 01:53 PM

42,573 posts, read 56,735,774 times
Here's a suggestion. Pigmy Palm, a very poular container plant and e-z to care for.
Pygmy Palm

Old 04-06-2013, 02:03 PM

45,028 posts, read 56,243,791 times
Pygmi Palm looks just like you want a palm to look, but OP will need to drag it inside or the frost WILL kill it. We do have a Pindo Palm which does fine below freezing.
I'm thinking a wax myrtle might be pretty. It's a nice small tree that we have had growing next to our driveway in zone 8 and it gets nice little berries that the birds like, but it's not messy.

Old 04-08-2013, 06:09 PM

3,293 posts, read 2,386,215 times
Try a Rubber tree plant, move it indoors if there is a danger of frost though.
How To Care For A Rubber Tree Plant

bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden