Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 06:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times

Advertisements

I am seeing a lot of European honeybees this year. Not as many as usual, thank goodness since my neighbor lost her hive, but I didn't expect to see any. I wonder where they live. I did see a lot of the big native "bumblebees" earlier in the year, but they seem to have gone awol or been chased away by the honeybees.

I've only seen one monarch this year, though. Maybe it is too early. The joe pye weed hasn't started blooming yet and they really seem to like that. The asclepias tuberosa are blooming, but the incarnata hasn't yet. Maybe they'll all magically appear when that happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 11:14 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,155,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Read this book by Barbara Kingsolver: "Flight Behavior". It's fictional, but it is about the plight of the monarch butterflies and how religious belief, beliefs about climate change, politics, and environmental beliefs all come to play in people's reaction to and beliefs about the situation. She also explains that so much of the problem is loss of habitat in Mexico, where Monarchs winter. Kingsolver's books always have an environmentalist POV, and I learn so much from her. Plus, it's just a good read!
Thanks I have heard she is a great author!!

Old 06-29-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I am seeing a lot of European honeybees this year. Not as many as usual, thank goodness since my neighbor lost her hive, but I didn't expect to see any. I wonder where they live. I did see a lot of the big native "bumblebees" earlier in the year, but they seem to have gone awol or been chased away by the honeybees.

I've only seen one monarch this year, though. Maybe it is too early. The joe pye weed hasn't started blooming yet and they really seem to like that. The asclepias tuberosa are blooming, but the incarnata hasn't yet. Maybe they'll all magically appear when that happens.
It's not too early, if you check out the links above, they have been reported to have made it to Canada already! I drove to Lawrence,KS yesterday & took the back roads, & there was milkweed blooming EVERYWHERE!!! Wildflowers galore. Not a Monarch in sight. Saw several little white or yellow ones, but usually you see Monarchs all over here. Found this website, send a SASE & get free seeds for butterfly-loving flowers!

Free Milkweed Seeds Live Monarch butterfly

Good Facebook page, Milkweed for Monarch Waystations -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milkw...782652?fref=ts

Old 06-29-2013, 11:22 AM

To say that pesticides don't kill insects... oh my lord.

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
It's not too early, if you check out the links above, they have been reported to have made it to Canada already! I drove to Lawrence,KS yesterday & took the back roads, & there was milkweed blooming EVERYWHERE!!! Wildflowers galore. Not a Monarch in sight. Saw several little white or yellow ones, but usually you see Monarchs all over here. Found this website, send a SASE & get free seeds for butterfly-loving flowers!

Free Milkweed Seeds Live Monarch butterfly

Good Facebook page, Milkweed for Monarch Waystations -
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Milkw...782652?fref=ts
I already have a lot of plants which butterflies love, but maybe you are right that they're in serious danger. I've only seen one this year...but I was also worried about the hummingbirds, but those finally showed up.

I'm not sure what I can do other than planting milkweed. There is a developer in my area who is trying to turn a 200+ acre plot into "luxury housing." I am opposing that along with many of my neighbors, but what can I do? I'm not rich. I can't stop farmers from using chemicals, and I can't stop businesses from using them, although I have tried.

There just isn't the will on the part of politicians and people with means to stop greedy development. First the monarchs, and then I guess we'll be next.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:13 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,603,681 times
Just to interject some humor:

When I lived in New York City many years ago I had a roommate who was a dancer originally from Los Angeles. When her company went on tour she would bring back small things from their trips. After one trip she opened up a bag and said "Look! I found cotton growing by the side of the road!" She had brought home a milkweed pod!

Naturally I made fun of her for being an urban baby who didn't even know the difference between a milkweed plant and a cotton plant.

It is sad, though, that so many Americans know so little about the natural world around them. That's why it's so important for us to reach out to children and get them involved with nature. If people don't grow up knowing about or understanding nature, it's so hard to get them to care about environmental problems.

Support your local state parks and nature centers!

Old 06-29-2013, 10:30 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
To say that pesticides don't kill insects... oh my lord.

For someone who knows so much on the topic of evil chemicals I'm more than a little shocked that you only now have had heard of Rachel Carson and never read her book. Silent Spring was a watershed point for so many in the conservation and environmental protection fields that Al Gore never even came close to. While it was later proven that many of her claims were not based on verifiable facts, she galvanized many people in my generation to do something to save the earth. It lead, indirectly, to the very first Earth Day back in 1970.

Last edited by Rance; 07-01-2013 at 10:46 AM..

Old 06-29-2013, 11:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Silent Spring Redux part deux.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I already have a lot of plants which butterflies love, but maybe you are right that they're in serious danger. I've only seen one this year...but I was also worried about the hummingbirds, but those finally showed up.

I'm not sure what I can do other than planting milkweed. There is a developer in my area who is trying to turn a 200+ acre plot into "luxury housing." I am opposing that along with many of my neighbors, but what can I do? I'm not rich. I can't stop farmers from using chemicals, and I can't stop businesses from using them, although I have tried.

There just isn't the will on the part of politicians and people with means to stop greedy development. First the monarchs, and then I guess we'll be next.
Very true, a big portion of Americans are greedy,selfish & unwilling to admit their roles in the destruction of the environment. What do they care about some lowly insects?

Old 06-30-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Just to interject some humor:

When I lived in New York City many years ago I had a roommate who was a dancer originally from Los Angeles. When her company went on tour she would bring back small things from their trips. After one trip she opened up a bag and said "Look! I found cotton growing by the side of the road!" She had brought home a milkweed pod!

Naturally I made fun of her for being an urban baby who didn't even know the difference between a milkweed plant and a cotton plant.

It is sad, though, that so many Americans know so little about the natural world around them. That's why it's so important for us to reach out to children and get them involved with nature. If people don't grow up knowing about or understanding nature, it's so hard to get them to care about environmental problems.

Support your local state parks and nature centers!
Totally agree! I am happy that there seems to be a large movement toward sustainable living, community gardens are popping up all over these days! I was very pleased to see my childrens' school is starting one as well! I will be donating several Butterfly Weed seedlings & heirloom tomato plants as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden