Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:49 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times

Advertisements

My neighbor hired someone to cut down a tree that provided privacy and afternoon shade for my patio. It left a big friggin hole so we now have a view of their trampoline. I realize they did it because it was growing into my house electrical wires, BUT I already told them that I wasn't worried about that and I wanted the tree to stay. In my state, there is no liability if someone's tree does something to someone else's property so there is no logical reason for them to do this.

Now my main flower garden has more sun than the flowers that are planted there can handle, I have an awful view of their yard, and the bushes along their fence line look all hacked. Their weeds will now get sun so they can grow 7 feet tall. I could go on and on about how terrible this is.

Now I need a solution. There's two feet of property between their chain link fence and my walkway. Our utility lines are about 12 feet above this space. Things growing tall on their side were never an issue, but I can't go crazy with someone that grows tall on my side. I want to plant junipers on my side of the fence but they'll grow too high. Can anyone think of a tree or bush I can plant that will solve this problem?!?!?!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM

I need something like this but it says it only grows to 4' to 6' feet tall. I want something 10' to 12' tall.

Compressa Juniper-Narrow, dwarf evergreen, Lacy Creek Growers

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,505,929 times
Hopes there is always the potential for liability no matter what you told them. If it was their tree on their private property and it caused damage to someone else there is no law that I know of to prevent a lawsuit being filed.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Hopes there is always the potential for liability no matter what you told them. If it was their tree on their private property and it caused damage to someone else there is no law that I know of to prevent a lawsuit being filed.
It wouldn't have damaged people. I would have signed a legal document. I'm looking at the mess I'm left with and they left another tree that is growing in my wires. I think it's a maple which means it's going to get even taller than whatever they just cut down especially now that they gave the maple more space. So this craziness isn't about liability. They just never liked that tree because it was thorny. It's just going to keep growing back.

This just makes me furious. I have been here for 20 years and this is the FOURTH time they have ruined my view. The first time was when they cut down the same tree. The second time was when they hacked at their lilac bushes. She came onto my property and cut all of the lilac banches back on my side of the fence. She meant well---feeling they were intruding onto our property. But she left us with an ugly view of bare branches for years and years. Then years later they hired someone to trim down the lilacs and that person didn't know what they were doing and half of the lilacs died, leaving a very uneven hedge with holes in it. Now this! They never weed in the lilacs so we're always looking at weeds.

My house is weirdly placed on my property. It's an old farmhouse over 100 years old. Our property is huge and very private. But the house is located literally just a few feet from their property line. Their house is set far away on the far side of their property line. I only have a few feet work with to plant something that will cover up this mess and provide shade.

I could talk to them and pay for them to do something on their side of the property but that doesn't permanently solve the problem because they could change anything at any time or move, etc. I need to do something on my side of the fence.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
Hard to suggest plants without a USDA Climate Zone or at least location. I would use Arborvitae, Chinese Juniper, or Viburnum.

In our climate Rhododendrons will work and grow to 10-12' in 3-4 years, Camellia would also work but take longer to get to that size.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,953,955 times
I would file a lawsuit against them and have them buy a new tree for me ...end of story .

Old 07-26-2013, 09:39 AM

I need to mention that these are very close friends of ours. I know that's hard to tell from my rant.

I just talked to the landscaper and asked him to come over and help me figure out how to solve this problem.

Last edited by Hopes; 07-26-2013 at 09:59 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-26-2013, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Hard to suggest plants without a USDA Climate Zone or at least location. I would use Arborvitae, Chinese Juniper, or Viburnum.

In our climate Rhododendrons will work and grow to 10-12' in 3-4 years, Camellia would also work but take longer to get to that size.
I'm in climate zone 5b and 6a. I wish I could have rhododendrons. For some reason the acid loving plants rhododendrons and azalea bushes do well in my region but not well in my yard. Maybe it would have a better chance if I bought a more mature one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I would file a lawsuit against them and have them buy a new tree for me ...end of story .
You're joking, right?

Old 07-26-2013, 09:58 AM

8,073 posts, read 9,990,476 times
Whew. You need to start with a good stiff Manhattan. Your post is just crazy.

How can you cut down the same tree twice?
How can you be very good friends with people who, without telling you it was coming, cut down a tree on the line?
If the tree they cut down is 'just going to grow back', what is the problem?
If there is a tree in your view, how can you have a worse view once the tree is gone?
It is virtually impossible to kill a lilac.
Lilac leaves grow back very full each season--even in the summer after you trim them, although you lose the bloom the following spring. The idea that you were left permanently with bare branches is hard to fathom.
Here's a couple of tips:

Go on the intardent and put in your criteria: sun loving, 12' tall, six feet wide, deer resistant, drought tolerant, etc., and get a list. Keep winnowing that list until you have a half dozen ideas. Then visit your nursery center to see what is available within your budget.

A landscaper, if they are typical, is going to give you a humdrum list of the same old/same old. Strive for something a little more exciting, especially because it is right next to your house.

Do Not go in 'halves' with the neighbor or anyone else. Keep it 'yours' and accept full responsibility for it.

Finished that cocktail yet? May I have the cherry?

Old 07-26-2013, 10:02 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,534,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I need to mention that these are very close friends of ours. I know that's hard to tell from my rant.

I just talked to the landscaper and asked him to cover over and help me figure out how to solve this problem.
LOL It is kinda funny though. Close friends but you can't come to an agreement where they keep that stuff.

Frustrating to lose a big tree. I've lost a couple now that were actually dying, one from...I don't know what, but it was nice shade in the afternoon and for my neighbors in the morning. Haven't lost any to neighbors cutting them down yet, but I'm always worried about that happening to the huge one next door. More likely it will break somehow first and need to be cut.

Hope the landscaper can give you ideas, but it's going to be tough to get something that is an instant fix. Or at least expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden