Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:04 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times

Advertisements

I didn't do anything fancy with the layout; just placed them in a line along a portion of fence where they'll get full sun and I will have easy watering access.
Hopefully I'll be planting my veggies next weekend as long as the weather forecast is nice!
I'll update this thread periodically with pics.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 02:38 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,352,667 times
That's how you do it! Now keep posting as everything grows!!

Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM

I definitely will!
They don't look it in the photos but the inside of the bales are getting sort of mushy, I'm generating some mushrooms already and two are enthusiastically sprouting grass seeds so hopefully vegetable babies will take off.

The house in the photo is my next door neighbors'; other than a neighbor across the street there are no other close neighbors. I've already been asked WTH I am doing watering a row of bales every morning, LOL.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Hahahaha!! I know the feeling of being laughed at for that! And hey, I like that fence. That's a nice treatment for chainlink. Is it yours or the neighbor's?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM

Fence is mine, and what happened was we started to build it as a 6' privacy fence BEFORE I checked with the local building dept. (I know, dumb of me.) So all the posts and rails were in. My house is off to the right of those photos.

Apparently fence that is in front of the plane of the house front, if that makes sense, must be chain link or see-through, plus only 5' tall. So we lopped the posts lower, dug a trench all around and attached the 6' chain link fencing I had to the posts and buried about a foot underground. It's very sturdy!

I bought a small house on four city lots. So the fenced part is most of one entire lot, plus behind my house, which gives the dogs a pretty sizeable yard to run in. But I don't trust them not to tromp all over a veg garden, which is why there's a fence between them and it....

Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 AM

Ohhhhh, how we want a small house on a big big lot!!! There is just no such thing here. We'd have to buy a big lot and build a house, and that ain't going to happen!

Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 PM

374 posts, read 509,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I definitely will!
They don't look it in the photos but the inside of the bales are getting sort of mushy, I'm generating some mushrooms already and two are enthusiastically sprouting grass seeds so hopefully vegetable babies will take off.

The house in the photo is my next door neighbors'; other than a neighbor across the street there are no other close neighbors. I've already been asked WTH I am doing watering a row of bales every morning, LOL.

I see the dog next door is eyeing them too. Hope his aim is bad.

I think this is a good idea but may contribute to mold if not watered properly. Still I like it,good luck.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokesalad4u2 View Post
I see the dog next door is eyeing them too. Hope his aim is bad.

I think this is a good idea but may contribute to mold if not watered properly. Still I like it,good luck.
Actually those are two of my dogs, and I encourage them to pee on the bales!
They have to be conditioned for 10 days to a month with nitrogen (I'm using blood and bone meal fertilizer) and urine is high in nitrogen. I've found some blogs and articles where people who are organic gardeners use only urine.

Mold won't be an issue.

I was going to plant tomorrow but we have a late frost expected Sunday into Monday, low in the 20s. So I'm holding off until after then.

The interiors of the bales are composting nicely and still quite warm if I can get my hand way down inside. It's a cool, rainy day but the bales are still a bit warm. Hopefully the photo sort of shows how they're breaking down.
The second photo is another of my dogs, who is intensely interested in the whole sprinkling of blood and bone meal process LOL. He's convinced I am doing something edible and he really wants to get to those bales!

I will update when I plant.

Old 05-10-2013, 06:53 PM

No, mold is absolutely not an issue. I grew in straw bales for four of the last five years. It is an amazing medium for growing things. Chiro, that is exactly what the bales should be looking like now. Make sure to stuff compost in the planting holes when you plant.

I love that pooch!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
No, mold is absolutely not an issue. I grew in straw bales for four of the last five years. It is an amazing medium for growing things. Chiro, that is exactly what the bales should be looking like now. Make sure to stuff compost in the planting holes when you plant.

I love that pooch!
So that picture of the decomposing bale looks about right? Yay!
I'm overthinking and doing paralysis by analysis wondering if I shouldn't have been monitoring temperature and such, so thank you for that reassurance. I have a couple of bags of organic compost left over from last year, so will do.

Pooch loves ya back. Because of his size and breed he tends to terrify people but he really is a sappy lad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden