Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:55 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times

Advertisements

Very sad. We can't grow them here because we have no shade, but ohhhhh...how I adore impatiens.

Impatiens downy mildew « KSU Turfgrass Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:01 PM

22,584 posts, read 47,649,975 times
ONE grower does not a disaster make.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
So you think the article is an overreaction? I don't. One grower's plants, shipped all over the country, is very very bad. That's how oak wilt spread all over the country.

Extension offices distrribute this information to alert people to any disease that might spread to an entire crop, be it ornamental or edible. I am sharing it here.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:41 PM

I don't think it is anything to dwell on. It IS just one grower, and they are correcting it at the source.

I agree that "One grower's plants, shipped all over the country, is very very bad." But that article does not say if ANY were shipped, yet alone spread throughout the country.

Old 05-02-2013, 04:18 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Wow. Really, you think that is all that means? One grower had a little ol' mildew problem? Then by all means go buy some for yourself and ignore the silly people.

I'm sure Tina was trying to bring up the subject assuming many active gardeners have already heard of the disease and might not be aware of how far it has spread. We've been trying to warn people here because the "box stores" have been demanding their growers grow it anyway increasing the risk of the disease contaminating more greenhouses. While doing a road trip we visited just visited a greenhouse like that today. They will lose a contract for all there plants if she doesn't. So she is spraying fungicides continually in hopes of staving off the problem.

For those who might actually be wondering what the outbreak is about.... This downy mildew is specific to one kind of impatiens but it happens to be one of the most grown and bought plants in US nurseries. It's been big news for a couple of years and they haven't been able to stop the spread. They are discussing it because in spite of quarantines and destruction of whole green houses worth of plants (as they were describing in the article) this has spread to nearly half of the USA. It also has spread in Europe where it was seen about 8 or so years ago.

There is no cure and standard prevention has not slowed the spread although fungicides seem to keep it at bay for a short time in some cases. You can go and buy what looks like a fully healthy set of plants, flat or basket of them and within weeks have rotting plants. All parts of the plants get the mold and there are no resistant varieties or treatments yet available for it once the plant has even a single speck of mold. If you have already bought impatiens watch them carefully and do not compost any plant parts if your impatiens show signs of disease and dig out the soil all around anything that was infected.

Its best to not even plant them and go with something else this year and next. Locally we have been recommending planting begonias and coleus for the gardener looking for color in dappled shade areas and to avoid any regular impatiens and their native cousin sometimes called "Jewelweed".

New Guinea Impatens and SunPatiens seem to be immune if anyone has bought those and is concerned.

Just so you can see this is not only <one grower somewhere in Kansas> try any of the links for some of the various states that have infections (I did not include west coast states but all 3 CA,OR and WA have problems)

Impatiens Downy Mildew
Impatiens Downy Mildew Confirmed in Massachusetts | UMass Amherst Landscape, Nursery & Urban Forestry Program
Impatiens disease devastates flower in Illinois, across America - Chicago Tribune
Impatiens downy mildew: A curse and opportunity for your garden | MSU Extension
Downy Mildew on Impatiens | Fact Sheets
Downy Mildew on Impatiens &mdash; Dauphin County &mdash; Penn State Extension

For those who want to see what states are dealing with the infection already and how fast it is spreading: Map Shows Drastic Spread In Downy Mildew From 2011 To 2012 - Today's Garden Center Website - Article

Old 05-02-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
Wow. Really, you think that is all that means? One grower had a little ol' mildew problem?
Excuse me, but that is all that her link said... a grower. So yes, that is all I thought it meant, because that is all that article said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I'm sure Tina was trying to bring up the subject assuming many active gardeners have already heard of the disease and might not be aware of how far it has spread.
My mind reading skills are not as good as yours. I commented on one article, assuming nothing else. That article said nothing of how far it has spread.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Another excellent post J&Em. Thanks for spreading the relevant information.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:12 PM

I'm just having a hard time getting my head around the fact that I posted a caution about a plant disease on this forum and it created a kerfuffle. All I was doing was posting a link to a blog post by someone at K-State Extension. Our hotline phones have been ringing off the hook with people asking about this. I still think it was worth sharing.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
I'm just having a hard time getting my head around the fact that I posted a caution about a plant disease on this forum and it created a kerfuffle. All I was doing was posting a link to a blog post by someone at K-State Extension. Our hotline phones have been ringing off the hook with people asking about this. I still think it was worth sharing.
HeHeHe

Dontchaknow you gotta check in with PC first. Your lack of experience is so obvious.

I had a sod grower get hit by cut worms. I noticed it a week after they installed about 20,000 sqft for me on a new housing development. They ended up having to spray about 500,000 sqft on shipments over the previous month as well as remove and replace about 100,000 because it wasn't caught in time.

It was a great heads up on your part.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:54 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,782,021 times
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think it is anything to dwell on. It IS just one grower, and they are correcting it at the source.

I agree that "One grower's plants, shipped all over the country, is very very bad." But that article does not say if ANY were shipped, yet alone spread throughout the country.
Quote:
Excuse me, but that is all that her link said... a grower. So yes, that is all I thought it meant, because that is all that article said.

My mind reading skills are not as good as yours. I commented on one article, assuming nothing else. That article said nothing of how far it has spread.

While you may not feel it is something to dwell on because you didn't want to read beyond the title and pictures, I didn't "mind read" anything. I do practice reading comprehension before being posting a comment on someone's post. The article really was not hard to read, included this paragraph right at the get go:

Quote:
This disease thrives in cool, wet conditions and has therefore been more of a problem in states farther east. In those areas, impatiens downy mildew emerged on the scene in fall 2011 and continued to be a problem in 2012. This year, the disease is back and has been getting a lot of press lately, including even the New York Times:
Note the dates, its been a problem for 2 years (actually it has been a know issue far longer but that was when many large growers began having severe problems in multiple states in spite of containment attempts). The NY Times article that was alluded to in the article was the first link below that paragraph and the first paragraph in it reads:
Quote:
A mysterious strain of downy mildew has been killing one of the home gardener’s favorite annual flowers, Impatiens walleriana, up and down the East and West Coasts, in the Midwest, Texas and Ontario
and went on from there.

So again the article was not about one grower, one greenhouse or even one state, it just exemplified the latest casualty to a considerable problem. All of that was in the very first post. No mind reading, no insistence that it is one grower when it is clearly not. No excuses. Just quite ordinary reading comprehension before posting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden