Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,827,193 times

Advertisements

Another thought about keeping plants in nursery pots for any length of time. As it gets hotter and dryer the dirt "shrinks" and everything draws up to the center which leaves a gap all around the pot. When we water it can actually run right down that gap and out the bottom yet the soil and roots never got much water at all. That is why I like to use wicking for watering. I put pots in saucers so the water can draw up into the soil. This is the best way to water and rarely do I have a problem with roots "standing" in water. That seems to happen more with house plants.

I have some nursery pots on the back deck right now I need to get in terra cotta or in the ground. The girls are in charge of watering but some plants are in bad shape. Come to find out they just hold the hose to the rim and water till it comes out the bottom but none is getting in the soil. Some remedial watering lessons are needed in this household! But it's already in the 90's so I'll wait till early morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 11:08 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,311,174 times
More great thoughts and suggestions! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden