U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 11:54 AM

25,626 posts, read 33,616,025 times

Advertisements

LOL, I see the bash contractors thread has reared it head again.

Best way to find contractors is to go where they are working. I'm having my roof redone. All the contractors, a total of 7, are from referrals within the construction industry.

Smart home owners come to you.

I don't advertise and all my work is referrals only.

When I meet a home owner that is a PIA wanting a bid I send them to Angies List.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 06-25-2013 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: added thought
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 366 times
Yeah, I agree. the last time I had my fences done, I really did some research and I was really pissed off by lots of fence contractors who don't have a fence calculator in their website.

Last edited by Rance; 12-02-2020 at 08:00 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 03:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,181,972 times
Once you get your "estimates" and decide on a contractor, get the proposal in writing. The proposal should include a copy of their insurance policy. You can check their license on line if your state requires one. (All the names: the contract, the insurance company and the license must match.) If you want something in the proposal, get it in writing. I have had some contractors hem and haw and I move on; some will do the proposal right in their vehicle and they have small printers to print it and have copies of their licenses and insurance with them.

Where I live, fence contractors should know the requirements of the localities of where the fence can go: on the property line or away from it. Be aware of any easements or rights of way.

The 4x4's which go into the ground are treated to go in the ground and be in that kind of environment. The rails and pickets are treated differently, they can withstand moisture but not burial in the ground. The price of wood is rising and if they get their supply from the big box stores their quality is diminishing during this time, sometimes they are simply out where I live.

Old 12-02-2020, 01:53 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
36,075 posts, read 65,617,486 times
No service provider should ever do anything without first seeing it. With fences, it's a matter of access to the site, soil condition, and topography. We just went halves on a fence with our neighbor on one side of our lot, and were surprised, almost shocked that our part was only $500. This is in a city with the average income $168k, average home price $1 million. The contractor did a great job, even using 6x6 posts, and didn't take advantage. When you see a neighbor getting a new fence, ask them for info on the contractor and whether they were happy.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 PM

3,454 posts, read 4,689,062 times
There are too many variables for a quote on their web site, if they even have one. Consumers are bad for "assuming" all fences are the same. Those "kits" that are sold the boards are too thin; they warp in a year. If your contractor has been around for awhile, and WARRANTIES their work, they'll be compared (by you) to some asshat shleppmeister that will be in/out of your yard, grab your money and disappear, that's why.

Old 12-21-2020, 02:04 PM

556 posts, read 566,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
There are too many variables for a quote on their web site, if they even have one. Consumers are bad for "assuming" all fences are the same. Those "kits" that are sold the boards are too thin; they warp in a year. If your contractor has been around for awhile, and WARRANTIES their work, they'll be compared (by you) to some asshat shleppmeister that will be in/out of your yard, grab your money and disappear, that's why.
This. Doing the research and replacing my old fence gave me new appreciation for fences. No such thing as a 'standard fence'. A lot of options for wood, style, bracing and fasteners to name just a few variables. Those online estimators are actually quite accurate. You can spend anywhere from $5k to $15k for the same size of wood fence. Depends on the quality of the materials used and how well it's put together. That's where you either need to price the materials yourself or get bids from contractors.

Old 12-22-2020, 05:41 PM

13,239 posts, read 11,160,039 times
Nevermind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden