Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,935 times

Advertisements

I don't know where to ask this question, so am hoping someone here has had a similar situation.

I have a large 10'-12' shrub right behind a screened-in-porch. This morning I noticed a robin starting to build a nest roughly 8' high in the shrub. The porch is used a lot, and area around the shrub is heavy traffic, with mowing, flowers for cutting, a dog running around, and occasionally two cats on the porch [not in the yard].

My gut tells me two conflicting things --- 1. this isn't a good place for the nest and I should remove it before it gets too far along and 2. leave it alone.

Any advice /suggestions appreciated. ty.

Last edited by jazzarama; 06-17-2013 at 07:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 07:17 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
I understand how you feel since a few years back we had a crazy robin build her nest on our deck stairs. This is a place that not only gets foot traffic but was in the hot sun for 2/3 of the day. I did some research and after trying to discourage her and finding a new nest had begun one step up we finally just left her alone. She had some eggs in there and brooded for a while. We avoided using the steps entirely so we have no idea if any survived. We think several of the eggs were taken by wild animals since it appeared like there were less eggs when we checked once.

From reading about them we learned that they can and do nest in weird places and like nesting in shrubs and small trees, with a nest height between 5-10 feet most often. Different websites had different information on the particulars but that was a good rule of thumb that I've seen just around the neighborhood. The successful robins' nests we have in our trees have been about 8-10 feet up. They are very tolerant of noise, people and pets going buy in comparison to other birds like Mockingbirds who will attack mercilessly.

If you are really worried you can probably build a nest shelf for them and place it close by, but slightly higher up or out of the way. You can also purchase one ready made in places that have bird feeding supplies. They look like this: Nesting shelf, nest ledges, nesting platforms

As far as weird places to nest, it seems that people have found robins in all sorts of weird nesting places that they have photographed and shared: Robins Nest in Unusual Place

Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
We had a robin's nest right outside our front door, under the little portico over the stoop. We could come and go and that mama robin stayed on the nest. No problem. That was two years ago, and there was another brood in it this year. Again, no problem.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I have tried to let birds live where they want but now remove any nest that will be in my traffic area. Robins and Doves often build close to my house and I remove the nest as soon as I find it since there is plenty of places elsewhere for them to nest. The droppings, feathers, and especially the young are a big hassle.

Old 06-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have tried to let birds live where they want but now remove any nest that will be in my traffic area. Robins and Doves often build close to my house and I remove the nest as soon as I find it since there is plenty of places elsewhere for them to nest. The droppings, feathers, and especially the young are a big hassle.
We contracted with a painter to stain all the cedar front entry area, just where the robin's nest was. We delayed the job until the babies hatched and fledged. My husband INSISTED!

Old 06-17-2013, 03:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,067,856 times
We had cardinals build a nest next to our door, about 6' off the ground. High traffic area with cats and no issues. Another one built a nest in a topiary about 4' off the ground. The cat ate that one straight out of the nest.

Old 06-17-2013, 03:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
This was my experience this spring. Made me sad.

//www.city-data.com/forum/natur...obins-egg.html

Old 06-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
This was my experience this spring. Made me sad.

//www.city-data.com/forum/natur...obins-egg.html
My husband convinced me not to get crazy when nests are disrupted. He said it's Nature, and as much as we hate it sometimes, we can't save them all. What broke my heart, though, was when he found a dead mama kildeer sitting on her nest at our creekbed. One egg was still there, Two were gone. It was so odd that something could have gotten to her because kildeer mamas and papas purposely lead predators away from their nests to protect their young. They do that amazing broken-wing dance. So something must have really caught her offguard, maybe an owl or a hawk.

We celebrate those kildeers every year and follow their progress, funny little things they are. I broke down in tears when he told me. The happiest moment of the year comes around late February or March, when we hear the kildeers out back; we know summer is coming.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:12 PM

1,376 posts, read 2,164,563 times
I love the fact that Robins are so "neighborly" and always building nests close to our house. I feel very privileged that they allow us to watch the entire progress, from the first twig to the last baby being chucked out! But of course it's very upsetting when that life cycle is suddenly interrupted. The last time I found 3 brilliant turquoise colored eggs in a nest in our shed window, I rushed to show my 4 year old grandson the eggs the very next day. I hoisted him up, and said, "Look! Aren't they beautiful?" He turned and looked at me with a such a sad face, shaking his head. "Where they gone?" Oh man. I went to great lengths to explain nature and the food chain then he told me not to worry, that she would have some more eggs, lol.

She did. Another nest was promptly built on TOP of the existing one so now we have a nest high-rise!

And another nest on our eavestrough. Those birds are hard workers. I watch as she hunts for just the right thatch, and she flies back up there once she's gathered 4 or 5 pieces in her beak. Once the eggs hatch it seems like an endless parade of both parents feeding, taking turns. They sure let you know when you're too close! "Okay, okay, I'm going inside, leaving my yard now. I mean, your yard..."

Old 06-17-2013, 11:26 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
OP, you never said if there were eggs in the nest. If there are eggs I would leave it alone, if not I would take the next out and see if the mama will build elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden