U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 AM

748 posts, read 1,755,900 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to share some info on Seeds. This link lists many companies which use GMO seeds and many companies that sell safe seeds - NON GMO

Avoiding GMO-seed & Monsanto NO-GMO | Garden of Eatin'
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM

14,785 posts, read 22,357,262 times
I only buy my seeds from seedforthee . that is the only company well them and baker creek seeds . Only only buy from these two companys .

Old 05-02-2013, 08:21 PM

2,958 posts, read 12,227,180 times
Thanks for the post, msta999.

But I'll have to admit I'm really fuzzy over the whole GMO problem. Yes, I know Monsanto seeds are bred to be Roundup resistant, but does that make all GMOs bad? And if a seed company on the list sells GMO and non-GMO, why boycott the whole company? It would be better to boycott just the unwanted seeds, not the entire company. And how does one determine which seeds are GMO and which ones aren't?

Old 05-03-2013, 08:51 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,749,078 times
Pretty much everthing you grow in your garden is genetically changed from what was there 200 yrs ago. Its all been done previously by selective breeding - which is a random way of getting the "best" genes. Now humans have figured out how to do it in a non-random way, ie molecular biology.

Everything is genetically modified relative to 300 million years ago, except for the odd coelacanth and such.
The anti-GMO mantra is right up there with climate-change denial and vaccines-cause-autism.

And whats the issue anyway? - you eat millions of genes everytime you munch a lettuce leaf. Doesn't turn you green and curly.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:49 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,579,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Thanks for the post, msta999.

But I'll have to admit I'm really fuzzy over the whole GMO problem. Yes, I know Monsanto seeds are bred to be Roundup resistant, but does that make all GMOs bad? And if a seed company on the list sells GMO and non-GMO, why boycott the whole company? It would be better to boycott just the unwanted seeds, not the entire company. And how does one determine which seeds are GMO and which ones aren't?
Azoria, I agree with you 1000 million percent. I am so far only against Roundup ready. Because farmers think it is an excuse to spray the entire crop with herbicides. You may know how I feel about these chemicals. ..cough... As far as other advancements go...I am not one to stand in the way of science.

When buying seeds, I try to stick to older hybrids...before the advanced technology was developed. I figure these were developed the old-fashioned way, by crossbreeding or other "natural" forms of propagation. But I did buy some new-to-me disease-resistant tomato hybrids this year: mariana and better boy.

A web search indicates that these may be regular F1 hybrids. Although I have limited outdoor gardening experience, I will always go for a disease-resistant hybrid over the straight species if diseases are a problem. I've been burned enough on that score.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Azoria, I agree with you 1000 million percent. I am so far only against Roundup ready. Because farmers think it is an excuse to spray the entire crop with herbicides. You may know how I feel about these chemicals. ..cough... As far as other advancements go...I am not one to stand in the way of science.

When buying seeds, I try to stick to older hybrids...before the advanced technology was developed. I figure these were developed the old-fashioned way, by crossbreeding or other "natural" forms of propagation. But I did buy some new-to-me disease-resistant tomato hybrids this year: mariana and better boy.

A web search indicates that these may be regular F1 hybrids. Although I have limited outdoor gardening experience, I will always go for a disease-resistant hybrid over the straight species if diseases are a problem. I've been burned enough on that score.
One thing I've been hearing on the radio is GMO plants are responsible for many if the illnesses going around, that we didn't have before. they were also saying GMO plant are changing our DNA for ever and once it is changed, you can't correct it.........Who knows if it is true or not, but people do have many problems that they didn't have during or before the 70's. Besides, I don't see anything wrong with using old school seeds, unless your area won't grow them.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:50 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,358,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
One thing I've been hearing on the radio is GMO plants are responsible for many if the illnesses going around, that we didn't have before. they were also saying GMO plant are changing our DNA for ever and once it is changed, you can't correct it.........Who knows if it is true or not, but people do have many problems that they didn't have during or before the 70's. Besides, I don't see anything wrong with using old school seeds, unless your area won't grow them.

I really wish the scare tactics of the anti GMO groups would actually include facts. No where has anyone been able to provide a plausible reason that all the illnesses/ health problems/syndromes they attach to GMO really are related to the genetic engineering of a handful of crop foods. This is usually repeated by people who have no idea whatsoever of what is "engineered" in plants and the fact that those genes are not capable of living within our cells. Most don't even admit that the very first true GMO was introduced in the mid 90s so all that diseases since the 70s or earlier is already off base. More illnesses are being shown to be caused by a change of lifestyle in the population (sitting indoors, eating processed foods) and that is the single biggest change since the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I prefer many of the heirloom plants for taste and at times better nutrition, and prefer we always keep the original variations from human breeding over the centuries around because I think that mono-cultural growing is asking for some colossal failures down the road, something that has happened before and is scientifically demonstrated.

I certainly am not a fan of the bred to resist roundup plants, and some of the ones that have been bred purely to look good after the abuse of harvest, shipping and sitting on the grocers shelf. Often when things are bred for one purpose we lose other valuable traits like flavor and nutrition.

I think heirloom plants should be grown and used, especially in the home garden, but the anti GMO stuff is just a bit sad.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I really wish the scare tactics of the anti GMO groups would actually include facts. No where has anyone been able to provide a plausible reason that all the illnesses/ health problems/syndromes they attach to GMO really are related to the genetic engineering of a handful of crop foods. This is usually repeated by people who have no idea whatsoever of what is "engineered" in plants and the fact that those genes are not capable of living within our cells. Most don't even admit that the very first true GMO was introduced in the mid 90s so all that diseases since the 70s or earlier is already off base. More illnesses are being shown to be caused by a change of lifestyle in the population (sitting indoors, eating processed foods) and that is the single biggest change since the 50s, 60s and 70s.

I prefer many of the heirloom plants for taste and at times better nutrition, and prefer we always keep the original variations from human breeding over the centuries around because I think that mono-cultural growing is asking for some colossal failures down the road, something that has happened before and is scientifically demonstrated.

I certainly am not a fan of the bred to resist roundup plants, and some of the ones that have been bred purely to look good after the abuse of harvest, shipping and sitting on the grocers shelf. Often when things are bred for one purpose we lose other valuable traits like flavor and nutrition.

I think heirloom plants should be grown and used, especially in the home garden, but the anti GMO stuff is just a bit sad.
I guess you are write. We all know that big business and big government will only do what is good for the people, there for we should just go on with our lives and not give a second thought to what we buy and put in our bodies....................NOT! Those two groups only look out for them selves and work towards their agendas. But no matter what you think about them, why do you criticize anyone who wants to stay away from GMOs? I am only hear to see if anyone else is concerned about them and to hear what they have learned about GMO's.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:02 PM

6,472 posts, read 15,579,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msta999 View Post
I guess you are write. We all know that big business and big government will only do what is good for the people.
LOL Sadly, the only place that guarantees its organics are non GMO is Wholefoods...and it is an expensive store. But besides that, most people seem to only care about how inexpensive their food is. Strange.

Old 05-05-2013, 04:21 PM

My whole purpose for starting this thread is to choose what seeds to use for the garden. When I saw the info on the link I posted, I thought others might be interested or know something about it. Either way, I would rather raise non high bread plants. It seemed to work good for my grandmother, she always had plenty of canned foods in her house. We have very little control of what is in the grocery store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden