Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 05:23 AM

6,500 posts, read 6,047,101 times

Advertisements

I planted this a month ago or so, and it was doing great for a while. Recently, I noticed a bunch of holes in the leaves. Now it looks like its really dying. Is there anyway to find out why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 05:54 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,508,101 times
If they are large holes then it's probably leaf cutter bee - no need to do anything. If they are tiny tiny then rose slug. Spray with pure neem oil which is organic as well. You can buy 8 oz for $12 on Amazon. Spray it in the late afternoon and under the leaves as well.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:15 AM

Thanks. Do you think this plant is already on its way to death by looking at it, and past the point of saving? The roses sure are leaning over heavily.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:54 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,508,101 times
I can't see the pic if you posted.

Old 06-08-2013, 07:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,170,601 times
no pictures. try again. but if you still have substantial plant left, even if you heavily prune now it should recover but maybe not bloom till next year. Different parts of the country are dealing with serious problems and sometimes knock out are the victims.

read this thread for more info.

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...e-rosette.html

Old 06-08-2013, 08:13 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
no pictures. try again. but if you still have substantial plant left, even if you heavily prune now it should recover but maybe not bloom till next year. Different parts of the country are dealing with serious problems and sometimes knock out are the victims.

read this thread for more info.

//www.city-data.com/forum/garde...e-rosette.html
I was just about to type the same thing! A picture sure would help.

Is the whole plant leaning over or are the flowers so heavy on the stems that they are dropping downward?

Have you watered the rose and how often, if you have?

It sounds like 2 different problems between the leaf holes and the leaning over.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:23 AM

Weird, I see the pics I posted, but no one else can.

Here is a link to the gallery. Not sure why when I post them here, only I can view them. Never heard of that before.

Postimage.org / gallery - WP 20130608 001, WP 20130608 002, WP 20130608 003, WP 20130608 004

Old 06-08-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Em View Post
I was just about to type the same thing! A picture sure would help.

Is the whole plant leaning over or are the flowers so heavy on the stems that they are dropping downward?

Have you watered the rose and how often, if you have?

It sounds like 2 different problems between the leaf holes and the leaning over.

Its gotten plenty of water recently. I havent watered much lately because we've had some rain.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:44 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,801,905 times
OK.... saw the picture you linked to. I won't try to diagnose the holes, anything from grass hoppers to several other culprits can make holes like that. Japanese Beetles are still not out for most of the country so they most likely aren't it.

The roses are too heavy for the new stems the way it looks, especially after some heavy rain they will be water logged as well. They may have been fertilized a bit too much and are shooting out new but weak stems as they try to flower. I would rim them back a little as NoKudzu says in order to let them get some stem strength and see if that helps. I tend to dead head them because even now I have times when there are so many flowers on a stem that it will begin to bend downward. The big difference is mine are on much bigger bushes already and don't hit the ground. While they are incredibly sturdy as new plants they will need a little more care. When getting them established they will need regular watering to prevent wilting and weakness that allows diseases to take hold.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:21 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,370,190 times
I know what it is, though every time I bring up rose sawfly larvae, no one acknowledges what a fabulous job I've done of nailing the problem.

I really wish people would stop, read the links, and ID the pest before throwing all sorts of pesticides on the rose, because you might very well treat for a pest you don't have and end up with more chewed leaves.

The pest is ROSE SAWFLY LARVAE. They are also called ROSE SLUGS. The telltale sign is the brown patching where they have chewed all the green tissue down to the veining. They skeletonize foliage. They are usually active in the spring and early summer -- like now. They look like caterpillars, but they ARE NOT CATERPILLARS and they are not worms. They are the larvae of an adult, winged insect. So do not use a caterpillar killer on them. Yoiu'll be wasting your time and money.

Other than that, your roses are fine. Roses, especially Knockouts, are very hardy and bounce back from more than you think. Here is a link to a very excellent article on them published by Iowa State Extension. Extension services only publish research-based data and are THE place to go for reliable information without the B.S. and folklore. You can control them quite easily.
Rose Sawfly - Roseslug | Plant and Insect Diagnostic Clinic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden