Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 05:18 PM

845 posts, read 1,348,941 times

Advertisements

My sister was kind enough on my birthday and bought me a basket full of seeds with grow-planters (little plastic boxes to grow seeds in). It had a few herbs is in, but the main thing was tomatoes; beefsteak.

I've grew tomatoes in the past within my garden but they didn't take. My first time was sticking the seed in the ground and wait. Most died due to frost or just never came up. I learned about potting indoors but didn't know about pinching the tops, and again the second time around, they all died or didn't produce much at all.

This time around, I have a lot of seedlings started and need to know the proper timing on when to pinch the tops. Any help or advice would be wonderful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
I'm no expert, but have grown tomatoes and other vegetables for many years.

Tomatoes in particular need full sun; a ton of light every day. I can't imagine a tomato plant indoors getting sufficient light, except perhaps with a gro-light to supplement natural light.

I've had tomatoes come up "wild" from the seeds left over from previous years' crops as well as ones I've grown from seed or plantlings. I maybe pinch off the non-productive lower leaves but even so, a tomato plant with adequate light, soil and water is a fairly sturdy thing and will grow just fine without any pinching or pruning.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:04 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm no expert, but have grown tomatoes and other vegetables for many years.

Tomatoes in particular need full sun; a ton of light every day. I can't imagine a tomato plant indoors getting sufficient light, except perhaps with a gro-light to supplement natural light.

I've had tomatoes come up "wild" from the seeds left over from previous years' crops as well as ones I've grown from seed or plantlings. I maybe pinch off the non-productive lower leaves but even so, a tomato plant with adequate light, soil and water is a fairly sturdy thing and will grow just fine without any pinching or pruning.
I concurreth.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
oh thanks to the poster who said no pinching or pruning Im growing dwarf tomatoes inside with a grow light and I leave that on 12-14 hrs a day . You must provide plenty of water and feed them . I give plant food in water twice a month and water plain too ...

Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Tomatoes are pollinated by insects. If you could even get them to the point of flowering indoors, you would have to hand pollinate them, and also -- what was said above.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,398,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Tomatoes are pollinated by insects. If you could even get them to the point of flowering indoors, you would have to hand pollinate them, and also -- what was said above.
I'm sorry, TMG, I am going to disagree. I believe tomatoes are self-fertile. You should be able to get tomatoes from a single plant if there is enough wind, or if you shake the plant with your hand to ensure fertilization. how to hand pollenate tomatoes - Hydroponics Forum - GardenWeb

Old 05-09-2013, 05:49 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,351,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I'm sorry, TMG, I am going to disagree. I believe tomatoes are self-fertile. You should be able to get tomatoes from a single plant if there is enough wind, or if you shake the plant with your hand to ensure fertilization. how to hand pollenate tomatoes - Hydroponics Forum - GardenWeb
Self fertile? That's a new one.

Shaking the plant to disperse the pollen IS hand pollinating. I had to do it to some heirloom tomatoes a few years ago, and they were planted outdoors.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have a greenhouse and my tomatoes get enough pollination from the breeze with the door and window open most of the summer. Real hand pollinating I do on the zucchini, in case the bees don't go in, and I have to use a small artists brush with soft bristles and go from male to female flowers.

On the tomatoes I remove the lower leaves as they start to yellow, but only pinch toward the end of the season when I know it's too late for any new blossoms to develop ripe fruit before the cold comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden