Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM

510 posts, read 905,242 times

Advertisements

I hope I am not posting too many new thread on this forum, but I just started gardening this year and I absolutely love it. I really want to make my postage stamp-sized back yard as beautiful as it can be. At the rear of my property is a fence that is about 6' high and 7 ' wide. I want to plant something that will cover at least part of it, and I am more concerned with height than width (i.e., I don't expect something that is superwide but I would like something at least 4' tall). It is an area that gets about 4 hours of full sun and then about 4 hours of dappled sun from our large tree. Any suggestions for flowering bushes? I would love something that is also fragant but that may be too much to ask for. I was thinking about lilacs--is that a good choice? Does anyone have the rebloomoing lilacs? I am open to any suggestions for lovely Zone 5 growers.
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 03:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,855,288 times
Lilacs can grow to 10 ft tall or so and may be too large for your space. A local nursery should be able to give you some info on miniature lilacs that could be a better choice. Another suggestion would be Rose bushes. Many of them get to be five feet tall and if you planted a couple of them you could have a mix of colors, fragrances and blooming times. If the fence will support vines, either climbing roses or clematis vines could be very attractive.

uh

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
I don't believe you will find a large shrub that flowers repeatedly throuout the season, but I do believe some kind of Viburnum would fit great. You say you're in Z5, but where? Most Viburnums would provide at least three seasons of interest with that kind of exposure. They flower in spring or early summer, some have beautiful fall color, and some are evergreen. Viburnums also produce berries that follow the early-season blooms, they require little if any pruning, and they are typically not bothered by pests of diseases. They are my favorite shrubs, can you tell?

My favorites are the Arrowwood, Blackhaw, Burkwood and Doublefile series. You will find websites that say they prefer full sun, but it varies, and many viburnums would thrive with morning sun and dappled afternoon shade.

The other family of shrubs I'm thinking would do well are Hydrangeas: Limelight, Oakleaf, etc. Oakleaf is my favorite, but Limelight seems to be the most popular:
Hydrangea paniculata Limelight

Old 07-02-2013, 04:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Are you looking for only one kind of plant to plant all along the fence? I personally wouldn't do that cause if one dies then you have a big hole and plants of different ages can be unattractive if you replace it.

If you plant a nice combination of shrubs along the fence line you can do some evergreen and some deciduous. I love Rose of Sharon of the beautiful hollyhock type blooms and they can get tall enough to hide your fence. the viburnum doublefile is a wonderful idea as well. If you are mixing remember to vary colors as well as texture for more interest and to create some necessary tension.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:14 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
Fellow Zone 5-er here: I agree with the suggestions for Rose of Sharon and Hydrangeas. I also remember a peony bush in our yard when I was growing up--I loved that thing! I would also research some sort of boxwood evergreen hedge that sprouts colorful berries, unless you have pets that may eat them.

Old 07-02-2013, 05:17 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,029 times
If you don't mind not having an evergreen, have you looked at a butterfly bush? Fast grower, pretty colors, and it does attract butterflies. If your 4 hours of sun are afternoon sun, I think that would be ok. We have one here in Virginia that does well without "full sun."

Or, knock out rose bush. We have some approaching 5 feet, which we actually need to cut back. Easy to care for.

Last edited by GCPA; 07-02-2013 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
I like the suggestion of asking a local nursery. If you've just started gardening, you may only think you want a bush. (Sounds to me like the area is too small for a tree, a bush, and people.)

If you go for a vine, I'd recommend not letting it grow on the fence. The roots will eat a wood fence. Not literally but they'll rot it out pretty quick.

Old 07-02-2013, 06:52 PM

3,339 posts, read 9,347,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Are you looking for only one kind of plant to plant all along the fence? I personally wouldn't do that cause if one dies then you have a big hole and plants of different ages can be unattractive if you replace it.

If you plant a nice combination of shrubs along the fence line you can do some evergreen and some deciduous. I love Rose of Sharon of the beautiful hollyhock type blooms and they can get tall enough to hide your fence. the viburnum doublefile is a wonderful idea as well. If you are mixing remember to vary colors as well as texture for more interest and to create some necessary tension.
I love the idea of Rose of Sharon! We have a Blue Satin ROS way out back. (Of course, all the volunteers never bloom blue, so I paid good $$ for it.) I should have planted it nearer the house. They bloom for a really long time here. Would they do all right with that amount of light though? I think they prefer sun all day.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:00 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
Knock Out Roses.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:02 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,941,485 times
How about Azaleas? Encore Azaleas are a bit hardy, but don't need a ton of water, and bloom multiple times throughout the warmer seasons. They can be grown to reach nearly any size (although they seem to do better as hedges) and I think they are quite pretty. I like hydrangeas but often they are a lot of work, require a lot more water and are sensitive to too much sun. Plus, when winter comes around, they look horrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden