Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 04:21 PM

24,458 posts, read 17,203,514 times

Advertisements

I have what is called a garden railroad and it has been taken over by a small short 2-3 inch tall weed? with tiny white flowers on it. I don't know what it is and don't know how to post a photo.
Pulling them out is a pain so I would like to spray something along the tracks that won't hurt brass and plastic that will kill the little buggers. I like them elsewhere on the layout but not growing on the tracks.
Would a water mixture of bleach work or maybe vinegar from a spray bottle? I don't want ot use roundup or ground clear since my pups play in the area and those seem to spread and kill anything around it.
Any ideas of what to use?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 11:14 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I have what is called a garden railroad and it has been taken over by a small short 2-3 inch tall weed? with tiny white flowers on it. I don't know what it is and don't know how to post a photo.
Pulling them out is a pain so I would like to spray something along the tracks that won't hurt brass and plastic that will kill the little buggers. I like them elsewhere on the layout but not growing on the tracks.
Would a water mixture of bleach work or maybe vinegar from a spray bottle? I don't want ot use roundup or ground clear since my pups play in the area and those seem to spread and kill anything around it.
Any ideas of what to use?
Thanks
10 homemade weed killers - MSN Real Estate

If you google home made weed killers, you will see several sites with possible answers to your question.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:16 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,818,984 times
They do mention this on the site - I just took an organic gardening class and they said white vinegar works just like round-up. Don't dilute it.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:08 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
[quote=NJDevil;29058636]They do mention this on the site - I just took an organic gardening class and they said white vinegar works just like round-up. Don't dilute it.[/QUOTE

Nope, it does not work like Roundup. Vinegar dries out the topgrowth and fries it, but it does not get transported down into the roots for a thorough kill like Roundup. This is verified by a homamade-weed-killer website:

"Pour white vinegar into a clean spray bottle, and spray it directly on the leaves of weeds. This will dry out the moisture in the weed's leaves and kill it. There is some debate about whether this kills the roots and as such really kills the plants, so you will want to pull the weed out once the vinegar does its work. Since vinegar can change the pH of soil, it's not a good idea to spray it directly on the soil."

http://www.ehow.com/way_5630325_homemade-killer-not-kill-grass.html"

There are a couple of good reasons not to use vinegar right there in the paragraph about using it! If you have to pull the weed after the foliage has died in order to get at the roots, what's the point of spraying it with vinegar? It's easier to pull when the topgrowth is alive!

Vinegar is not a good thing to put in your soil, and any homemade weed killer that calls for salt -- DON'T! Salt is one of the last things you want to put in your soil.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
What makes you think bleach is safer for your pets than RoundUp?

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Like the attachment?

Showed up for the first time, possibly, this year throughout our neighborhood after living here for more than 20 years.

====

Unless your images are housed "on the web" you have to use them in your posts as "attachments". You start a reply or post as usual, then go to the bottom of the posting screen, more or less, where it says "Manage Attachments". You then browse around your PC for the appropriate image and UPLOAD it as an attachment and it will appear in your post/reply like the one here in my reply. Clicking on the image will show the full-sized version.
Attached Thumbnails
Any Home remedies to kill weeds?-smallweedflowers.jpg  

Last edited by sullyguy; 04-11-2013 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: Added "How To"...

Old 04-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
What makes you think bleach is safer for your pets than RoundUp?

Bleach has no place in the garden -- not ever. I'll spray a diluted bleach solution on my garden tools, but that's it. What I have discovered with homemade weed killers is this: they are amateur science experiments that can go wrong from a safety aspect and also an effectiveness aspect. I will pour boiling water between patio pavers, but that's as far as I go with homemade remedies, which can get very expensive and not really do the job they promise to. If you do not kill the root, you usually do not kill the weed, and homemade concoctions just don't kill the root unless you drench the soil with them -- and then you have messed up your soil.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:29 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
I use regular dish soap and white vinegar and spray the various weeds around the yard. This mixture is adequate. You might try liquid corn gluten meal to help prevent weeds from growing. I used the dry version and am going to try this liquid verson next week. I ordered it yesterday. The dry version works pretty well, but you have to put it down in March before the weeds start to come out. About 6 weeks ago I added 100 lbs of soybean meal to my yard and it really helped getting a much thicker green grass growing which help control the weeds. I hate yard work. Such a waste of time fighting weeds and bugs.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
I use regular dish soap and white vinegar and spray the various weeds around the yard. This mixture is adequate. You might try liquid corn gluten meal to help prevent weeds from growing. I used the dry version and am going to try this liquid verson next week. I ordered it yesterday. The dry version works pretty well, but you have to put it down in March before the weeds start to come out. About 6 weeks ago I added 100 lbs of soybean meal to my yard and it really helped getting a much thicker green grass growing which help control the weeds. I hate yard work. Such a waste of time fighting weeds and bugs.
I used corn gluten meal for several years a decade ago. It gives so-so results, and it does not prevent broadleaf weeds like dandelions from coming up. It is also pretty hard to find at an affordable price unless you get it at a feed store. We lived on a half-acre lot and I remember paying $300 to do my March application of it one year. That's ridiculous. Extension agents don't even recommend it.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:46 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
To the OP; is there any chance you could just mow your weeds? Persistent mowing will get rid of many weeds that count on flowers higher than the cut of your mower. Perhaps you cannot fit the mower in your garden space? If you cannot; try a weed eater. The string weed eaters will quickly remove everything down to the soil. They will not remove the roots – but continually cutting the weeds off low will kill the plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden