Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2013, 02:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,086 times

Advertisements

I have had small patches of mushrooms/fungi pop up in the garden from time to time but last year some new ones sprouted and really took over some areas. They grow in cluster and look like dried button mushrooms without stems. They do shrivel and spout yellow spores when disturbed. I hoped that they would suffer some over the winter but today I see that they seem unaffected.

Other then doing away with mulch in these areas, is there anything I can do to slow their growth? I searched online for pictures but I cannot find anything that is exactly like what I am growing. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
It's perfectly normal for mushrooms to grow in mulch and it is not harmful to your plants. Spores are airborne. They land everywhere, but they reproduce and grow on moist dead organic matter like wood chips. There is no stopping it, and please don't get rid of the mulch in order to get rid of the mushrooms. What you are seeing is perfectlyt natural.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:26 PM

I know this is a natural phenomenon but, like with anything, too much is not a good thing. I was hoping something simple like changing the ph might help. It has taken over a wide span of a flower area and bled into an area we and the dog walks through daily.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
What is your watering schedule overwatering and watering at night will cause the conditions you are experiencing.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:19 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
I have had small patches of mushrooms/fungi pop up in the garden from time to time but last year some new ones sprouted and really took over some areas. They grow in cluster and look like dried button mushrooms without stems. They do shrivel and spout yellow spores when disturbed. I hoped that they would suffer some over the winter but today I see that they seem unaffected.

Other then doing away with mulch in these areas, is there anything I can do to slow their growth? I searched online for pictures but I cannot find anything that is exactly like what I am growing. Thank you in advance!
Nitram is right about the amount of water the area is getting. A wetter than usual winter and/or spring will cause a lot more to pop up and grow. Too frequent light watering that doesn't let the mulch completely dry out will also cause lots of fungi to grow.

You will have to be a little more proactive than you were. By letting them get to the shrivel and release yellow spores stage you effectively have let them multiply. Spores are the seed for the next generation of fungi. There is nothing wrong with them but it you don't like the look you will have to get out there after every rain and anytime you have watered and pick any new mushrooms before they reach the spore releasing stage. If you are persistent the level of new mushrooms will gradually diminish. I also have dug out the root area some mushrooms I had come in with a load of topsoil because they were quite ugly and smelly; they were one kind of stinkhorn.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone! The areas affected are adjacent to the part of yard that is wooded and tends to be damp. I actually don't water these areas at all. The dried mushrooms are very evident now - having gained a good foot hold through the late fall. Our weather has just, and I mean just, warmed to the point of working out in the yard so I am digging out clusters where I can. It is also an area that gets a fair amount of foot traffic by the dogs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden