Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anamandy View Post
Where do I get these cameras and how do I install them?
Game cams are available of-the-shelf at WalMart. They cost about $100 and can be set to record when movement occurs or on a periodic interval. The picture quality is decent, especially in daylight. Most have infrared LEDS so they can also shoot at night in black and white. Mine are good at picking up deer and feral cats. They do go through batteries, so if you can set one up with a power supply you can save money.

Security cams are available on the web or at places like Harbor Freight. Some have recorders, some attach to your tv or VHS/DVD/DVR. If someone visits us, I throw one of these on the tv screen, just so they get the idea and spread the word. I caught a scrapper on my property with these. X-10 also has a selection of security cams.

IP cams are available through Amazon. These also can have IR LEDS for night shooting and be set up for motion capture. The ones I have allow me to pan and tilt the cameras.

Being in the country, where the police are only a half-hour away in an emergency, security is a do-it-yourself project. In my discussions at the sheriff's office (getting my concealed carry permit renewed) I learned that they LOVE pictures and are much more likely to get a successful prosecution with pics.

Also... if you have cams - advertise the fact with signs. They don't have to be large or obtrusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,172,168 times
I'll lighten this thread up with a funny story, and please don't hate on me, because I as an innocent participant.

Years ago when I lived in San Francisco, some friends of mine invited me and about a dozen other friends to Golden Gate Park for a croquet game. When we got there, they had "borrowed" two pink flamingos from a front yard, to watch the game. They left a note on the person's front door "from" the flamingos, saying they had gone to play croquet, but would be back the next morning and not to worry about them. One of the friends took a photo of all of us, from the knees down, posing behind the two flamingos, had it developed at a one-hour photo place, and surreptitiously returned the flamingos with the photo of them at the game the next day.

I know if that happened to me, I would find it very amusing. I hope the owner of the house did, too!

Old 05-05-2013, 03:50 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
I'll lighten this thread up with a funny story, and please don't hate on me, because I as an innocent participant.

Years ago when I lived in San Francisco, some friends of mine invited me and about a dozen other friends to Golden Gate Park for a croquet game. When we got there, they had "borrowed" two pink flamingos from a front yard, to watch the game. They left a note on the person's front door "from" the flamingos, saying they had gone to play croquet, but would be back the next morning and not to worry about them. One of the friends took a photo of all of us, from the knees down, posing behind the two flamingos, had it developed at a one-hour photo place, and surreptitiously returned the flamingos with the photo of them at the game the next day.

I know if that happened to me, I would find it very amusing. I hope the owner of the house did, too!
You have a wicket sense of humor...

Old 05-05-2013, 05:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You have a wicket sense of humor...
OMG. That is funny and that's my sense of humor although I'd never quite have the nerve to actually take something. It's cute and clever --and I hope the owners appreciated the humor. Flamingos as spectators lol.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:40 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:

I think this ^^^^ is harmless fun and really it was only two pink plastic flamingos nothing too serious and Im sure I would have found it amusing as well and would have kept the pic LOL ...no hate coming from here .And the difference was you returned them ,

Last edited by phonelady61; 05-05-2013 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-05-2013, 08:04 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Haven't had it happen to me but there are people who drive around in my area and steal nice (expensive) containers off of people's porches. So rude! Sorry this happened to you.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:13 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Quote:

Oh, that's a GREAT story!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
I had a three foot angel statue smashed to pieces in my driveway a few hours after my husband didn't buy anything from the neighbor kid next door. So I bought a new one and put in my back garden. I still have a couple Iron angels in the front that were left alone. Mean kid.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:27 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Not exactly garden ornaments but I had lit ornaments for Christmas stolen once several years ago in the middle of the night. The woman I talked to from the police to report it told me she heard one other that night so someone went around and picked out a few things I guess. I was rather ill that night, stayed home the next day, got up late and eventually looked out the window, blinked a few times and thought "wha...?" Granted I think these would attract attention from some half drunk kids driving by or whatever: palm tree, flamingo and alligator. They were in the middle of the front yard, but my bedroom is in the back so. I bought another palm tree to replace when Lowe's had the same one the next year, but I've never used it. Still sealed in box, awaiting its eventual time to be used (perhaps on the rear patio instead).

Hasn't made me feel unsafe or wishing for cameras outside. Since nothing else happened before or since, and I've had lots of things left out in the yard, even the garage door left open all day one time by accident, etc, it really has proven not to be an issue. Seems like a one-time, one-off "Hey look at that" scenario.

Or one or more of my neighbors REALLY hated it. (I'd like to think that regardless of how well or little we know each other they would ASK first rather than just rip it off though.)

Old 05-06-2013, 08:36 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I had a three foot angel statue smashed to pieces in my driveway a few hours after my husband didn't buy anything from the neighbor kid next door. So I bought a new one and put in my back garden. I still have a couple Iron angels in the front that were left alone. Mean kid.
I do believe I would have confronted the parents of that child and dropped the broken angel pieces right there on their doorstep and told them , "hi there since your kid wanted to break my angel , you can clean it up " . Listen when I had my house everyone knew I had a gun and a mean dog and they knew better than to mess with me and they also knew I was not wrapped too tight to begin with . LOL .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden