U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 06:12 AM

3,339 posts, read 8,871,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Maybe Tina, you use your shovel as a spreading tool much more effectively than the boys, not so much work with the spade, my Dad and i spread with a shovel/wrist action only...very hard, around plants and such. He is 84 I am 60. We wish we could find someone for 10.00 an hour. We do 4-6 ", shoveling out from the back of a trailer.

So maybe you are just more effective/efficient?
Shovel? For mulch? Uh uh. Spade fork or compost fork only. Snow shovel to get the thin layer at the end. I provide all three to people who do this for us. You can't plunge a shovel into a mulch pile. Spreading is easy. Flip it into the beds and then fluff mulch off the plants. That is tomorrow's lesson.

I guess I'm having a hard time with the idea that mulching is a skill. Yeah, I am an experienced gardener, but as a novice, it was a no- brainer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 08:43 AM

6,490 posts, read 8,182,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcG View Post
Shovel? For mulch? Uh uh. Spade fork or compost fork only. Snow shovel to get the thin layer at the end. I provide all three to people who do this for us. You can't plunge a shovel into a mulch pile. Spreading is easy. Flip it into the beds and then fluff mulch off the plants. That is tomorrow's lesson.

I guess I'm having a hard time with the idea that mulching is a skill. Yeah, I am an experienced gardener, but as a novice, it was a no- brainer.
i did all 5 of my yards with a shovel. I guess it would be called a "transfer shovel". A fork would definitely have been easier, why didn't I think of that?! At least I saved $15 since I didn't have to buy one.

You mentioned that you told them to be pretty careless about hitting plants and being neat. Maybe you need to demonstrate just how careless you're okay with?

Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM

34,156 posts, read 14,614,462 times
Quote:

No we don't plunge the shovel, the shovel goes flat against the trailer floor, lift up and flip It's all good

Old 06-21-2013, 10:13 AM

25,626 posts, read 34,603,476 times
Those boys are sand bagging and inexperienced.

Asses and elbows gentle man asses and elbows.

Based on your posts Tina I'd say they could pick up the pace by 50-75%.

1 cubic yard per 15min per two man crew is what I plan for production with just wheel barrows and no more than 150 feet of travel.

Again this is for full grown men with a crew leader breathing down there necks.

I'd say those boy's should have finished in at least 6 hours. Let me rephrase that, those boys would have finished in four hours had I been supervising them.

What we have heere boys... is failure to communicate

Old 06-21-2013, 11:16 AM

5,176 posts, read 7,082,940 times
Quote:
Okay, I am in taking a break from loading, moving and spreading mulch in a bed that has a lot of shrubs and shastas and roses in it. The cart holds 7 cu. yds. when level, and I alwaysmound it up as much as I can. So I did a whole cart, easily 3/4 of a yard. 45 minutes.

Granted, it's in the 70s this morning and pleasant. But let's balance that off. I'm 62 and overweight. And even if I conservatively calculated 2 hours for me to move one yard of mulch, that would come to 20 hours of labor to do the whole ten yards. I think that allows for slowing down after a couple hours. I did almost a full yard in one hour.

Maybe I should just be doing this myself, but I have so much else to do, and the DH is overseas still, not due back till the 30th. Surely, two incredibly fit high school athletes should be able to move and spread ten yards in ten hours. Not ten yards straight, but maybe a few hours at a time.

So I am going to limit the amount of time they work at one time. I'm going to work with them for a little while to coach them on efficiency. And I don't want them coming here after a grueling football practice. I know $10/hour doesn't sound like a heap ofmoney, but the kid's mother says that is plenty, and he's also happy with it, so there is no point increasing it.
Good post. $10 is a good wage for a teenager, even with manual labor. Don't over do it yourself, no matter how cool it is. Been there, done that. I don't think you are being unreasonable about the time factor. I have had a lot of mulch spread in my lifetime (70). Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. (I haven't read to the end of the end...)

Old 06-21-2013, 11:30 AM

5,176 posts, read 7,082,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
OK, I am going to have a curmudgeonly moment here so bear with me.

I paint houses for a living. I have, over the years and quite a few times, hired friends' teenagers to do "grunt work" for $10 per hour cash. Which is really quite excellent money.

With only one exception (and I remember that kid fondly) I've had to babysit teenagers who really aren't interested in, you know, doing actual WORK, have stern talks with them about not spending, literally, half their time texting (my suggestion that they leave the cell phone in the car and just check it on breaks was met with incredulity and snorts of derision), and I have also been met with astonishment when I expressed that showing up two hours later than you said you would be here is really not all that cool.

And I am extremely loosey-goosey and relaxed as a boss, but I do expect that a: the person will actually be, primarily, WORKING when I am paying that person for, you know, working, and b: will show up and do what they're being paid to do, and if they get hung up somewhere else that's OK, life happens, but just CALL OR TEXT and LET ME KNOW.

So anyway...yes I agree that paying a fair, fixed price is probably a better deal. And that way these kids will realise that the faster and more efficiently they work, the more money it comes out to be for them per hour. Win-win all around.
Over the years I have used a senior who does this work all the time in Canada, a few teenagers, a Hispanic worker and a jail bird.....the Canadian guy worked really hard and expected good pay. He got it. Sometimes he stomped my flowers. The Hispanic guy worked hard but I had to tell him everything and I paid him more than what he asked for. I have had one teenager that worked really well, the others were so so and were not really worth the effort. My current jail bird is now back in jail, temporarily, but he works hard most of the time and because I have fallen on hard times, has accepted a reduced wage. We are both hard headed and he often wants to do things his way. Sometimes I don't care but often I have an idea of what I want......so, sometimes it gets a little dicey....lol

It is hard to find someone who will pull weeds. I love being out of doors. I go out in my small garden 2-3 times a day or more, just to walk around. In years past, I would go out at 7:00 am and not come in for the day until 7:00-8:00 pm, an loved it. Can't do that anymore.

good luck, tina !

Old 06-21-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarisnowday View Post
i did all 5 of my yards with a shovel. I guess it would be called a "transfer shovel". A fork would definitely have been easier, why didn't I think of that?! At least I saved $15 since I didn't have to buy one.

You mentioned that you told them to be pretty careless about hitting plants and being neat. Maybe you need to demonstrate just how careless you're okay with?
What I described is not "pretty careless". I never said that. It's a technique I said I would show him.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

1 cubic yard per 15min per two man crew is what I plan for production with just wheel barrows and no more than 150 feet of travel.

I'd say those boy's should have finished in at least 6 hours. Let me rephrase that, those boys would have finished in four hours had I been supervising them.

Oh, BDD, I do love you sometimes. Asses and elbows -- my husband likes to say that, but he says "arses and elbows".

Old 06-21-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post

Oh, BDD, I do love you sometimes. Asses and elbows -- my husband likes to say that, but he says "arses and elbows".

Old 06-21-2013, 01:38 PM

6,490 posts, read 8,182,955 times
Quote:
What I described is not "pretty careless". I never said that. It's a technique I said I would show him.
So maybe there is a tiny bit of skill and experience that they need to gain? I know mulching is pretty simple, but I could see my 17 year old self being extra careful not to hurt my neighbor's plants or taking extra time to spread it around to look flat, uniform and neat; which as you poinsted out is mostly wasted effort since it will shift with the rain anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden