Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 08:03 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

Considering that you planted all non-hybrid seeds, planted plants that do reseed themselves naturally (aka no corn), and controlled the weeds -- could you have a garden that naturally reseeds itself if you left about a fourth of your crop for seed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Seems a waste to sacrifice 1/4 of the crop for seed, when you can buy them for 89 cents a pack. Tomatoes will reseed if left but most other seeds need to be properly harvested, dried and stored.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:33 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Like vegetables?

Probably not. My cilantro reseeds itself, but everything else needs to be saved and replanted, except for the perennials.

There are several perennials that produce food.

For a flower garden, there are several things that will reseed themselves. For less work, it is easiest to grow a lot of perennials.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
A vegetable garden? I don't see why not, but for veggie gardens, I like try to rotate to prevent diseases. You can definitely have a flower garden that reseeds. Some people have things like wildflower meadows. I haven't tried that yet.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:15 AM

95 posts, read 170,957 times
Relying on volunteer plants to sprout up can be very unpredictable. Water from storms washes away seed, sometimes other things happen like plants growing over each other and they drop seeds. Those seeds then compete for space. When they compete, you get smaller plants with smaller yields. You can get more if you plan your garden and rotate crops. My flower beds I let reseed themselves, then I dig up plants and give them away or move them to other parts of the yard. If I tried that with my veggie garden, my work would never end. I save seed every year from heirlooms and have done so for about 10 years.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:30 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,733,082 times
There are a lot of perennial vegetables depending on where you live.

For colder climates, asparagus, radicchio, lambsquarters, horseradish, kale, collard greens, rhubarb, bunching onions, lovage (stalks used as vegetables), sorrel, perennial varieties of artichokes (I think needs to be zone 7 or higher), Jerusalem artichoke, etc. Some varieties of perennial broccoli too (e.g. Nine Star) though I don't know how good they are after the first year. Broccoli tends to get very bitter after the first year but these varieties may be better.

Tomatoes, tomatillos, and some others will reseed though not reliably. Tomatillos for me often reseed the next year, but not tomatoes.

Herbs: marjoram, thyme, sage, oregano, mint, chives

For warmer climates, okra, tomatoes (won't produce well year around and I think don't produce as well the next year), peppers, eggplant, ginger, galangal, turmeric, sweet potatoes, basil, rosemary, some beans and legumes, some squashes and melons, etc.

And then obviously there are a ton of fruit trees and shrubs that are perennials.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden