Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2013, 03:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

I can't find my original posting which I did a few months ago, but have to relate a story to all of you. One of the flowers I claimed could not be found anymore were Nasturtiums. Well yesterday, I looked all over Home Depot and Lowe's: none. Today I did the same at Wal Mart, none. As I am wandering around, telling everyone on City Data they are crazy (of course I am talking to myself) I see a little collection of flowe seeds for .20 a package and guess what? There they are, in plain view. Ok, City Date gardeners, you were right, they are still available, Now we will see if I can get them to grow.. I guess the moral or the story, "don't give up"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 04:43 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Two flowers that are still available in seed are portulaca and Four-o'clocks. While the seeds are available, people don't seem to plant them, opting instead for the showier blossoms. That's pretty much what's occurred with nasturtiums. BTW, nasturtiums are edible, you know. Put them in a salad.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:24 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Huh? I have been buying portulaca and nasturtium seeds like...forever! Who has trouble finding them? They are among the easiest things to grow.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I saved my nasturtium seeds from last year (yep, they were available around here) and am going to plant hanging baskets with them. But, of course it's going to be 40 degrees and sleeting tomorrow. Still, looking forward to spring and flowers.

That was a good thread, the one you can't find.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
It is funny we are talking about Nasturtiums and Four O-clocks: that is the other one I bought yesterday. I had no trouble finding them. Now, if the weather cooperates tomorrow I will get them started.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:18 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Two flowers that are still available in seed are portulaca and Four-o'clocks. While the seeds are available, people don't seem to plant them, opting instead for the showier blossoms. That's pretty much what's occurred with nasturtiums. BTW, nasturtiums are edible, you know. Put them in a salad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Huh? I have been buying portulaca and nasturtium seeds like...forever! Who has trouble finding them? They are among the easiest things to grow.
I really do think that you didn't read my post. I clearly said that the seeds are available. What I have trouble finding are the flowers that result when the seeds are planted. Actually, the title of the thread is "FLOWERS we don't see anymore," and while you, personally, may plant some of these old-fashioned blooms, they are no longer as common in gardens as they once were.

Old 04-12-2013, 10:42 AM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I haven't seen four o'clocks in ages. When I moved into my first house in Cincinnati 20 years ago, and having grown up along Lake Erie where not much survives the winters, I didn't realize that four o'clocks could be perennial in some climates ... So my mom and I spent an entire afternoon pulling out these tubers that were all along one side of the house. A few escaped our wrath, and that's when I learned I had indeed murdered years' worth of beautiful flowers.

I see nasturtium seedlings in the garden stores sometimes; they're often marketed as companion plants for a vegetable garden.

Portulaca seedlings I buy only every three or four years, because they do like to reseed themselves. This one garden store I frequent always carries the most beautiful peach-colored flowers.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I think new gardeners are so used to the prepackaged paks of flowers they don't even think about tubers and seeds. If you can make friends with an older gardener you will find them very helpful and generous with seeds, cuttings, divisions. an established bed needs dividing every 2 or 3 years to keep growth vigorous. So next time you are in the garden center look at the seed packages and don't be afraid to try it yourself..... Either directly in the garden or container. You will have a pleasant surprise. i live in the South so we have a longer growing season but even you in the north can be successful with seeds.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:47 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,353,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I really do think that you didn't read my post. I clearly said that the seeds are available. What I have trouble finding are the flowers that result when the seeds are planted. Actually, the title of the thread is "FLOWERS we don't see anymore," and while you, personally, may plant some of these old-fashioned blooms, they are no longer as common in gardens as they once were.

Portulacas are and have been widely available in flats for as long as I can remember, in KC and in Chicago where I have lived. The reason you don't see nasturtiums in flats is that they grow way too long and spindly and way too fast, and they outgrow their containers too readily. Also the seeds are the easiest to grow.

Old 04-12-2013, 12:58 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Maybe one of the reasons you don't see many nastursum seedlings for sale is that they don't seem to transplant well. It could be there are hardier varieties now as the past few springs I have seen them at my local nursies. I will do at least one hanging pot of them as they seem to do very well into September.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden